Stopping smoking whilst on SW...Slow down weight loss??

charliebecca

I know, i know filthy habbit blah blah blah but i have started to exercise regulary and feel giving up smoking (which to be fare is only 5-7 a day) would benefit, but ive heard it can slow down weight loss. Has anyone experienced this? I know everyone will says i should give up anyways but any one have any scientfic facts?

Nicotine, like many other addictive drugs, may act as either a stimulant or a sedative. Whether its effects are energizing or relaxing depends on the amount of nicotine taken into the body and on the individual's metabolism, the amount of stress that person may be experiencing, and the time of day.
But there is evidence that nicotine's effects also differ at different times of the day. The first thing in the morning, nicotine seems to act as a stimulant, not just of the brain but also of the digestive tract. Later it acts as more of a sedative.

...but smoking does kill!

Most people do put on weight when they stop smoking because they tend to substitute cigarettes with food.
I have spent 30 years stopping and starting, the longest time being 4 years. Every time I stop I tend to eat sweets but most of the time I was not doing SW. The one time I was, I ate more fruit and drank lots of water and was ok.
My son, who has always been skinny and tried everything to put on weight without success is delighted that he put on nearly 2 stone in six months when he stopped smoking! He does eat from morning to evening though and lots of chocolate which he didn't before.
So, if you stop smoking you can put on weight if you substitute the cigarettes with "bad" food.

Nicotine raises your metabolism and can cause you to use an extra 200 calories per day. When you stop smoking your metabolism doesn't have this added boost. Also if you eat more to make up for the lack of cigs, it's a double blow to your weight loss efforts.
As you smoke less than 10 per day, your metabolism isn't getting much of a boost, so if you y to keep to your eating plan, exercise your weight will still come off. If you use nicotine replacement for a while, your metabolism will still have the boost.
My OH was a heavy smoker and after many attempts gave up 3 years ago. He ate lots of cream cakes and chocolate for the first 6 weeks but was fine after that.
Have you seen Celebrity Quitters on channel 5 this week? It's very interesting. Good luck.

I've been watching that programme!

Just a quick question...why do you want to lose weight? If it's for health reasons then quitting the cancer sticks is also vital! Go for it! Good luck :D

x

PS possible added reason...I'm a teacher. We were doing circle time and talking about our fears. Most came out with spiders, the dark etc. One girl said, in tears, that she was scared of her mum dying because she smokes too much. It makes you realise what a profound effect your actions have on those who love you! So good luck! X

Smoking DOES boost your metabolism, it IS an appetite suppressant, and it damages your taste bud so that food doesn't taste as good anymore. That's the positive sides of smoking, 3. I or anyone could list ALOT more negatives, strain on your heart, lung disease (a multitude) death! I'm honestly not preaching here I'm a smoker myself! Like Malaika I have been on and off for years. Just recently started again and I feel yuck with it. Me and my OH plan to give up again on saturday because like you I really want to get back to my swimming. Giving up smoking means you will be able to exercise more and for longer, that's a weight loss solution to counteract giving up. Good luck let us know how you get on and I will too :)

Wendy

Hiya

I stopped smoking last February and I was on SW at the same time. I realised on SW I could eat a lot of food, so I decided to stop smoking and use it to my advantage. By July 09 I had lost 2 stone and was completely off the cigs (I used nicotine inhalators to quit). I was losing between 0.5lb and 3lbs a week, with bigger losses randomly, so I wouldn't say it slowed my weight loss, it was about the same as before I had quit.

(I went off SW in July due to crazy hectic things going on, and I put all of my 2stone hard work back on and didn't see sense until October.. but I never started smoking again, never will!)

Good luck!

Hiya,

I'm on slimming world and have been since last June. About 3 month in I decided to quit smoking. It seemed silly to be putting all the ahrd work into losing weight to be healtier and still smoke 20 a day. I brought an electric cigarette and I haven't had a cigarette since the end of Septemeber. I carried on following the plan and apart from my holiday and over christmas I continued to lose weight at the same rate as when I was smoking. Speak to you consultant and let them know you are planning on quiting, mine was great she gave my sound advise and some leaflets which heled. Plus once your group know they'll encourage you to keep not smoking as well as slimming.

