Surgery/Dead skin?

Maximus

Gold Member
This is a serious question.

I say that because sometimes I like a laugh/joke, but I'm deadly serious and feel as though I need to ask this question.

Can someone please advise what happens to the excess "skin" after large weight loss? - I notice people have lost in excess of 100lb - even 200lb and beyond. What on earth happens to the body?

I am sure there can be some toning up and muscle-building in certain areas, but there must be a surplus of what can only be described as "ugly tissue".

As my weight drops, and hopefully continues to do so, I just thought about what I do at that time? - I presume it is surgery? - perhaps your GP and dietician will advise?

Anyone any experience please advise as I've never really looked that far forward. I'm sure some of the SW'ers who have reached target can let us - well, let me know how this works, is it painful, is it neat, does it scar badly etc.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
You can minimise the effect on the skin by losing weight slowly and by applying good moisteriser. Its well known that cocoa butter is great for helping the elasticity of the skins and reducing stretch marks. I would have thought that doing this would also help the skin be more healthy and heal better after surgery too. So even if people are aiming to have surgery then this is a good thing to do.

I've only lost about 40 lb, so its not the level that you're talking about but I've been using cocoa butter and moisteriser for post pregnancy stretch marks. My skin is absolutely fine.

Hun, from your stats i dont think your going to need surgery.

your start weight is close to mine, and your T is higher.. im a bit wobbly in some places but i dont have 'excess' skin (well maybe a little on my boobies lol but they'r massive anyways..)

i think surgery tends to be an option after loosing masses. 100+ lbs. x

I have no answers but really interested in this too. When I think about it too much it demotivates me a bit as I feel like it's pointless losing weight just to be left with loads of baggy skin! Hopefully the steady rate of weight-loss will help to prevent it, and I'll start using cocoa butter asap!

Thanks Fern;)
Very re-assuring, but already I geel by belly is feeling all squishy and wobbly (great use of adjectives there - my old English teacher would be so proud). At first I was happy about this as it meant it is not a big fat solid mass!

Then I got to thinking what if I reach target and start tripping over the loose skin that hangs low? - ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but now I feel obsessed with tightening stomach muscles!

Maybe not a bad thing. I seem to remember seeing a program on TV about it, but that was possibly more to do with extreme and quick loss via gastric band.

Hopefully the correct way (slowly) prevents this.

Not sure what the lads would think about my cocoa butter either:eek: ;)

Steve

a friend of mine has lost 10 stone she has excess skin on her stomach and boobs and went to the doctors about it she was re-ferred for funding to have surgery but was refused she is now trying to save the money herself to go privately think its a shame after shes made so much effort :cry:

I've been pretty big in the past and also had 3 c-sections. I am well within the healthy BMI range now and fit into a size 14 which is fine for my height BUT if I could get rid of the overhang that I am left with I would more than likely be in a 12 and comfortably.

My plan is to work on this area with exercise- my cousin is getting married next year and it's given me something new to focus on and aim for- so 6-8 months of toning exercises should leave me with the absolute minimum of leftovers I can expect. I am going to do the body magic awards as a part of that too.

So yes, depending on how stretched it had been, it's entirely possible to have leftovers. I am bothered by it, but I know why it's there and even with it, I am still way healthier than I was.

Not sure what the lads would think about my cocoa butter either:eek: ;)

Steve

hahahaha, this actually made me laugh out loud!

steve i really dont think you have anything to worry about. Of course, your target weight and overall weigh loss is nothing to be sniffed at.. but i would doubt it enough to leave you with a serious amount of left over skin. You may find your a bit wobbly.. but as a man, youl find it relativly easy (its the motivation that is key! lol) to tone that up. Woman find it much harder.

You may even find you can get away with loosing and toneing at the same time- i for one cant, even looking at a gym makes me sts.. i can only loose if i do either no exercise, or things like running/walking. any wieghts etc, no chance. and i get demotivated if im doing it for weightloss rather than tone.

As a lady, im not fussed that my tummy wobbles when i laugh too hard, or that my arse cheeks feel like thier bouncing when i run haha (tmi!) because i feel im quite 'small' albiet alot curvier than your average size 10, and im never gunna have the perfect body.. but what is perfect? i feel comfortable .. and that, is somthing i never expected to feel. . so, what a bit of wobble?

x

I lost 112lb and can honestly say that my stomach is flat with no loose hanging skin. My breasts do look a bit 'deflated' but do not hang or anything. Right at the bottom of my stomach there is a little patch of slightly wrinkled skin, but it is tiny and when I am stood up straight you can't see it.

