Superfree chips!!!

Can anyone tell me if you really need to parboil them first? I don't usually boil my SW potato chips and they are fine.

These sound yummy! I don't think I've ever eaten celeriac though so a bit unsure about it, swede sounds good though. Could you do it with carrots or parsnips or are they too soggy? Are parsnips even superfree, I can't remember!! (I have forgotten everything about winter veg and winter recipes, might need to brush off the old soup and stew cookbook soon though!!!)

Can anyone tell me if you really need to parboil them first? I don't usually boil my SW potato chips and they are fine.

I think it depends how you like your ships. Yesterday I didn't parboil them and they were a bit too tough for me and still tasted a bit of celeriac.

The first time I chucked them in boiling water, brought it back to the boil, then gave them 2 min on full boil and they were perfect - this time without boiling I wasn't so keen. I like my chips soft in the middle, crispy on the outside.

Personal choice really.

I had a mix of plain sweet potato and celeriac ones Erm. They were gorgeous. I would say the celeriac ones are similar to parsnip. Not the same but similar

Thank you so much for the idea Erm

I have a) tried a new veg :)

b) enjoyed it

c) can have chips on a red day in future :8855:

That' what I've been doing! Saves me going EE and wasting HEXes! In fact I've been using them all the time! I use to restrict chips to once a week when it was taties as they seem to slow my losing down, but now I can have them everyday if I like! I do prefer them with a bit of spices on. The b/f put vinegar on his last night :confused: With spicy chicken and veg? :confused: Id already poured chicken juice over them too. :eek:

I've not tried them with vinegar yet, just as spicy wedges. Has anyone else? Does it work?

I think you may get making some soup or stew type dish for the freezer with all that veg ermintrude!

Either that or invite a few friends or 20 round for dinner ;)

The celeriac chips didnt really do it for me in afraid, but it was a change and good to try something different. I was feeling a bit off when i had them though so that might just be why

Never mind, you don't know til you try :) Hope you feel better soon x :)

These sound yummy! I don't think I've ever eaten celeriac though so a bit unsure about it, swede sounds good though. Could you do it with carrots or parsnips or are they too soggy? Are parsnips even superfree, I can't remember!! (I have forgotten everything about winter veg and winter recipes, might need to brush off the old soup and stew cookbook soon though!!!)

Parsnips aren't superfree, no. I dont like parsnips really. :( I don't know if it would work with carrots, too watery/sweet maybe? But you never know! I never thought I would be eating celeriac chips! :D

Yay! Glad you liked them! :)

This is on my list to try next week while I'm off work!
Yay! This would be fantastic.

Although I LOATHE and DETEST celery... haha!

I hate celeriac sadly! I ruined a SW cottage pie by mixing celeriac with swede on the top. Never again. However, I think I will give the swede chips a go.

Can I ask what spice you all put on your chips please?

I hate celeriac sadly! I ruined a SW cottage pie by mixing celeriac with swede on the top. Never again. However, I think I will give the swede chips a go.

Can I ask what spice you all put on your chips please?

Ooh varies, I often pick one of those Schwartz jars, I've tried the Cajun, the Piri Piri, the Fajita... I like the Piri Piri best so far I think, not keen on the fajita. Plus plenty sea salt. Or sometimes I just use whole spices - cumin, fennel, mustard seeds, whatever.

Mmmm mustard now that could be good... might try a selection next time, divide it into 4 trays with diferent stuff on... Marmite, mustard, spices, garlic and onion, plain... mmm got me thinking now! :)

I tried them with spicy season all sprinkled over them last night and I meant to say thank you for the idea.
I only oven baked them but next time Mr will get out the acti fry.

Ok, so i have bought a celeriac, but now what?? Lol
Its so weird looking im not sure how to prepare it? Do i peel it or chop the ugly outside bit off? Its not very big, medium baking potato size, worried if i chop it there will be none left! x

I don't actually peel it but I gently slice off the bits that are hairy and the really wrinkled bits of the really wrinkled side. In the past Ive found the hairy bits gross (of other veggies, not celeriac) so I havent left them on. You may be OK with the wrinkly stuff but I havent risked it so far. If I only have a small (eg 250g) one I use two or even three. Out of a 750g I expect to lose almost 100g in skin.

I basically scrape off anything I wouldn't fancy eating :D then cut into chip shapes, parboil and roast. I dont know if this is right and it may be that the other bits are equally yummy, but this is what Ive done so far :)

Thanks :) Think i should of got 2! I defo dont fancy eating the hairy/wrinkly bits lol. Ah well its only for me, hubby can have good old spuds. And i think i will do swede chips to go with them, can i do the swede the same way? As in par-boil for 2 mins? Your chips looks sooo yummy x

I find swede needs longer, I give swede 10 mins parboiling. Its very yummy! But celeriac is still my fave :)

Ok, so i have bought a celeriac, but now what?? Lol
Its so weird looking im not sure how to prepare it? Do i peel it or chop the ugly outside bit off? Its not very big, medium baking potato size, worried if i chop it there will be none left! x

I'm so glad you asked that:)I was just going to ask the same.I've never bought a celeriac before. Thanks erm for explaining how to cook it:).Can't wait to try them.x

:D Thank you :D
The celeriac chips are bloody gorgeous!
Had them with grilled pork covered in piri piri seasoning. Far too spicy for me lol but after it was drenched in fat free natural yog it was perfect! I will 100% be making them again!
And the best bit is that hubby loved em too :eek::eek::eek: So i will only be cooking 'spud' chips for the kiddie winkles from now on!

Back