Suggestions for getting through the first week

Mr Creosote

Thought it would be a good idea to have a collection of thoughts and advice about how to get through the first difficult week.

I am at the end of Day 2 and ofcourse I am struggling but getting there.

The best advice I read was , If you think the LT diet is too extreme and bad for your health [which you will tell yourself when you are desperate for food] Remember, if you could have done it any other way [by simply cutting down on food] you probably would have by now.
Also the LT diet can in no way be as unhealthy as having a BMI of 35 plus[ which many of us have when we start] and plus you can fill up with MacDonalds all day and still be malnourished [ i.e Not recieve the correct amount of vitamins and minerals ]

This has kept me on track so far but early days.

The old A.A adage 'A day at a time' is very good I feel, after all we are as addicted to food as an alcoholic is to alcohol.

Last edited:
hi hun im doin cd which is similar to wat your doing, my only advice is try and drink plenty especially wen u feel hunger pangs and try 2 do things 2 take your mind off eatin when ya hungry things like popin on here 4 support.. 1st 3or 4 days are the worst from then it should get better good luck xx

keep breathing dude, always works

I heard something recently...

"every experience can make you bitter or better"

and Im damn well making sure my LT is helping me to become better in health and in mind.

water, baths, here, and when suffering with the transition into ketosis realising I had survived worse hangovers lol

water,:tear_drop::tear_drop: water,:tear_drop::tear_drop: water:tear_drop::tear_drop: & more water:tear_drop::tear_drop:...every time you get a grumble in your tum, a thougth to eat...just grab a bottle of water!!!

And keep posting on here!!!;)

lol! true bout the hangovers!! getting into ketosis is a peace of p*ss compared to some of the tequila induced hangovers i had at uni!

Water it is then, the cravings can be very intense at times, when do they subside ?

when you are fully in ketosis...but you will still have the odd craving...but it will pass.. keep going..you are doing great!:)

As a lovely young lady once said on here

"Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels"

It's kept me on the straight and narrow and is sooooooooooooooo true!

x

:) stick with it hun, its well worth it, like everyone said keep drinkin the water:tear_drop:, keep thinking about your 1rst WI, because when you see how much you will have lost you will be on such a high, and that inspires you to carry on and do it. Good luck x x:D

Three things got me through my first week and they are:

1. A hot drink every couple of hours- expands the stomach thus ridding you of hunger. Teamed with drinking water I didn't feel hungry at all as my stomach felt full all day.

2. Computer game called Spore. It's got a creature creator. The OH bought it for me the first week so I could be on the computer doing something rather than sat about being bored. So keep yourself occupied be it reading, walking, a hobby etc- its stops you thinking about the fact that you've not eaten.

3. Being positive. I admit that my first week was not tough. I thought it would, be but it wasn't. The only reason as to why I have found LT easy is because of my attitude (and I think this is the case with most people who are successful). I woke up on the Monday dreading the WI, but knew that I could do it. I had the first shake and told myself that I can do this. I have continued to tell myself this even when things have been pants. Once you stop saying this to yourself and get caught up in the 'it's so hard' circle, that's when you fail. The more you think about how hard something is- true to form it becomes even harder! And that's when the thoughts of food take over..... you can imagine the rest :D

Good luck xxx

Totally agree with Medea, being positive definitley works.. think thin lol.. good luck x

keep yourself occupied, stay on minis for support and if u can, stay away from the tv! m&s ads are the work of the devil and ull find that most soaps etc are based around food and drink (roys rolls, the queen vic, the caff, the woolpack, the rovers, viv's caff etc etc!) and it drove me crazy!

I forgot to mention something...

.... supportive family helps! My OH wouldn't let me cook for the first 2 weeks cos he knew that would be really difficult for me. I only really get to cook at the weekends for my family and he said that he would do it until I was ready. Bless him! xxx

sniffing!

enjoy the smell of food, and although the craving is there, you prob realise as well as the rest of us, that nothing tastes as nice as it smells!

take the chippy, always smells great, even when you get served a crappy portion of chips that are stale, refried, cold, undercooked etc... still smell as great. bakery shops, the smell there is a combination of cooking, not one item tastes like the smell. so enjoy the smell, and realise that the taste would be a let down anyway. ;)

sleep - go to bed early, lie in late, day dream about stuff you'll do 'when i'm slim' etc... entertained me for hours!

sign up to an open university course! you can do taster courses that are easy to manage and reasonably priced, i am doing two at the moment, psychology and counselling. they have one obesity which i am starting next, kind of have to really, still obsessed!

I have now started dreaming of looking in a mirror and seeing the fat me! its nice to wake up now, when i started i dreamt about being thin and woke up fat! lol I know which is better!

good luck!

Back