Sunday roast at someone elses house

needtoslim

Hello! I am having lunch at a family members house on Sunday and am a bit worried as from past experience I know most things will be cooked in oil and lard.
I dont want to say that I cant eat stuff as last time I did I had to endure an afternoon of everyone discussing my weight and making comments like "Ooh, she used to be like a rake! Do you remember?" as if I'm not there.
So, can anyone offer any advice on how I can work round the meal please? I have been on SW for nearly 2 weeks and have stuck to it 100% so am not thrilled at having to blow it over one meal.
Thanks so much.
xx

could you not contact the family member who is to be cooking the roast and just ask for 1 tray of roast veggies to be done in frylight for you. I'd be really upset and angry if anyone in my family wouldnt support me in my losing weight by not accomodating the fact i dont want my roast dripping in fat!! Last time we were at hubbys aunts house, i just took my own fry light and asked to just do my potatoes etc myself, so i knew they were ok. At the end of the day your doing this for you to be healthy and if my family cant support that then tough!!!!!

How rotten that your family members are not as supportive as you need them to be.

I suggest you bite the bullet and tell them you are on a healthy eating plan and that you would like more fibre and less lard to eat. It may be uncomfortable on Sunday, but they will have to get used to your new lifestyle, especially with Christmas looming.

The way I am thinking is, if they want to be good hosts they should accommodate your healthy eating needs.

I have been veggie since childhood and I would expect family members to either not invite me at all or choose to invite me and feed me veg. No questions. It is the same difference as your situation IMO.

I am with Silly sausage on this.. I too am Veggie and expect to be accomodated for, i would accomodate others if i was the chef!

I have a friend with coeliacs, a nephew with a serious nut allegy and some vegan mates. A good host would take such things into consideration.

Don't apologise for your healthy eating needs. They will be doing veg anyway, roasters that can be frylighted as suggested, chook that can have the skin removed etc

Thanks everyone, I shall see what I can do. I have to call the hostess tomorrow anyway so shall explain. I may say I am having a few issues with my tum and that I have to have low fat stuff as oil affects me. Sounds plausible I think?
I dont think I'd be able to take the fry light as I would imagine it will all be in the oven by the time we arrive.
I shall plan ahead as much as possible!
Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
xxxx

Good luck. I'm sure that your 'tum troubles' story sounds fine. And hopefully in the future it'll be so obvious what happened (because you're looking great !) that your cover story won't be needed.

Gail x

the tummy trouble is good! i have gallstones which is why i started dieting in the first place oil/fat are a huge problem for me and cause me a crazy amount of pain, i always say to people cooking dinner for me no fat and fry light or ill eat at home and come later i'm really not bothered id rather do that than have to endure other peoples fat laden cooking! good luck! x

I am with Silly sausage on this.. I too am Veggie and expect to be accomodated for, i would accomodate others if i was the chef!

But would you cook meat for others with carniverous needs?

Just curious as I have and know people who have cooked veggie to accomodate but never the other way round ;)

I'd go with what has been said and speak to whoevers doing it and ask to be accomodated. If it's too much bother then go after the meal or not at all.

Good luck and hopefully there will be no family fued.

I had a similar situation at a friends a while ago. He served chicken with veg and roast potatoes and fat laden gravy!

I had a big portion of the chicken and veg and left the potatoes and gravy. It was still very tasty and I didn't miss out.

If you really need to have some of it all have very small amounts of the bad stuff and loads of the good, your plate will look full and nobody should really notice. Save your syns up and you should hopefully be fine :)

Just curious as I have and know people who have cooked veggie to accomodate but never the other way round ;)

Hi Chris

I don't know about Honey, but I wouldn't be a good meaty hostess. I cook for the lowest common denominator - so if guests are veggies and meaties, I cook veggie. If they are vegans and veggies, I cook vegan.

I'd go with what has been said and speak to whoevers doing it and ask to be accomodated. If it's too much bother then go after the meal or not at all.

Good luck and hopefully there will be no family fued.

I cook 3 seperate meals most days. I am veggie and SW, hubby eats meat and SW, best friend who lives with us is Meat eater, fussy an needs to GAIN weight!. so we all look like we have the same meal each evening, but there is usually 2 or 3 versions of the same meal.

For dinner parties i would probably do vegetarian as there are soooooo many lovely veggie recipes ( pre SW so full of fat...lol) that everyone has said were delicious and cleared there plates.
Or as i do eat fish, may well have fish on the menu.

I cook 3 seperate meals most days. I am veggie and SW, hubby eats meat and SW, best friend who lives with us is Meat eater, fussy an needs to GAIN weight!. so we all look like we have the same meal each evening, but there is usually 2 or 3 versions of the same meal.

Sounds a knightmare! Fair play and hat off to you

Thanks everyone. I will call tonight and just explain I have the tum problem and ask that they dont be offended if I have to not have certain things and then I can see on the day what there is/how its cooked and I'll play it as safe as I can.
xx

Back