STOP THIEF !!!!!!!!

fillymum

synful soul
Yesterday at work at our unit in the antiques centre I was working the stall on my own as DH had just gone to the loo. No problem there we often leave the stall with just one of us on it.

One of the things we had on display for sale was a 91 piece 24 karat gold plated cutlery service in an oak box. The price tag £850. It has been greatly admired and we have had a few offers for it.

A young man called me to the far end of the stall toask some questions about a lovely 1930's Royal Doulton tea service. I answered his questons politely knowing he would not buy it. As he walked away the lady to the left of me who sells retro clothes shouted........."Sue, Sue he has your box " she is Dutch so was struggling to get her words out in English in the heat of the moment. She had seen the accomplice of the young man close the lid of the cutlery box and put it under his arm and walk away with it. It weighs a ton !!! She continued to scream instructions " him, him,in the blue shirts " Boy am I glad I have lost weight. I ran after him, shouting " STOP THIEF, POLICE, POLICE, he dropped the box, I caught him, yes me I caught him. One of the other stall holders went to get someone from security. I returned to my stall.

When DH returned I went to find out what was happening. Several people had said the would act as witnesses.

Imagine my shock and horror when I was told they had let him go !!!!! I questioned the security man who informed me that the man had no goods on him and that it was more or less my own fault for having such expensive items on display.......duh !!!! I then spoke to the head of security who also adopted the attitude that it was my own fault and actually said in front of the crowd that had gathered that I had put temptation in the mans way by having the stuff in an accessible place. Words fail me !!! Though a lesson has been learnt and the cutlery service is now well behind the stall and can only be seen on request.

You know me I always take the positive out of everything and the positive here is that I discovered I can run...........thank you SW.

It was all very exciting.

I'm glad that you weren't hurt in all this. Security sound useless. I'm glad you got it back. xx

Well done for catching him, just sorry that there was no justice - very unfair that he got away with it :-(

Back