Sunday Trading - What's With The Longer Hours

Zanna said:
If you're that afraid you accept the job and even if inconvenient find a way to do the Sundays just until til your probation is up and permanent employment is confirmed - you have your foot in the door then.

You shouldn't be advising people to do this.

No I don't work for sainsburys or any other retailer before anyone asks.

You shouldn't be advising people to do this.

No I don't work for sainsburys or any other retailer before anyone asks.

I'm not advising anyone, it's my opinion and what I would do - people have free will they can do what they like - I know how hard it is to find a job and there's nothing wrong with what I've suggested, all above board, if you don't want to work sundays you don't have to and 9/10 there will be someone willing to take that shift off your hands anyway.

I'm all for extended hours. I have very little time in the week and I hate shopping on a saturday as it seems the rest of the world do it. I usually want to go shopping at around 5pm on a Sunday, because that's when I seem to get five minutes! By then, the shops are shut.

If they can extend the hours for the Olympics/Summer/Whatever, then I'm sure Sunday trading hours are on their way out.

BTW, Sandy, I didn't know they had 24 hour shopping in Scotland!

BTW, Sandy, I didn't know they had 24 hour shopping in Scotland!

Asda and Tesco are open 24/7 here. They close twice a year. Xmas Eve til Boxing Day Morning and Hogmanay overnight. Im a regular at Asda at 3am when Im night shift. It makes a lot of business sense really, they have all the night staff stocking the shelves so why not let customers in :)

Our regular Sunday shopping hours, for shopping centres etc is a lot longer than in England too.

AnnaFaraday said:
I was involved in drawing up some of the Sunday Trading legislation in the 1990s - wow, was that complicated. So many different points of view, all lobbying like crazy. We ended up with a very clumsy piece of legislation, but I suppose it works in an odd sort of way.

There is an interesting Wikipedia page covering the legislation here and in other countries.

Sunday shopping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really think you did my ideal job Anna!

Back