I am 36 so I think time was relatively on my side as skin looses it's elasticity with age.
The first 6 stone I lost without any thought to my skin, but when I started to notice it was getting looser I did all of the following:

EXERCISED- The skin is loose because it has nothing to hang onto anymore- replace the fat with some muscle. You don't end up like a body builder- just nicely toned. I started off with Davina DVDs which are great for toning up and getting firm. I now do weights at the gym, but you don't have to go this far as Davina does the trick (I just go because I love it)

Used Palmers Firming Butter body lotion- this is specifically designed for post pregnancy and weight loss. You get it in superdrug and it makes you smell divine- like chocolate!

Started eating more 'good' oil. I ate a lot of oily fish and started using my HEX and syns on good oils like avocado, nuts and seeds- your skin needs these to regenerate

I lost weight slowly- average 1lb a week over 2 and a bit years

Ok- I don't know which of these worked the most- I did them all and have no loose skin so I can't say one or the other is difinitive. At the end of the day, even if you have a bit of loose skin, it isn't the end of the world- I believe that it gets better over time anyway- I guess there are always going to be consequences for having been overweight, but the benefits of being healthy and a normal weight far outweight any downside that can be easily hidden with a pair of big elasticated knickers!

Any questions- ask away

Thanks for the replies ladies;)

Am litearally almost wetting myself at them lol. I exercise by walking every single day and will increase the tempo and more strenuous exercise as I get fitter.

Possibly cycling or an exercise bike. Can also use the gym at work free of charge - a great incentive.

I'm just a worry guts I guess:eek:

Steve

Ho Cocktail Princess - can you tell me which of the Palmers body lotions it is please? I've searched Superdrug but none are called 'firming' that I can see. Thanks :)

I just bought some yesterday and used it for the first time last night. It was lovely. Soaked in really quickly so I didn't feel like I was covered in grease when I got into bed. Really inexpensive too - great tip. Thanks!

I've been using that lotion for the past couple of weeks and really think I can see a bit of a difference. Perhaps it's all in my head but even if it is, that's ok. I've spent the last couple of months freaking out about the state of my body and it's been holding me back recently I think. This has helped mentally at least!

Hey ladies, take pity on a mere bloke;) nearest I get to this kind of malarkey is splashing aftershave or sun oil.

WHat does this butter stuff actually do? - do you rub it in and let it do its magic? - how does it work, does it actually work? and do Avon do a product of this type? - I onlt ask the latter as there are loads of Avon agents at work.

Thanks

Steve

I was going to say you can buy from Superdrug on line with free postage but I've just been to get myself some and it isn't on the site for some reason :(

Hey ladies, take pity on a mere bloke;) nearest I get to this kind of malarkey is splashing aftershave or sun oil.

WHat does this butter stuff actually do? - do you rub it in and let it do its magic? - how does it work, does it actually work? and do Avon do a product of this type? - I onlt ask the latter as there are loads of Avon agents at work.

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve

It is a body moisturiser, so after your shower you rub it in over your skin. It sinks in and supposedly helps the skin retain it's elasticity.

There are a few different 'firming' body lotions about, so I bet Avon do a version, but this one caught my eye because it is specifically designed for post-weight loss skin, which is the only one I have ever seen. It doesn't smell floral or too girly, just like chocolate (guess that is the cocoa butter in it).

Hope this helps
x

Hi Steve

It is a body moisturiser, so after your shower you rub it in over your skin. It sinks in and supposedly helps the skin retain it's elasticity.

There are a few different 'firming' body lotions about, so I bet Avon do a version, but this one caught my eye because it is specifically designed for post-weight loss skin, which is the only one I have ever seen. It doesn't smell floral or too girly, just like chocolate (guess that is the cocoa butter in it).

Hope this helps
x
Interesting use of the word "supposedly" in there. Do they actually work and more impotantly can they replace hard work, crunches and sit-ups?

Actually I think I already know the answer to that one :(

Well crunches and sit ups will improve the muscle tone underneath the skin, but not the texture of the actual skin itself. Yes, these creams claim to work- as I said in my post, I combined exercise with skincare, eating good oils and slow weight loss and don't have loose skin, but I won't put that down to just one factor- probably a combination of all and my age and natural skin tone

xxx

What's there to lose? I'm gonna give it a go if it's only a couple of quid. Thanks for the tip all x

Back