Still wearing my "Fat" goggles...

Bella30

Silver Member
Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone can relate to what I am about to share. I started Slimming World on 4th Jan and yesterday I weighed in and lost another 2lbs taking my total weight loss to date to 42lbs (exactly 3 stone).

The support, encouragement and praise I have had from my friends and family has been priceless and I know I wouldn't be able to do it without them spurring me on.

I have gone down nearly 2 dress sizes, have lost inches and look so much better in my clothes. My BMI has taken me from Obese to almost in the Overweight category which is something I haven't seen for ages so it's all there in front of me showing how well I am doing.

I exercise 4-5 times a week and still have another 2 stone to lose but the problem I have is I still see myself through my "Fat" goggles. Although my body shape is changing and I can SEE this happening, I still look at myself and cringe! My legs are still stumpy, my stomach still needs lots of work and my bingo wings don't seem to be going anywhere. As for my bum, well there's another story altogether!

Can anyone relate to me? I have been putting together a photo album of my weightloss journey which is helping but I still see fat everytime I look at them.

Am I being silly or has anyone else had these concerns whilst losing weight?

Any advice would be very much apprecited.

Bella xx

You've undergone a fantastic weight loss transformation in a relatively short space of time, I think a lot of people find it hard to adjust to that at first so I think a lot of people will relate to you.

I go through different phases of noticing my weight loss on myself. One week I'll be really pleased with how my arms are looking, but will still think the rest of me is far too fat, and then the next week I'll notice my collarbones appearing for a few days and that will be something I'm pleased with, but my arms will fall out of favour again. Does that make any sense? Maybe that really is just me!

I think you'll catch up eventually though, especially as you get nearer to your final goal. I find photos taken by other people help too: photos tagged on Facebook don't scare me anywhere near as much as they used to, and they're actually highlighting to me just how far I've come.

I'm exactly the same hun, I lost most of my weight over a year ago and still sturggle with actually believing i'm smaller. Some days I feel huge and then other days I catch a reflection of myself in a shop window or soemthing and think 'who's that' before actually realising it's me!

All I can say is you do get more used to it as time goes on and also massive well done to you on your fab weight loss! x

I have exactly the same thing. It all still looks the same to me without any clothes on - particularly when I look down rather than in the mirror!

I did something yesterday that I found mega helpful though (its been a very slow week at work!) there's a website called my virtual model (mvm.com I think) and you can basically make an avatar of yourself with actual measurements. Yesterday I made an 'old' me from 3 stone ago and a new me and put them next to each other for inspiration. There is a massive difference when you see it on screen and it kept me off the cakes for one more day!;)

Thank you so much for your messages of reassurance. I was starting to think I was sounding like an ungrateful madam! I was talking to a friend about it today and they said that it's probably down to the low self esteem I had before starting to lose weight. Although I am feeling happier within myself, those negative thoughts are still very much on the surface so it's a case of addressing them to let myself move on and accept the new me. It's a very odd feeling isn't it? I'm glad I'm not alone thinking like this though...where's Gok when you need him! lol

Roopstardeluxe - thanks so much for that website info, I will definitely check it out and see if it helps.

Love Bells xx

I totally understand what you are talking about.

Although I haven't lost a great deal yet I do often ask my OH if we see a larger person "am I as big as them" he in turn gets really mad with me because I can't see that I am smaller.

Anyway it probably has a lot to do with the fact that EVERY mirror in our house is from my shoulders up. Haven't had a full length mirror in my house for about six years.

Hi, yes, I have the same thing - however, I don't know if it is because, in one way, I didn't actually feel that 'fat' when I was bigger - I suppose it creeps on and becomes 'normal'...

I knew I was overweight, clearly, and often I didn't much like how I looked in photos, but I think it can be very hard to accurately judge your own size...

...have you seen where on one of those tv makeovers (it may be Gok Wan?) they ask a woman to place herself on a continuum, with the slimmest girl at one end of a row, and the biggest girl at the other? - it seems people generally find it very hard to judge where their own body fits on that line of bodies!

I have exactly the same thing. It all still looks the same to me without any clothes on - particularly when I look down rather than in the mirror!

;)

im the same! in my clothes i think " ooh i thnk im getting skinnier" then when im in the shower i look at my self and think im not :confused:

I can see the difference in my body but I also still feel very fat, although i've lost 6 stones and am now a size 12... it's crazy, i'm almost a healthy 'bmi' and i still feel obese.. i think it's up to us to love our bodies and try and feel confident in them, it's hard but you must recognize your efforts! xxx

I know exactly how you all feel. I am now a size 12 and yet still see a huge person in the mirror and in photos. I know, scientifically, I am smaller and yet my eyes can't see the difference. It's only when I pull out a pair of size 18 bottoms I kept that I can even see a change. I used to think that hitting a 'normal' size would make me feel a million dollars but I constantly compare myself to other people. I always say I'm not a 'real size 12' because when I see other girls in the same size as me, they look so much slimmer that I can't believe it is true!

I'm exactly the same. Only recently I have started to see myself in a better light.

I've finally come to terms with the fact i won't ever look like a supermodel, and let's face it, photoshop plays a massive part in how they look so perfect.

I try to just tell myself ' i am healthy and happy' when i look in the mirror rather than...ewwww look at that lumpy bit x

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone can relate to what I am about to share. I started Slimming World on 4th Jan and yesterday I weighed in and lost another 2lbs taking my total weight loss to date to 42lbs (exactly 3 stone).

The support, encouragement and praise I have had from my friends and family has been priceless and I know I wouldn't be able to do it without them spurring me on.

I have gone down nearly 2 dress sizes, have lost inches and look so much better in my clothes. My BMI has taken me from Obese to almost in the Overweight category which is something I haven't seen for ages so it's all there in front of me showing how well I am doing.

I exercise 4-5 times a week and still have another 2 stone to lose but the problem I have is I still see myself through my "Fat" goggles. Although my body shape is changing and I can SEE this happening, I still look at myself and cringe! My legs are still stumpy, my stomach still needs lots of work and my bingo wings don't seem to be going anywhere. As for my bum, well there's another story altogether!

Can anyone relate to me? I have been putting together a photo album of my weightloss journey which is helping but I still see fat everytime I look at them.

Am I being silly or has anyone else had these concerns whilst losing weight?

Any advice would be very much apprecited.

Bella xx

I know exactly what you mean! I've lost 6 stone and I still look at myself so negatively. You just have to start to like what you see and see the good not the bad! :)
xx

Back