Starting today

KatieLouise

Am going to start calorie counting today - aiming to keep it to 1200 or less each day, and keep to healthy foods. Also starting to exercise - well, I did half an hour on my treadmill this morning - power-walking, not running, as I can't run for long - UNFIT lol So far have made a smoothie for my breakfast (a banana, some mango chunks and a low-fat Actimel yoghurt drink) but will start keeping a food diary properly here. Aiming to go swimming once a week, as well as doing the treadmill daily, gonna try and build that up. Thinking of joining a gym, but as I often lose motivation to exercise and I hate exercise, I don't know if I'd be better off saving my money and just trying at home lol

Good luck i started yesterday hope all goes well for you, is this your first time calorie counting?

I have tried a few times but never lasted very long - I break the diet, go out for a meal and when I looked at the horrendous amount of calories in pub/restaurant food I've given up! lol Determined to stick to it this time though! How about you?

I was thinking of joining a slimming club like Weight Watchers cos thought the support and weighing-in and stuff would help be stick to it, but I don't know much about them at all, how their diets work and stuff, and want to make sure I eat healthily too, not just less, and calorie-counting just seems easier!

I've tried so many times, different diets, some more successful than others; but ultimately I'm still overweight! Planning is definitely a big part of it. I really want to stick with it this time too.

I've done Weight Watchers - they allocate a points value to every food, and you have a points allowance to 'spend' everyday. Higher calorie/fat foods have a higher points value so that moderates those. I got frustrated with counting points all the time, and it doesn't really teach you about healthy eating, but it's definitely a personal thing - it really works for some people.

I find calorie counting the simplist and fuss/fad free personally. Have you counted calories before?

Hi KatieLouise....seems like you have a good plan, CC and exercise, good luck !!!
I have a Treadmill which I'm trying to get back into the swing with, I love walking anyway, so that's lucky !!!
I know what you mean about pub meals and eating out...I'm trying to avoid it if I can at the mo as it's one of my stumbling points. Sure there are healthy choices usually, but really I get tempted by all the other stuff !!! How much weight are you trying to lose ?

Iv done weight watchers before but got bored of counting points, i do tend to go off track then give up. I think with calorie counting its easier you dont have to look through a book to track points just look on the back of the packet, how much weight you planning to lose?

Weighed myself today and I'm 10st 13 - urgh :( Want to get back to about about 8st 7, not sure how long it's gonna take to shift all that though!

Yeah calorie counting does sound a lot simpler and easier to stick to. With WW I think I'd be tempted to just buy the WW food at the supermarket with the points already on, and that food isn't always healthy! lol Also - decided to cut out - or at least cut down on them a lot - pasta and bread cos I eat far too much :( and drink lots more water :)

Hiya Katie
Well at 1lb a week thats 34 weeks which takes you to the start of June just in time for summer but Im sure most weeks you will loose more than a lb so then it will be even quicker ...slower weight loss is better for maintaining and your health so they say :)

Yeah, sounds like a long time but I guess I'll start looking and feeling better as soon as it starts coming off. Would be nice to get to my ideal weight by the summer, as it's my graduation and 21st birthday in July which are two things I want to look better for.

It's just when it starts getting slower and harder - I tried last year, and got to 9st but couldn't go any lower, didn't lose anything for a few weeks and got disheartened. Guess I'll just have to up the exercise and try harder and be patient!

I see you're aiming for June too :) Good luck!

You can well do it ...and you'll probably do it way before june

Hey hun welcome and good luck! hope you have a great weekend, i've done WW tbh loved it, but i did a year of it losing almost 5 stone it was amazing, but after a year needed change so over to CC now :) but if you want to try WW let me know and i have a few good links etc good luck xxx

Back