Good luck you can do it

I brought an electric cigarette

Are they any good? my boyfriend wants to quit his 20 a day habit and has been smoking since he was 12...now 31. i bought him an alan carr book but he is yet to pick that up!

Hiya

I stopped smoking last February and I was on SW at the same time. I realised on SW I could eat a lot of food, so I decided to stop smoking and use it to my advantage. By July 09 I had lost 2 stone and was completely off the cigs (I used nicotine inhalators to quit). I was losing between 0.5lb and 3lbs a week, with bigger losses randomly, so I wouldn't say it slowed my weight loss, it was about the same as before I had quit.
Aww thanks for that post you've no idea how inspiring that is! :)

Wendy

Hiya,

I brought an electric cigarette and I haven't had a cigarette since the end of Septemeber.
I've got one of those my mom gave it to me and I've tried it and it's really good. Only thing is I have no packaging to get the name etc to search for, and have run out of the capsule thingies, do you know where I can get more of them?
TIA
Wendy

I've got one of those my mom gave it to me and I've tried it and it's really good. Only thing is I have no packaging to get the name etc to search for, and have run out of the capsule thingies, do you know where I can get more of them?

I've seen them online mostly, I thought they were more an alternative to actually smoking rather than a quitting device? The whole point is they aren't affected by the smoking ban so you can get your nicotine fix without going outside for it. I may be wrong though! I would recommend the nicotine inhalators if you want to stop (I tried patches, Allen Carr, cold turkey & 'cutting down' before I used the inhalors). They're pricey (£22 a box I think?) but I actually went to my chemist and got them at prescription price £5, all I had to do was visit once a week and talk to the pharmacist about how I was getting on & pick up my supply of cartridges. I was on them for about 6 weeks before I didn't need them anymore. Btw, I had been smoking since I was 12 and was on more than 20 a day by the time I got round to stopping! Almost 8 years, scary stuff....!

I've seen them online mostly, I thought they were more an alternative to actually smoking rather than a quitting device? The whole point is they aren't affected by the smoking ban so you can get your nicotine fix without going outside for it. I may be wrong though! I would recommend the nicotine inhalators if you want to stop (I tried patches, Allen Carr, cold turkey & 'cutting down' before I used the inhalors). They're pricey (£22 a box I think?) but I actually went to my chemist and got them at prescription price £5, all I had to do was visit once a week and talk to the pharmacist about how I was getting on & pick up my supply of cartridges. I was on them for about 6 weeks before I didn't need them anymore. Btw, I had been smoking since I was 12 and was on more than 20 a day by the time I got round to stopping! Almost 8 years, scary stuff....!
Thanks for your reply penguin. I did a quick search online (why didn't I do that before? duh!) and they are an alternative but I think after a quick read they don't have the same toxins, so not sure if I should use it to help me give up or not. Maybe I'll keep it for when I go out, a hard time for me alcohol=cigs to me lol, instead of all the time. I am going to try the chemist prescription, was supposed to go today but work and sons activities got in the way, so monday now. Well done for getting off and being so positive about staying off, hope I can do the same :)

Wendy

No lecture from me!

Hi OP, I'm glad you posted this as I have also been thinking about giving up. But I wanted to wait until I was at least half way to target as I don't want to add more pressure on myself at the moment. I already think constantly about food and I couldn't cope if I was also constantly thinking about cigarettes. Like you, I am also quite a light smoker and I am looking forward to giving up. In fact, knowing that I have a target weight for quitting is encouraging me all the more to get there, rather than putting it off lol.

Good luck with it, I will be thinking of you whilst I continue to smell bad and be anti-social!!!!!!!!!!

i started to quit smoking once i started the diet and if u wanna try the lozenges, they start making fags taste really unhealthy. but you've got to be in the frame of mind, i've given up because i can't do 2 things at once x

I quit whilst on slimmingworld. Over a year ago now, never hindered my weight loss, nore did it make it any better, but i found it alot easier quitting whilst already in the swing of things as i could deal with my cravings through free food.
best thing i ever did.. you can do it too :)

I gave up in January 2009 and was already on SW so didn't have a problem with 'extra' eating but when I had tried to give up before I used to munch for England!

I gave up smoking while doing slimming world, I use the patches.

Yes the weight lose has slowed down but I am still losing the weight

Back