stress and weight loss

bloodcoveredprincess

Loving Life with TeamRH
Does anyone here think that stress affects their weight and in particular their ability to shed the pounds?

I don't mean that it makes them eat more, but that it actually affects their metabolism?

"Does anyone here think that stress affects their weight and in particular their ability to shed the pounds?"

According to Dr. Pamela Peeke, even if you eat right and exercise, chronic stress and anxiety levels can prevent you from losing weight. In fact, you might even gain weight. Even worse, you will gain this weight primarily in your belly area.
So, yes I believe that stress affects you're whole body.

Yes it does, I'm living proof hahaha. Stress causes me not to sleep high means my body isn't getting any rest at all which isn't healthy and holds on to everything that goes inside my body.

Yes definitely! Stress can do some horrible things to you :(

Definitely true... agree with all that has been said and part of the increasing weight can be due to fluid retention due to stress.
As I am in almost constant pain which is very stressful as you can imagine..I have been having regular deep tissue massages which helps me to relax and in so doing has helped in my weight going down..slowly but surely.

I definately agree, I ended up seeing a surgeon because of "a pain" in my stomach after a lot of consultations with him and an MRI all he could put it down to was stress, apparently the stomach is where Stress attacks ??? and he had no idea why.

Totally agree. I know I put my weight on due to stress, it sucks! Some people lose when stressed, I just gained, and mainly on my belly!!!!

After a bad merger at work and some personal stuff, i started getting really bad stress which led to insomnia, anxiety, and then depression (got diagnosed with GAD in 2008), I stopped working out (too tired all the time) and being careful with my diet and just started eating, comfort eating and just eating whatever I wanted, because I didn't have the energy for anything else but getting thru each day with the least stress possible, thankfully things have got so much better this year finally, especially as amongst other things my boss who was making life hell for everyone got sacked in January, amazing how other people can screw you up!!?? Energy vampires! I didn't realise how much his negativity effected me till he was gone. Anyway I feel like something has just clicked in my head, maybe the pressure just eased with not having to deal with him everyday etc and having dealt with other stuff, I feel like myself again finally and even though I still have sleep trouble I can cope with it now and feel positive and have energy to focus on things like my weight again...

I can't believe how much stress, etc, can drag you down and ruin your life, I learned so much though through my experience and how negative my thinking was before, worrying constantly really didn't help me. Now I don't give into it. I just hope I never succumb to the dark side again.

I feel for anyone going through this, it's so hard, and you really have to work to beat it.

Good luck to anyone that is struggling, I empathise completely and will try to help if I can.

CBT for dummies is a book I found useful and asmr and whisper videos for relaxation, wish all of you all the best xxxx

Last edited:
I have been told by the medical people that my metabolism is messed up and I put it down to stress.....

All three of my children have severe medical problems and there is a lot of other stress in my life too.... over the last few years I have lost four of my six siblings and a nephew and my niece has recently been diagnosed with stage three cancer.

Oh my god that's horrible, no wonder you're stressed!! Dealing with loss and illness with family is one of the hardest things to go through. Thinking of you xxx

Oh my god that's horrible, no wonder you're stressed!! Dealing with loss and illness with family is one of the hardest things to go through. Thinking of you xxx
Thanks Igg

I wanted to go to the Slimming World group because I am very isolated... kind of stuck in most of the time because I have to look after my little boy (who just happens to be 17 and 6ft)

He has a weird illness called Kleine Levin Syndrome... you might have seen something about it in the media ... they call it Sleeping Beauty Syndrome....

He sleeps for up to 23 hours a day and has various other symptoms - it is very rare only 1 in a million people have it ... on top of that he has Aspergers and a bowel problem JOY....

And would you believe it... my youngest daughter who is 27 (and bipolar... yet more joy) just found out a few days ago that the blood disease she has Idopathic Aplastic Anaemia has progressed in to something else paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria which only affects between 1 and 5 people per million... you cant tell me my kids aren't special :rolleyes:

Now we are looking at 6 months immune suppressing treatment for her followed by 6 months kemo and then a bone marrow transplant....

My other daughter is a chronic depressive and decided to have gender reassignment (sex change) and after three years of hormones and a double mastectomy changed her mind.

I definitely think that stress has had an effect on my metabolism.

I think stress has definitely affected your metabolism too and no wonder, that is a hell of a lot to cope with!

Life can definitely be tough and make it hard to see the positives, I hope you have some though and some support for you, as you have more than your share of challenges, it sounds like you're the rock supporting everyone, but you probably need some support sometimes too especially dealing with so many stressful things.

Really wish all your children the best.

Did you join your slimming world club yet? xxx

Back