Struggling

Greeneyes11

Gold Member
I have been doing JUDDD for just over 6 weeks now and never had a problem with my DDs as I came over from SnS so was used to eating little food. But today for some reason I am struggling big time, I have drunk over 3 litres of water and have had around 300 calories, the rest to be used tonight for dinner but I am starving and I dont know why. The last time I remember being starving on SnS I didn't even lose any weight.....

Greeneyes11 said:
I have been doing JUDDD for just over 6 weeks now and never had a problem with my DDs as I came over from SnS so was used to eating little food. But today for some reason I am struggling big time, I have drunk over 3 litres of water and have had around 300 calories, the rest to be used tonight for dinner but I am starving and I dont know why. The last time I remember being starving on SnS I didn't even lose any weight.....

Oh no, stay strong. Maybe try some soup? Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I know how you feel - somtimes it's so easy & others it's a reeeeal struggle
I must admit, I usually just decide to go over on those very hard days, only to 6-700kcal & make sure I eat healthy. Not sure if it impacts my loss but makes me feel a lot less grumpy.

Good luck with the rest of your day - & remember tomo you can eat whatever you like :)

Okay I worked out that after my dinner I had 60 cals left so I have had an apricot and a strong cup of coffee with milk in. I do feel much better now.

Thanks for the encouragement girls.

I also get the odd really hungry DD I think its only natural and depends a lot on what you have done, activity wise that day, some nights I go to bed hungry and dreaming about food but the sense of achievement I get after completing a successful DD, keep that in mind and its Sat tommorow and an UP day so hang on in there xx

Last edited:
Oh I could've wrote this today too!! Same as you came over from s n s so used to low cals but I have major pmt and I am tempted to eat my own arm!!

I just keep repeating to myself "I can have it tomoro, I can have it tomoro!!"
I look and sound like a mad woman but it has kinda worked!! ;)

X

I struggled yesterday too, was feeling a little light headed, ended up having a can of diet coke, was supping it at work on the afternoon. Seems to work for me, rather than water.

I use miso soup. very strong taste and bout 12kcals. I find my DD meals are usually quite spicy/strong flavours, they seem to help me feel that I have eaten.

Maybe you will find your 'magic' food/drink. Good luck!

Guys, I don't know if this helps, but I've just finished reading Johnson's book (well, the science and how-to-do-it bits, anyway), and have learned the following:

1). Once past the initial two weeks, he says you can increase the DD calories if you wish, to a level you find sustainable - and you still get the health benefits. Weight loss may be slower, but fast weight loss that you can't sustain is no good to you - think tortoise and hare. Johnson says some people find it easier to have DD's of between 25-35% of normal calories - but he himself does DD's of 50% much of the time! That would be around 1000 cals for most of us.

2) there're one point where he talks about eating extra calories on a DD if you have exercised. So if you walk briskly for 2 miles, burning 200 cals - your DD level would be around 700 as a minimum

3) A complete fast for 24 hours activates the SiRT gene, the activation is still evident more than 24 hours after the fast has been broken, and then wanes over the next few days. This means that a DD every 3-4 days is sufficient to turn the SiRt gene on and keep it on, which is what gives you all the health benefits, protects lean muscle and inhibits fat storage. Have a look at the picture in chapter 5 of a conveyor belt filling up a vat with DD's/ SIRT activation. Now, the more frequently you do DD's, and the lower your calorie intake on those days, the quicker your vat will fill (full activation). But once it's full - a DD twice a week will keep it topped up, and it takes 21 days without a DD to lose all the benefits. (I'm guessing that this waning over a few days business is the origin of the 5/2 fasting regime described in the Horizon programme - 2 DDs a week would be about the minimum to keep SIRT activated)

If you want to make this weight loss permanent, you need to stick to the programme long-term - and you won't do that if you are so hungry on DD's that you want to chew your own leg off. So, up the calories on your DD's - maybe all of them, maybe just the ones when you feel extra hungry. Be patient, it will work.

PS- I was on a DD yesterday, and although I prefer to eat in the evening, our schedule dictated we eat at lunchtime. I had two wholemeal rolls with low fat egg Mayo, and an apple - that's easily 600 cals. Later on, I was really hungry, and didn't help that DH felt so hungry and shaky he decided to have a bowl of cereal. So, quite late on, I had a cuppa soup - an Ainslie Harriot one, I think it's about 80 cals. I still count it as a successful DD!

Barbara

i agree with Barbara, i've ended up upping cals on DDs to get through them to say a cut off of 600-700 instead of 500 then maybe cutting back on the ups by having 1700 instead of 2000. im finding this works for me as if i go over slightly then i dont feel ive 'failed'. then on my ups, im not eating for the sake of it either by lowering the intake as it keeps me focused on eating healthier options such as more fruit and veg :) x

Hi everyone, I started JUDDD nearly two weeks ago and I found I can not function on 500 cals. I have quite a physical job and I walk everyday so I have been having 600-700 calories on my DD 3 times a week.

All my calories on my DD are nutritious and I normally go over the 600 mark becauase I add more veg to my dinner.

First week I lost 2lb, which doesn't seem alot for the first week of a new eating plan but I haven't lost weight for a while and I was very happy plus I enjoyed my weekend and I honestly do not feel like I am dieting.

It will be a quiet weekend this week so come Tuesday morning I may have lost a bit more.

Back