Still struggling.

Lynn8124

Gold Member
I have been trying to stick to CD for the last couple of months or more. In fact I've been trying to get back into a vlcd for the past 2 years and 3 months with limited success. Ten days is all I have managed.:(

I joined Overeaters Anon (OA) last week and went on retreat with them which i have enjoyed immensely. Although I'm on a bit of a downer now I'm back home to reality lol. My second meeting is tomorrow night.

I am putting WLS on the back-burner for now. I so want to gain control over my compulsive eating. If I was able to stick to CD810 it would put me in control and save me having to think what to eat.

I could use CD for my 'plan of eating' for OA. The support I will get from my meetings means so much and is just what I need.

Last edited:
Lyn dont fall into the trap of thinking CD is the only diet that works, clearly after all this time its not the diet for you. What you need to focus on is your desire to lose weight, and perhaps now look at other options. CD is a fantastic diet, but like all diets, its not for everyone and theres no shame in admitting its not for you *HUGS*

So in answer to your question... as far as a VLCD is concerned. then yes maybe it is

I agree entirely with Starlight.

I can't stick to a VLCD for more than 5 days. I've still managed to lose weight though!!

x

Dont give up if you have the support now from OA then thats realy good. If it seems that you have been trying for 2 years on and off on one diet why dont you try another becasue it looks like the one your on isnt working for you hun.

good luck

Thanks folks. OA doesn't advocate any particular diet, most people committ to having 3 moderate meals a day and no snacks. Abstaining from over-eating in general or sugar/bread etc.

As everyone else has stated, maybe cd hasnt been the right diet for ya but that doesnt mean that you cant succeed on anything else. Dont give up chick, believe in yourself and ya can do anything. All the best with whatever diet ya decide to be on, take care

Hello, I haven't understood a thing in your post lol is there anywhere we can look up these terms .. vlcd...wls? Anyhow, I really hope things work out with your diet plans soon x

You're not admitting defeat, because most diets, if not all, can fail for anyone Lyn8124. I don't think it is a case of it not suiting you. It's great that you are trying to work through the overeating though, as this is a tough one (I've swung all ways with ana, bulimia and compulsive overeating in depression)...try not to calorie count or think if it as a diet (this can fuel the food addictive behaviour)...diet happens to be one of my trigger words or modes...not sure what you could call it...just eating to feel nourished? Examining why you eat when you don't need to (that is tough and emotional)...keeping busy instead of turning to food? Drinking lots of fluids? There is so much else you can do besides 'diet'...forget the word diet for now, because it may be the trouble spot for you that it was for me...I attended OA for almost a year back in 2002/3...

Oh hey thanks for that nexangelus. How did you find OA, I'm enjoying the sharing and support right now.

I found it helpful in one respect, as my marriage was very rocky at the time and I needed the outside support greatly. I made a couple of friends there too.

On the other hand, I found the group atmosphere not helpful to me after a while...I ended up frustrated and crying at and after most meetings...feeling really depressed that nothing I was doing was helping my terrible eating...perhaps the timing wasn't right and the stress of a failed marriage is what actually caused my eating disorders to get worse whilst I was attending the OA meetings...(I had just finished 12 'successful' weeks on lipotrim which is another vlcd - this is why I mentioned the 'diet' trigger, it sent me spiralling into bingeing, purging, etc)

Some people do better in group atmospheres, some alone...I know I prefer to train alone at the gym, whereas most people I know like a partner, friend or a group of people to train with and be that extra push, company, etc...

Do what works for you, I found it really hard but helpful at the same time...

Last edited:
Thanks girls xx. :) The good news is I am not gaining. I am still having some cd packs and trying not to binge. I must be doing something right if I am down 14lbs or so. I honestly believe I will succeed someday. :D

you have to deal with the underlying problem and you are doing this so try to feel positive about it. I'm an overeater too, just yesterday I was shovelling in the choc bars, ham, cheese spread, biscuits in secret whilst OH in garden having a fag. kids got the telling off for eating the almond slices out of the cupboard and could convince dad that it wasn't them. I'm sitting there not saying a word and feeling guilty. Thats just not the right behaviour for an adult. I know that but still did it. I don't think that my brain works properly at times, you don't choose to overeat consciously I don't think. I haven't done OA, I dealt with being 16stone by doing lighterlife about 4 years ago, and I spent the next 2 years struggling to burn off every extra calorie I ate at the gym. did that till had some major traumas when I stopped exercising and piled the weight back on. Restarted CD SS about 2 weeks ago and was doing great till couple of days ago. Let my triggers (tiredness, stress and frustration) tip me over the edge and now I'm desperately drinking water and staying on computer passing time away from the fridge till ketosis kicks in again, This is a lifelong demon I'm beginning to think and needs a lifelong strategy, If I can help you on your journey then I will
Jxx:wave_cry:

