Suprefree Rhubarb

Minus3.5

Had a search and can't see an answer to this but have to ask as I'm craving a bowl of rhubarb:

At the top of my superfree list it says "Note: Cooked, canned and dried fruit count as Healthy Extras or as Syns"

But, the list includes rhubarb, which I'm pretty sure would be foul if you ate it raw. Although I confess I've never tried.

Should I be synning it? We normally boil it with no sweetening - which I guess comes under stewing and is definitely a form of cooking.

if you look at your basic syns list, it will be on there

Rhubarb
-
canned in syrup, per 100g 1.5 1.5 1.5

Rhubarb
-
pureed 198g 0.5 0.5 0.5
stewed with out sugar, 198g 0.5 0.5 0.5
raw, whole FREE FREE FREE

so yes it is syns when cooked/blended, but very little syns for quite a nice portion.

If you want some better news, you can have 454g rhubarb, stewed as a hex b choice on EE!!!

Oooooooh. I have ready brek every day as my hexb. I am a creature of habit. But. variety is indeed the spice of life.

I need to stop thinking about rhubarb now though as I can't get any until tomorrow and it's becoming a bit of an obsession tonight.

I bet some sweetened stewed rhubarb would be lovely dolloped onto some porridge. The creaminess with the tartness would be great. Mmm.

When I was a kid we used to just break off a stick of rhubarb, wash it ( sometimes) and eat it raw. Mind you i believe there may have been dipping in sugar involved! Which I wouldn't recommend now! :)

So annoying since Rhubarb is actually a vegetable!!!

Mind you tomatoes are fruit and we're allowed those cooked....confused?????

The healthy extra B allowance of stewed rhubarb is a very large portion - I've done it before and i look at the bowl and try to work out how I'm going to eat it all. :)

198g for half a syn is loads and well worth it!
I can't wait til mine is ready - I have loads in the garden :)

198g for half a syn is loads and well worth it!
I can't wait til mine is ready - I have loads in the garden :)

My rhubarb is doing well - I've only got one crown but it's enough for me and OH, including freezing some and making jam as well!

Some of mine's just about ready to pick now, think I might pick some for pud tonight:D

Denise

When I was a kid we used to just break off a stick of rhubarb, wash it ( sometimes) and eat it raw. Mind you i believe there may have been dipping in sugar involved! Which I wouldn't recommend now! :)

had to laugh when i saw this my dad grew loads of rhubarb we used to do the same :)

Just realised you could make a very nice rhubarb crumble using 198g stewed for 0.5 syns topped with porridge oats (HEB) and sweetner & baked in the oven. Hmm...

mmm - ta for that tip Clareel... May have to try that. Passed a grocer today that was selling a bowl of rhubarb for £1 - not sure how much is there - but probably at least 1lb's worth if not more after seeing this thread earlier.

Stew the rhubarb as normal, mix oats and sweetner, put in dish, and top with oats and put in oven?

Stew the rhubarb as normal, mix oats and sweetner, put in dish, and top with oats and put in oven?

Yeah that's it i'll have to get my hands on some and try it! X

There was a gorgeous recipe a year or so ago (maybe even just last summer?) in the SW mag for stewed rhubarb with ginger over sponge fingers layered up with low fat custard with orange zest and whisky - it was gorgeous and minimal syns and looked v impressive at my dinner party :)

Back