Stopping smoking-mood swings

Emmamb

Silver Member
My hubby had his last cigarette at 8am yesterday-how long will his bad mood last?? I can't even describe it as mood swings cos he's been foul since about 7pm yesterday evening.
I've been snapped at because his poppy wasn't in the bowl-nearly strangled as he yanked the quilt because he didn't have enough and just generally growled at.
Thank goodness he's gone to work today but I'm at work tomorrow morning and he's got the kids to look after and I can just imagine the carnage!

Is he wearing patches does he have anything to help with his cravings? My son has stopped he got an inhilator with little nicotine things that go inside to puff on. Its can last a while till the worst of the cravings go away, his body will be craving nicotine and he will be mad with himself for not having a fag and wanting one its turmoil. GOOD LUCK

The first three days are the worst.

This is why he'll be so grumpy...

Actual Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms

These are temporary and aren't much fun. You might get none, some, or all and more!

* Your mind will play tricks on you and try to dominate your thoughts. Mood swings, loneliness, lack of concentration, emptiness, agitation, stress, anger, self-pity, and just general crankiness might happen. These psychological symptoms are explained more in Side Effects of Quitting Smoking.

* Headaches or a general heaviness. This is a classic smoking withdrawal symptom, often caused by your sinuses clearing out.

* Shaking, sweating or feeling very cold.

* Coughing, hacking, runny nose, wheezing and shortness of breath. Seems strange to get these when you've quit, but your body is ridding itself of years of tar and built-up residues. In other words, at last taking the opportunity of having a good clean-out.

* Insommnia is common. Well, it is stressful to quit and break your normal patterns. As with all stress — good or bad, sleep challenges can surface.

* Sour stomach or stomach pains. Your digestion might get out of whack for a little while.

* Pains, pains, pains. Some smokers get stomach cramps, sore gums, pains in chest... pains anywhere. Your mind and body are going through a healing crisis and they are going to remind you of what they are missing.

* Tiredness and a general zapped feeling.

This website is a brilliant resource for people quitting (and those supporting them)...
WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource

Wishing him (and you!!) lots of luck with this x

He's wearing patches and keeping himself busy doing weights etc when he's not at work. I sent him a text this morning saying I know it's tough but we love him....is it bad that I'm glad he's not gonna be in til late tonight? X

Good luck to him- and you!!

My mam has smoked all my life (i've always hated it) and she used to try and stop and be the grumpiest person ever. She stopped again about 3 weeks ago though with some tablets from the doctors and she's not having the mood swings these times- thank the lord x

I did a smoking cessation group a few years ago and they said stopping smoking is harder than giving up drugs.Worth it in the end financially and physically Good Luck

Back