• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Stock Made With Bovril?

Hi guys,

I am far from an experienced chef and want to make the spaghetti bolognese on the slimming world website.

One of the ingredients says, "227ml/8fl oz stock made with bovil".

I am so unexperienced in the kitchen that even what stock is confuses me but the only thing in the supermarket called bovril was a beef extract that you add to milk to drink.

I bought that but was really unsure so also bought some Knorr beef stock cubes.

What do I use??

Do I add a teaspoon of bovril to 227ml of water and use that as the stock?

Or do I use the regular knorr stock cube instead?

Or do I combine them in some other way altogether?

Please help! Thanks!

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
S: 12st6lb C: 11st12lb G: 8st6lb BMI: 28.5 Loss: 0st8lb(4.6%)
Oh you are so cute, glad its not just me that sucks at cooking - I don't know what to do with bovril either which is why I stick to stock cubes and syn it! But I assume you have to put some of the bovril in hot water but I don't know how much.

squiddie

Getting fit for 30!
S: 25st5lb C: 25st5lb G: 11st1lb BMI: 54 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
Bovril is advertised as a savourty drink, you get a teaspoon full it a cup and add water - thats exactly how you make bovril stock! Its about a teaspoon for each 250ml :)

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
S: 22st0lb C: 19st7lb G: 10st0lb BMI: 55.1 Loss: 2st7lb(11.36%)
Good luck with your recipe Royston, and good luck on your SW journey too.

Circes

Strutting her stuff
S: 17st12lb C: 10st7lb BMI: 22.3 Loss: 7st5lb(41.2%)
Just so you know the stock made from Bovril is free but stock made from cubes has a syn value - usually 1.5 syns per cube although OXO cubes are a bit less.

judimac

Mad old Bat with Attitude
S: 14st5lb
That is my only cheat! At 17 cals a cube I can't see it makes any difference (Half an apple)

Minders

Finding inspiration
S: 17st9lb C: 14st5lb G: 12st7lb Loss: 3st4lb(18.62%)
I use both... if I'm being strick, I use Bovril (either chicken or beef), but if I have to use my tried and trusted Knorr stock cubes, then so be it. At 1.5 syns for a cube, for a recipe that serves 4, it's not something I'm going to lose sleep over. ;)

mumto4

S: 11st10lb C: 11st0.5lb G: 9st7lb Loss: 0st9.5lb(5.79%)
I can only find bovril stock cubes so just use my oxo instead.