struggling to get ww points out of my head :(

Dan8317

Hey all,

I'm a serial diet switcher but last thursday I took the plunge and joined a sw group for the last time (I have not been a member for well over a year). I use to attend a ww group before then switch and try sw at home when I got fed up but got nowhere. I really want to give sw a good go this time as I have friends and family who have lost a lot on it and it seems to fit in better with family life in my instance. Only thing is I'm really struggling to get the points system out of my head. As a veggie I eat a lot of rice, pasta, potato etc and as these where high points as they're high carb I'm really worried about weigh in. Any advice on how to deal with this would be great as I'm enjoying this week not having to count everything and seem to be eating a lot healthier which can only be a good thing.

Thanks
Dan x

I haven't ever done WW myself but difficult as it may be i think you really need to just try and forget about the points. SW works in a completely different way - yes pasta or rice may be high in WW point but it will fill you up for a lot longer that the same amount of points worth of, say, chocolate. So overall you are not eating as much.

Which plan are you doing? I am vegetarian and I do the the green plan. My advise on this would be to not overly rely on pasta and potatoes as there are so many other free foods you can be eating. I only have pasta maybe twice a week and potatoes once - so probably a lot less than some people doing EE. I use different kinds of rice, noodles, cous cous, lentils, pulses and grains and build my meals around the superfree as this helps with portion control. I also recommend using wholegrain versions where possible as these will fill you up for even longer than the white versions :)

I was always a ww girl and when I made the switch to sw it took ages to get the points out of my head. Thats one of the reasons I went off ww to start with - all i thought about was points. But I eventually stopped - it just took a while

I know how you feel.... about 10 years ago I did WW and lost 4 st... and I still think in points... but I think the 10-15 Syns are easier... I did calorie counting too and lost 4st as well but got fed up count to 1,000.... I am enjoying SW so much more as it doesnt seem like a diet, basically you can eat as much as you like and my husband does as "it's free" so we never feel hungry until it is mealtimes with the occasionaly syns added in it doesnt seem like a diet.. it works!! He has lost a stone and I am on my way to half stone. It is so much healthier without eating all the WW made up foods and snacks.

Hi Dan
I did WW a few years ago and lost 2.5 stone. I reached the point where I was beginning to use my points on crisps and chocolate and finding myself hungry in the evening with next to no points left to eat with. Someone recommended SW and I made the switch. I am one of those people who wants to be doing SW when on WW and vice versa. Like you I couldn't get the points systems out of my head. After bouncing back between the two I finally realised that I needed to choose - I threw out my WW books and joined SW online. I'm finding being full and satisifed is out weighing counting the points if that makes sense?! Because my WW books aren't in the house, I'm not tempted to point my SW food. This week I lost 3lbs. Go with it and trust the plan - those pesky points will soon be just a memory!
S x

Dan, I am an ex WW'er and I really struggled the first time I joined SW - I joined almost immediately after quitting WW (I quit because as my weight went down, so did my points and I started to really struggle and resent the diet) I struggled to get my head round SW because portion sizes and points and weighing and measuring were so drilled into me. I gave up after about 6 weeks and really wish I hadnt as I would probably be at goal now if I had stayed. Instead I ended up putting all the weight and more back on. Now ive joined again, properly this time and believe it or not you really can eat all that!!

Dont give in like I did, stick at it and maybe have another read through your book to get your head round it. Im not a veggie but I am a lazy cook, therefore I pretty much live off pasta and jacket spuds! I felt the same, and worried about weigh in wondering how i could possibly eat so much 'high points' food and lose weight but I did!

Stick at it and give it 100% and it will show. I could never turn back to WW now

Sure you will do great :)

I don't know how to get them out of your head, as I never followed ww myself. But my first consultant did ww first and she said the first few months of slimming world she had slow losses as she was still hung up on points, when she finally decided to let that go and just go with slimming world she started loosing weight.

Just trust the plan, if you can just forget about ww for a week and do slimming world, you will see a loss. What do you have to loose? If it doesn't work one week can't do too much damage. Just go for it :)

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies its much appreciated :) well I managed not to point a single meal all week and have my first weigh in in the morning so fingers crossed. Have been tempted to jump on the scales at home but have managed to stop myself after all if I'm going to pay to go to a group then why weigh at home.

Must admit I'm slightly scared and will be embarassed if I've not lost or worse still had a gain! Must think positive though as I have stuck to plan and been exercising.

Thanks again for the replies and good luck on your weight loss journeys,

Dan x

Dont ever be embarassed about your weight change, good or bad. Lots of people have disappointing 1st weighins but then do great in 2nd week, so stick with it! And let us know how you get on!

Well I weighed this morning and so pleased, I've lost 4lb this week :) really happy with that because generally I'm a slow loser so its a nice boost to start with.

Will definately carry on with sw and see how I get on in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed it carries on like this as I don't actually feel like I'm on a 'diet' and for the first time in a long time it feels like its finally clicked into place.

Good luck everyone,

Dan x

I find sitting down to plan my meals reall helps me get out of WW habit ! Even on SW I am still concious of portion size but more so I dont waste food xx Good luck xx

Back