still a no go

cherylxx

Silver Member
possibly tmi here but here goes.
well , im getting a little worried.
its now the end of day 5 of my restart and i still havent 'been' to the toilet.
i have had fibre89 every day (double dose this morning as well).
yesterday i tried a sachet of movicol which did nothing so early this afternoon i had a further 2 sachets (still nothing)
i have had tummy ache coming and going since yesterday morning and i feel bloated.
when i did cd last year i had to leave after 3 months due to extreme toilet issues.
in that time i tried senna, dulcolax, califig etc but nothing seemed to work.
i am drinking around 4-5 litres water a day.
I just dont know what to do now. i do NOT want to stop this diet again but i also dont want the threat of hospital if this persists.
im wondering whether maybe i should try suppositories ( i know, tmi, sorry:eek:).
any advice would be gratefully received right now everyone.
the only thing i know that would defo make me 'go' is eating normal fibre rich food and i so dont want to do that now that im in ketosis.

i still have the same probs on ss+ .
i had chicken and lettuce last night in the hope i would 'go' but nope.
its all the protein and not many carbs thats causing the problem but i dont want to have a carb meal for obvious reasons :(

While you're 'backed up', taking Fibre 89 may be backing you up further. It's a bulking agent BUT doesn't itself help your bowel to move. It simply gives the bowel something to move - problem is your bowel has gone on strike :(

I suffered throughout SS+ (meal option) with this problem, although some folks don't - but I have an especially sulky bowel! I found Dulcolax the only remedy when it got as bad as you describe. It's very strong - and not necessarily recommended whilst on CD but it's the only thing that got me shifting. I also deployed Dulcolax suppositories to great effect (and relief). In combination, the two should sort it out.

Abdominal massage for constipation, especially after a warm bath, should help too. You can massage yourself or a significant and trusted other could do it for you (which is very effective as they can massage more deeply) - Google that and you should find the exercises.
Try to massage with some fennel essential oil in an almond base oil, or at the very least some baby oil.

And relax! - if my own experience is anything to go by, you're probably now quite wound up and that won't help either.

I don't have a major problem luckily, but i do find that having the peanut bars make hell of a difference in frequency and 'ease', and its still ss too! All the best finding a remedy xx

Hi cheryl

My strategies are very much like MissPinky's.
Last night I took ducolax and have also used suppositories since starting this diet. Luckily te ducolax works with great effect for me. Having a warm bath and drinking warm fluids, plus the massage, are great ideas. I had never done a specific massage but will now look into it as I do remember nurses talking about it (and advising it as part of a package of treatments for people with constipation) during the later stage of my hospital based career.

If this didn't help then perhaps the next stage could be a chat with your local pharmacist about what they would recommend. They should be familiar with CD as some pharmacies sell Lipotrim and from my own experience, I have met senior pharmacists in Lighterlife groups.

thanx for the replies,
unfortunately i already know i dont tolerate dulcolax well as last time i tried them i ended up in agony as a result.
i will try the massage but unfortunately a soak in the bath is a no no also :sigh: as i have severe osteo arthritus in my knees and havent been able to have a bath for quite some time. showers only im afraid :(.
sending hubby for some glycerin suppossitories (what the hospital gave me a while ago) and they should definately make things move, albeit rather unpleasantly.
tummy is hurting real bad right now, i look like im about to give birth and weight loss has halted so anything is worth a try.

Have you tried a strong coffee, that stimulates the bowels and can help get things moving.

xx

Coffee is also an excellent stimulant! When the bouts of constipation have eased, and to promote daily visits, my morning pot of strong brazilian coffee is pretty much guaranteed to get me toddling off to the loo. The people who share my cell space at work are well used to it, and reckon they can set their watches by the regularity!

omg i feel so fricking awkward. i HATE coffee.
i wonder if i would be able to get a cup down though. will try that.
its not like i have a lot in my stomach if it makes me sick. lol

Hi - support drinking strong coffee. Like Mrsessex, I do SS+ as my body absolutely needs some food to function properly. I eat a fair amount of spinach and broccoli with my SS+ meal choice, and aside from problems in week one, I have not had difficulties at all. Tx

hi
if you are blocked so to speak you can have up to 8 movicol in one day
thats what we gave the patients who came in with blocked bowels then a 1 or 2 movicol everyday to keep them regular.
i warn you though when they do work its explosive and very loose (sorry tmi lol)
you shouldn`t get pain using movicol thought unlike dulcolax which can give you severe cramps and pain when passing
good luck

thanks kaz for that.
i tried a strong coffee this morning. just to note i have NEVER tasted strong coffee before. ive always detested the smell of coffee so the strongest ive ever managed to taste (and never managed more than a few sips) is mellow birds.
well, lets just say i never saw the bottom of the cup :jelous:. drank about 1/4 of it which took about 15 minutes and then i was very sick:(. im guessing that isnt going to help much.
i will try 8 movicol tonight i think . do u know if it would make a difference if i had more water with it than it states. i cant stand the 'thickness' consistency of it.
i am also going to the docs at 4.30 so will ask his advice and hopefully get some glycerin suppossitories.
my stomach this morning is as hard as stone and really swollen looking.

thanks kaz for that.
i tried a strong coffee this morning. just to note i have NEVER tasted strong coffee before. ive always detested the smell of coffee so the strongest ive ever managed to taste (and never managed more than a few sips) is mellow birds.
well, lets just say i never saw the bottom of the cup :jelous:. drank about 1/4 of it which took about 15 minutes and then i was very sick:(. im guessing that isnt going to help much.
i will try 8 movicol tonight i think . do u know if it would make a difference if i had more water with it than it states. i cant stand the 'thickness' consistency of it.
i am also going to the docs at 4.30 so will ask his advice and hopefully get some glycerin suppossitories.
my stomach this morning is as hard as stone and really swollen looking.

sorry things are still bad for you hun xx

thanks night.
i have to admit im starting to feel a little despondant right now.
i feel like im doing this and all im doing is making myself poorly.
how u doing hun?

Try the relaxation and massage. Also a heat pack - one of those grain bags you put in the microwave. Lie down and relax with the heat of the bag then do a long slow massage.

I have always had very bad bowels (since having my gallbladder out 5 years ago). I was in hospital for a month and didn't go for 10 days. Anything the hospital gave me didn't work. The only thing that shifted it is lactulose and I always keep a bottle now. Have had a few toilet issues since doing this diet but a very tiny amount of lactulose always makes me "go". I must have very sluggish bowels! I researched its contents on the internet and apparently it doesn't have any sugar (carbs) in and doesn't affect my blood sugar (I'm diabetic so need to know its not full of sugar) which surprised me. Give it a go!

Back