you have to deal with the underlying problem and you are doing this so try to feel positive about it. I'm an overeater too, just yesterday I was shovelling in the choc bars, ham, cheese spread, biscuits in secret whilst OH in garden having a fag. kids got the telling off for eating the almond slices out of the cupboard and could convince dad that it wasn't them. I'm sitting there not saying a word and feeling guilty. Thats just not the right behaviour for an adult. I know that but still did it. I don't think that my brain works properly at times, you don't choose to overeat consciously I don't think. I haven't done OA, I dealt with being 16stone by doing lighterlife about 4 years ago, and I spent the next 2 years struggling to burn off every extra calorie I ate at the gym. did that till had some major traumas when I stopped exercising and piled the weight back on. Restarted CD SS about 2 weeks ago and was doing great till couple of days ago. Let my triggers (tiredness, stress and frustration) tip me over the edge and now I'm desperately drinking water and staying on computer passing time away from the fridge till ketosis kicks in again, This is a lifelong demon I'm beginning to think and needs a lifelong strategy, If I can help you on your journey then I will
Jxx:wave_cry:

Hi there jayne, thanks for your message. LL was my first successful vlcd. I couldn't believe how easy it was and lost 3.5st in about 14 weeks. Also been on LT and CD. I keep hankering after the fab success of my first attempt. I feel I am worse than ever eating-wise, totally out of control which is another reason I would like food out of the equation.

Also been considering surgery but can't decide which op is best for me or even if I should bother. Sometimes I wish I had someone to make my decisions for me!:D

I totally agree that it's gonna be a life-long challenge and I am using the 'one day at a time' strategy right now.

Go easy on yourself. xx

Hiya, I do think its much harder 2nd, 3rd, 4th time round etc,. When I did LL the first time round I was so excited that I'd finally discovered a "magic" answer. I'd never heard of it till someone reappeared on the scene about 6 stone lighter in about 4 months. All of the preparation etc made you really consider whether you were going to take on the challenge, and after all that effort you kind of had to do it. Also I was at my heaviest ever.
I got down to 10stone 10 with a BMI of about 23.5 and felt fantastic (despite being told on a regular basis I'd taken it too far and looked gaunt)
Didn't do maintenance then as the counsellor moved on and there was no other group nearby
Did go back to returners but couldn't get into it
Then couple of years later tried cambridge on and off, have now found a great counsellor who helps me get back on track when I fall off, and listens to me. Before if I've failed (cos thats how i see it when I have a bad day) I've just not gone back and put more weight on. Now I still go even if I've not had a great week. Figure its the only way I'll get there in the end.
We'll do it together hey!
J;)

what surgery have you been considering, I don't know much about it other that what i see on tv, realise that we all have to do what we thinks right but maybe like LL it would drop the weight but not deal with the problem. I beleive that you can still put weight on if you overeat with gastric banding but not sure how or why, There are some surgery threads further down the forum list which may be worth looking on. Its not something I've considered but I did have my boobs reduced after LL - stretched them again with the weight gain but at least don't knock myself out at step classes now. Would love to have belly done. Looked like chicken skin when I was 10stone 10 it was minging Jxx:eek:

I would like to have my second stone off by Xmas day, taking me to 19st 11lbs. As there's only 26 days between now and then it'll have to be something I can committ to 100%.

I haven't drank any coffee for 8 days now which is pretty good going for me, as in the past I only last about 4 days. I'm drinking fruit and peppermint tea plus the odd cup of ordinary tea with a little milk. I am not buying in any milk either because I could sink a 2L carton in an evening if I took the notion.:eek:

HI Lyn, is it a whole stone, you probably will do it but the thing is, If you stick to it 100% and say lose 12lbs will you then be disappointed, there is nothing else you could do other than drink the water and have the amount of food packs your supposed to have, yes you could do some exercise but I struggle with this sometimes being a bit of a gym freak in that I can end up ill due to doing too much on 3 foodpacks a day. Just consider is this an achievable goal for you, take the pressure off yourself babe
J:whacky068::character00115:

Back