Support / Friendly Advice Needed Please

LoobieLou1983

Hello everyone, first of all I just want to say thank you for allowing me to be a member...I hope you can offer me some help. Since I was 19 (I'm 31 now) I've been a yo-yo member of Slimming World, tried Weight Watchers just the once and the whole counting points didn't work for me. This year alone I've joined and left a lovely Slimming World group 3/4 times because I've been disappointed with how slow my weight has come off - I used to lose weight really quickly but I've found, as I've got older, it's got slower and slower especially with the medication I was put on at the end of last year. I've always found myself frustrated and downheartened and quit...each time gaining more weight. I'm now at my heaviest and almost my most unhappiest and I recognise I need to go back...but I feel so ashamed to go back to the lovely group I have been a member of before. I wouldn't want to go to another group and, to be honest, the time of the group suits me. Do you think I'm being silly? Would it be a good idea to contact the consultant beforehand and voice my concerns or just go? I guess I'm worried what other people will think, as in the other members who go that will remember I have joined, left and rejoined so many times over the past 9 months. Thanks for reading, apologies for the long post xx

I would contact the consultant first, you say your loses were sow but you were losing,. maybe the green or red plan would suit you better. if you know why you gain it can be easier to control.. for me it was depression and than becoming unemployed, cooking and eating cheered me up. now that i've lost some weight I have regained confidence and got myself a job.
everybody's journey is different and your class will understand that, don't worry and do what is right for you.
best of luck xx

Definitely go back!! It's in your mind to lose weight and that's what group is there for!! Hold your head up and start again! My weight losses are 1lb pretty much each week but I would rather lose it slow than she's it all and have a constant devil in my mind with everything I eat. You can eat so much on this and it's fab!! Good luck and hope I made sense lol x

I'm also a slow loser but if you stick to it, it all adds up! I've lost just over 3st in 12 months. I've learned that as long as it's a loss it doesn't matter how much. I get really fed up when people ask me how long it's taken to lose it, it really shouldn't matter other than the fact you've lost it.

Its is braver to keep going back than it is too let what other people think put you off. If anyone says anything to you just laugh it off and ignore them. Anyone that is worth anything will appreciate we all struggle at times and not judge you. Good luck.

I would say phone your consultant if that would help to reassure you. You said it was a lovely group so I'm sure they would be delighted to see you again. As long as the scales are moving in the right direction you'll be winning. There is no time scale so be kind to yourself . Everyone will be attending for the same reason and you don't have to explain yourself to anyone unless its your choice to do so . Enjoy your journey xx

I am very much a yoyo dieter. I have been to many slimming club over the years and would give up cause I was not losing. Once I left because a consultant (Not sw I hasten to add) moaned because I was not losing and she said 3 weeks running "if you don`t stick to the points you win`t lose"
I had lost 5 stone with loads still to go but left. Silly thing to do I never have caught up.
Anyway I joined slimming world and made the rule no matter what I would keep going.
I had lost just on 3 stone then went overseas to see my son for 6 weeks and put on 11lbs.
As usual I went up and down week in week out and then had some bad stress and put some back on again.

The point I am trying to make is no matter when I go most weeks (I do hide sometimes) otherwise I now that I would go back to my pre WW weight of 25stone.

One week in particular I said to my consultant that I was not going to stay and said that it was not because I had put 6lbs on. I did stay for coffee and then she called me over and said quitely in my ear whilst giving me a hug "you are very brave to come when you have put on that weight, and I am glad you keep coming. You will get there in the end"

Whether I get "there" in the end is important, but at my stage of life I want to keep off what I have lost and not put on anymore. (and try to lose too) but I know if I kept leaving like I did in the way back passed I would be much heavier.

My consultant is very good as are the people that I see come and go, join and leave and join again nearly always heavier than when they started. Don`t let that happen to you. Try and go every week, face the scales and get the mojo back again,

I have had to weeks to plan and am delighted. Have the grandkids next week and that will be a test as always. I usually fail but have found a club in their area and will get weighed earlier.

My goodness I do go on don`t I. Wish I could talk to you. Don`t do what I did, join and keep going.

There may be a member that says `she`s back again` but take no notice, just go and you will get there in the end.

Definitely go back, your consultant will be really happy to see you. :)

I've joined the same 2 classes again and again in the last few years, always leaving before wk 4 because I wasn't losing 7lb a week, like other people my size do! Then I'd go back to my old habits, gain more weight and every time I re-joined I'd be around 10lb heavier than last time, then I'd repeat exactly the same pattern yet again.

Then last year something clicked and I realised it doesn't matter how long it takes or how big (or small) my losses are, as long as it's coming off that's all that matters. I got rid of my unrealistic expectations and now I love every little half pound loss. I'm never going to be one of those people who lose 10st in a year, but I'd gained over 6st in 3yrs, now I'm just so happy that my attitude changed as I know I'd be even bigger, I'd probably be over 26st by now.

Learn to love every loss, big or small, and try to think of it as a new way of life rather than a quick fix 'diet', honestly, it makes all the difference. :)

Slow and steady wins the race. x

Just to say thank you for this post and everyone who has answered. I have the sane issue about going back to SW. This post has made me realise that I'm not alone in re-joining, and that I do need to change my mindset about speed the weight comes off, and how it's a lifestyle change not a quick fix. Thanks for helping me reflect on why I restart and not to be ashamed x

Definitely go, you have nothing to lose but lbs!

Thank you everyone for your lovely and supporting replies.

Well...I DID go back and my consultant had a big smile on her face when she saw me and came and chatted to me (we get on outside of SW but we can chat more as I had to rehome my dog and she took him on - but that's a whole different story, lol). I was absolutely mortified when I stepped on the scales, I was even heavier than I was the last time I got weighed two weeks ago...almost half a stone heavier infact, I couldn't believe it!! I've had a good first day and I've kept a food diary and I'm going to use this group as and when I can for advice and to support others, and to receive mutual support.

So thank you all so much so far, you have really helped me xx

Thank you everyone for your lovely and supporting replies. Well...I DID go back and my consultant had a big smile on her face when she saw me and came and chatted to me (we get on outside of SW but we can chat more as I had to rehome my dog and she took him on - but that's a whole different story, lol). I was absolutely mortified when I stepped on the scales, I was even heavier than I was the last time I got weighed two weeks ago...almost half a stone heavier infact, I couldn't believe it!! I've had a good first day and I've kept a food diary and I'm going to use this group as and when I can for advice and to support others, and to receive mutual support. So thank you all so much so far, you have really helped me xx

Good for you for going back! The extra weight will be off in no time I'm sure.

Back