still confused

Emmamc1

Hi I'm still getting confused and trying to get used to atkins even though I am on day 9 of the induction, I have lost weight but I think it was mainly water, and I keep reading about ketosis and the signs of being in ketosis, and I have not got any signs, and the stix the chemist give me are called diastix not ketostix and they are negative, so am I not on ketosis, I have I am eating right to, I've already been given a bit of advise, but still confused

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Hi Emma, the initial weight loss is indeed mostly water weight - when we eat carbs we tend to retain water - reduce carbs, the retained water goes, this is exactly as it should be.

Signs of ketosis are hard to read. Diastix and ketostix will both show ketones, people usually get ketostix because they are usually cheaper.

Lots of reasons why you might not be showing any colour on the sticks. First, are you testing first thing in the morning, that is when the reading will be highest and that is when you should check. Second if you are drinking lots of water, the ketones can end up very diluted and so you don't get a positive reading. Also, the body does use ketones for energy, sometimes all the ketones are used up so you won't see any in the test.

Finally, there are two sorts of ketones that our body can produce. The sticks test for only one sort. There is a very small percentage of the population who only produce the other sort, so won't ever see a positive result on the sticks.

Best thing really is not to worry about it. Make sure you are eating sensible portion sizes, make sure you are eating the right amounts of veg, and make sure you are getting enough fat. MFP is very useful for this. You are aiming for 65/30/5% of calories from fat/protein/carbs. Also make sure that you are not getting any hidden carbs - for instance have worked out that one not very big dollop of HP sauce was 2.5 grams of carb, bit of a surprise that.

Have you got a copy of New Atkins New You ? - it is all in there, I've found it very helpful.

Hi, thanks so much now I really understand, yes I do drink lots of water 3lts a day, and I have just downloaded MFP today so hopefully it will help, and yes I've just got the book too, again thanks great advise

Thank you for asking this! I have the same problem on atkins I seem to lose weight but the ketostix never ever show me as in ketosis :(

Hi cf70, I know its annoying isn't it, it makes me worry ha thinking the diets not working but it must be if We are losing weight

I'm on day 6 but I've done it before, how much have you lost so far? x

I've never done it before, I'm on day 13 I lost 11 pound so far but it all come off in first week, what about you

Wow 11 pounds in the first week! That is amazing! Well done you :) at this rate it will take you no time to reach your target weight!

I'm on day 6 and I've lost 6.5 lbs so much less than you but I am still shocked as usually it takes me ages because I am nearing my goal.

well done us :) stick at it! x

Thankyou, I think it must all been water because I've not lost since which is making me feel a bit rubbish ha, 6.5 in six days is good too, so well done too xx

Don't feel rubbish - it's very common to have little or no weight loss in the second week of induction after a big first week loss. Your body is adjusting. After the second week it should start settling into the Atkins average of around 2lbs per week - sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

Read the Atkins tips and tricks sticky, it's mentioned there.

Back