Surgery

MommyNOriana

Hey all. Just looking for a bit of advice...

I'm having surgery on my foot on Wednesday. I will not be able to walk on it for 2 weeks.

I'm worried about my weight loss as I won't be moving at all and I know I'll have to eat considerably less due to my sedentary state. That being said, I also need to prepare meals for that time.

But.......knowing me......I'll want to sit around and eat all day! Any advice on ANY of the above would be greatly appreciated!!

Hey all. Just looking for a bit of advice...

I'm having surgery on my foot on Wednesday. I will not be able to walk on it for 2 weeks.

I'm worried about my weight loss as I won't be moving at all and I know I'll have to eat considerably less due to my sedentary state. That being said, I also need to prepare meals for that time.

But.......knowing me......I'll want to sit around and eat all day! Any advice on ANY of the above would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi MommyNO.
before you go for the op make sure your fridge and freezer is full of tasty food for your meals that you know you're really going to enjoy eating. This will give you something to look forward to when your sitting around all day.

Also make sure you've got a supply of fruit, no syn/low syn snacks to hand. That way when you get the munchies you can snack away without doing too much damage.

With fruit, buy some different 'exotic' fruits to have eg pomegranate, mangos, star fruit etc etc - that will make sure you don't get bored by just eating apples/oranges.

Keep your hands busy - try knitting/crocheting/scrapbooking/writing in a journal or doing crosswords/puzzles. Also come on Minimins to keep yourself occupied. If your mind and your hands are busy you're less likely to go snacking.

Allow yourself the odd treat. If you abstain completely you're likely to feel deprived, fall off the wagon and end up binging.

It's only two weeks so I wouldn't rush in to cutting down your food because of the deprivation/binge cycle I mentioned above. Also you'll need to line your stomach well because of all the painkillers you'll be taking.

Good luck with the surgery! Hope it goes well and your not in too much pain afterwards.

((((Hugs))).

Thanks love! I'm trying to make a list of all the different things I can make. I will def have superfree to snack on!

As for my hands...I'll be working from home so my fingers will be busy!

I'm going to weigh in on Wed morning before I go to the hospital. No eating or drinking after midnight so I will be STARVING!! I can't eat until after surgery. But that's at 8 am so it shouldn't be too bad. But I will keep u posted.

I'm actually looking forward to it. I NEED A VACATION!!!

Surgery got changed to Friday because my doc got sick. Go figure!
Gave me a little extra time to prepare - but mostly to get the house cleaned and moved around a bit so I can manuever around.

I've come to the conclusion that cooking will generally be out of the question, so I'm going to do green days. I don't need to worry about chopping/peeling/preparing my 1/3 superfree and I DOUBT I will be cooking any meat.

So, I'll have rice cooked in the rice cooker so I can just put it on my plate and be done with it. I have lots of fruit to snack on. I'm not sure about the rest as I haven't made anything ahead of time (naughty - but no time!!) and there isn't really anything in the house to syn on. Due to my inability to walk - that should put my appetite in check! Just hoping I don't overload on calories considering that I will be sitting on my butt for 2 weeks. Eeek. At least I'll catch up on some much needed sleep!

If anybody else has some suggestions....throw them my way!!

good luck with the surgery, as well as having the free food handy make sure you've got some syns to use too so you don't feel deprived. so whatever your fave syn would be, i like curly wurlys from the fridge, last a little while longer. and just other little bits and pieces to graze on, ...a supply of chopped carrots and a philadelphia dip always help me if i'm on my own and bored.
hope all goes well :)

Well, surgery went well. On day 2 of recovery. I'm exhausted, but I suppose that is to be expected with all the pain meds (which aren't working).

I'm not exactly eating "off plan" but I wouldn't really call it on plan either! I eat free foods, but my superfree intake for the past few days has been minimal. That being said, I'm not actually eating much. Which is funny because I thought I would.

Sending hubby to the grocery store tomorrow so hopefully he will bring me some fruit to munch on. Not feeling the best about all of this, but I suppose it could be worse...

Just a quick warning - don't worry if you put on weight this week - it's just fluid retention from surgery and the meds. Don't panic and cut down your food - it will come off fairly soon!!

Back