Sugar free life!

One tip i will give with the appetite situation: most of us have empty plate syndrome (have to clear the plate). Eat slowly and stop eating when you are full. Still food on your plate? Chuck it. And before anyone says that its a waste, if you keep putting it in you when you dont need it its still wasted!

My tip on plate syndrome is use a smaller one and only put one layer.Don't heap your food up on it.

Hi Taz, still reading and off tomorrow to search the library for some of those others. I'm now definitely of the opinion that sugar is just pure poison. I downloaded your list and have it on my phone now while shopping but need to read more as I'm still confused as to why glucose is good.
I've been reading labels, I chew sugar free gum when driving and walking ( prevents travel sickness and reflux) and my gum has 5 different sugar substitutes, 3 on the banned list and 2 on the maybe list.

So just checking fruit juice concentrates and fruit concentrates are bad but whole fruit is good.
If I make my own cereal bars with mashed banana or pureed fresh apple will they be considered sugar free.
As I said still reading and lots more to learn.
Many thanks

Hi folks,

new to this site, interesting reading this thread, I have been trying to do a low sugar diet and thought I was safe having my aldi miwadi... just looked at the ingredients list and its made from concentrate fruit juices..... going to have to force myself to drink water again, might try putting a lemon into it to try make it taste better...

Have to agree with ye about sugar being so addictive, my diet is based around whole foods, minimal processed foods, no meat or fish (vegetarian 10+ years) and minimal sugar... for the first few days I had awful headaches... but I stuck with it. It does get easier....

Tipperary, if you mash up and puree or stew fruit you change the molecular structure and the fruit sugars become free sugars like any other. Where possible avoid any fruit juice, concentrate or purees. Chewing gum is bad on so many levels not just for the substitutes they contain. You can get stomache ulcers if its a regular habit. When you chew your stomache acids get excited expecting to receive food. When it doesnt the acids have nothing to do but stay in your gut. This same process actually makes you hungry as your body thinks its missed out on something when the expected food hasnt arrived.

Hi Orla, welcome! I find after about the first week it gets a lot easier but you can be easily swayed for about a month.

I have read many books on this subject, science based ones and peoples accounts of their own journey. Heres some i recommend:

The sweet poison and the sweet poison quit plan by David Gillespie. These are great books that explain the sciencey side of it in terms even I can understand! This guy really has researched this subject and has great advice for a sugar free life.

I quit sugar by Sarah Wilson. This book I believe to be my saviour but time will tell. I fell off the wagon big time leading up to christmas, the sugar started creeping back in and before I knew it I was feeling rubbish and getting through sugary snacks and foods like :eatdrink023:

At the beginning of this year I cut it all out completely again. About a month in I found i was still reaching for the odd sugary snack when i didnt really want or need it. Those sugary snacks soon messed up my appetite control and i felt like I was losing my grip on it again. Not wanting to slip back the way i went Before christmas i downloaded Sarah's book. This taught me a very valuable lesson. All this time I've been fairly strict about staying below 10g of free sugars and beating myself up for going over it feeling like I've failed. But one of Sarah's tips is to allow a bit of flexibility and not pressure yourself. After all, this is not a diet it's a lifestyle and it has to fit into life. Now im back to where I want and need to be sugar wise I'm not afraid to have a slice of cake at someone's birthday and i know that i wont enjoy a muffin or a chocolate bar.

Thanks for the great info Taz, I'm actually doing quite well with everyday foods and then don't freak out the time I do have sugar...it is usually planned and deliberate like a chocolate bar at a show or cake at a friends house. I am.being very careful to avoid added sugars in food avoiding processed foods and only eating home made bread. As for chewing gum, well its chew the gum or throw up...I get very travel sick even when I am driving.
I have some of those books on my Amazon wish list.
Thanks

Yep, I've made ginger and lemon tea and sip it and it works in a slower long term way but gum or mints are more of an immediate fix. I don't have a huge amount of it, maybe 1 piece every 40 minutes as I'm travelling.
Looking for alternatives but this seems to be the simplest.

Sometimes you just have to do what you need to do. I do endurance cycle events and i have to eat sugary snacks for the quick energy boost at the stops. I don't mind too much as i know my body will use the sugar rather than it turning to fat but it never really feels right

Hello, ive just found this forum again, i went totally sugar free from jan 18 to may 18, then got pregnant and found sugar cravings to much to resist, then went sugar free again in nov 18 and carried it on and is still sugar free, not as militant as first time, as this is for life so not being upset if have tiny bit but still actively avoiding it. Had my baby week and half ago and have lost just over stone since pregnant, is anyone still sugar free?

I have tried sugar free diet and surprisingly it worked, my weight went slowly down. Just do not stop, otherwise it will not work properly. Of course i missed sweets but i was happy to eat fruits, somehow it made me happy

I quit sugar for eight week and I feel much more in control of my food choices and what I put into my body, which is what I really wanted to get out of this experience. I’m also much more aware of which foods contain sugar. I look forward to continue listening to my body so I can feel happy and full of vitality, life force, and natural energy!

Back