Stock Made With Bovril?

Royston

Hi guys,

I am far from an experienced chef and want to make the spaghetti bolognese on the slimming world website.

One of the ingredients says, "227ml/8fl oz stock made with bovil".

I am so unexperienced in the kitchen that even what stock is confuses me but the only thing in the supermarket called bovril was a beef extract that you add to milk to drink.

I bought that but was really unsure so also bought some Knorr beef stock cubes.

What do I use??

Do I add a teaspoon of bovril to 227ml of water and use that as the stock?

Or do I use the regular knorr stock cube instead?

Or do I combine them in some other way altogether?

Please help! Thanks!

Oh you are so cute, glad its not just me that sucks at cooking - I don't know what to do with bovril either which is why I stick to stock cubes and syn it! But I assume you have to put some of the bovril in hot water but I don't know how much.

Bovril is advertised as a savourty drink, you get a teaspoon full it a cup and add water - thats exactly how you make bovril stock! Its about a teaspoon for each 250ml :)

Good luck with your recipe Royston, and good luck on your SW journey too.

Just so you know the stock made from Bovril is free but stock made from cubes has a syn value - usually 1.5 syns per cube although OXO cubes are a bit less.

That is my only cheat! At 17 cals a cube I can't see it makes any difference (Half an apple)

I use both... if I'm being strick, I use Bovril (either chicken or beef), but if I have to use my tried and trusted Knorr stock cubes, then so be it. At 1.5 syns for a cube, for a recipe that serves 4, it's not something I'm going to lose sleep over. ;)

I can only find bovril stock cubes so just use my oxo instead.

Back