Stopped smoking and losing weight!

Angela55

I know, I must be completely mental lol
I stopped smoking last year for 8 months, but started again a few months ago and gained 4st 9lbs! It took me nearly 2 years to lose 4st and I put it back, plus more in just a few months!
Anyway, whining over!
I decided to proof to myself that it's possible to lose weight and stop smoking at the same time. The idea is that the eating less will distract me from smoking and the other way around.
So far so good! I am 2.5weeks in, been smoke free and lost 3.5lbs the first week and 2lbs last week.
I've had enough of diets! Been dieting for years and ended up bigger and bigger as a result :-(
I even became a SW Consultant, but I really didn't like it!
Paul McKenna is my man now LOL
Well, he said he could make me thin :D
Is anyone else following McKenna? I've used it before, but somehow slipped back into old habits. I know it works and it just makes sense!
I must say, I am eating so little at the moment, that I almost feel like I am not eating well enough. I am by no means hungry though and I really do eat what I want. Cornish pasties, chocolate, chips, pizza to name just a few, but the portions are small!

Jeez, more power to you! I've been contemplating doing the same thing. I was shocked when the shop keeper asked me for £7.11 for 20 Mayfair the other day. I hadn't realized they'd crept up so high. How have you quit are you using any patches or gum etc? Super good luck!

Hi Mahri,
I couldn't stop smoking without any aids! I would probably end up being a widow and my children in care! LOL
I am using Nicorette 16hr patches and the Mist spray. I tried to stop smoking 100's of times before just using patches, but most of the time didn't even last a day! The spray is a god send! I use it everytime I feel like I might crumble or when I am stressed and it seems to do the job. At the moment I am still using it quite a lot, but I know from last time, it will get less and less. Just having it with me is a bit of a crutch! Something to cling onto I suppose!
I know what you mean about the price of cigarettes! That was one incentive for stopping, along side my wheezing and coughing!
I smoked 30 a day! Add it up and that's over £10 each day....over a month £300.......per year £3600!!!
My 10yr old daughter asked me for something in a shop before I stopped again and I told her she couldn't have it, because I had no money. I then went and bought 40 cigarettes. She said to me "Mummy if you didn't smoke, we would have lots of money!"
Quite sad that it took a 10yr old to point that out to me! :-/

Its possible! I took champix tablets forgot i smoked and started slim fast at the same time .
14 weeks and a holiday and nights out later i am 2 stone lighter and smoke free

Wow Tink! I pull my hat! I used Slimfast before and found it really hard, so good on you to manage to stop smoking too! Great loss! :)

It was my youngest daughters 9th birthday party yesterday. Need I say more? Party food, cakes, ice cream, sweets...I overate by a ton yesterday! Old habits die hard!
Before I used to beat myself up and carried on being "bad", but really, there is no need for it! Even the slimmest person in the world has the odd day when they eat over the top. It doesn't make them fat over night does it?
Here's to a new day! :)

Last edited:
Thanks i thought i mite aswel be misarable both ways for a while get it over with ha ha ! Amd the tablets are amazing. Im just down to one shake now n calorie counting . Its helping me break out the habbit of eating just for the sake although its very hard at time and yes i do give in lots!! But like you say dont write the week of.

I think with 'naturally slim' people they understand already if they have a big pub meal they then have something simple for tea. My mum is very slim and has no idea about calories but she just knows if shes had a big weekend shes good in the week. Im getting better at it but still a way to go before im comfortable doing that relaxing at weekend or for occasions then reigning it back in!

Good luck and you seem to have the right attitude to do it!

Week 3 smoke free! I stopped using the patches 5 days ago. Not because I wanted to, ran out and had no money to get new ones, so just used the Nicorette Mist spray. Actually, it was fine, so I decided not to buy anymore patches. Stocked up on spray for our holiday!
Lost 1.5lbs this week...total of 7lbs in 3weeks. Am very pleased with this loss as we had 2 BBQ's and my youngest birthday party, so plenty of lovely food in abundance!

Tink, I know many so called naturally thin people and I observed them eat like a vulture! They eat slowly, way less then I do and know when to stop and say no if they are not hungry. So, they do everything I didn't do!
Most thin people I know don't compensate the when they eat too much! They just carry on living without thinking about it! They mostly haven't got a clue how much they weigh. I strongly believe that we have to relearn to listen to our body. It has all the signals to tell us when we had enough to eat!
Eating as above does take a bit of getting used to, but then again, all diets do, but I rather eat what I like!

Well done. I am currently doing the same thing. I started WW in June and I am at day 3 of my 100 days of no smoking challenge. Everyone is very quick to say things like that is silly or don't push yourself, blah blah blah. Well my frame of mind is I should push myself. We are designed to be able to deal with many things at once. I did eat a little too much yesterday but that is no problem as I went to the gym this morning and worked it off. I have found the gym is a very good distraction and emotion manager. Good luck to you, you should be very proud.

Back