Susceptability to colder weather in the "skinny fat" vs someone (a bit) more muscular

MAndrews

Hey, I am really hoping that someone with perhaps an exercise physiology or sports science background could chime in on this one.

Basically, there is this girl who sits next to me at work that is give or take a slim size 8, but she eats junk and has no muscle tone or definition. The slightest breeze blows by and she really, REALLY feels the draft. This isn't the draft from a storm - I am talking about VENTILATION from A SINGLE WINDOW.

I sit closer to the window than her and being a fair bit porkier as well as beefier (both at the same time) than her, *I* would have blocked most of that circulation of air. But heck no, she gets all stroppy and aggro and insists on shutting the window and breathe and rebreathe all the germs and dirt that is in the air.

Anyway, what I think is common knowledge is that men tend to be quite warm to the touch - without being rude, they do seem to radiate more heat than women.

So, my question is, since having a "higher" muscle mass equal a higher rate of utilisation of energy, does that necessarily mean that more heat is generated.... and so the "bro-logic" goes, the more muscular someone is, within reason, the less susceptable to a colder ambient temperature they get?

Anecdotally, I find a lot of people who carry excess weight seem to be very susceptable to cold. If indeed adipose tissue was "really" for insulation, I mean seriously, why do they feel the cold at all? I am guessing that fat that is IN the body under the skin is not a solid lump of fat like a packet of lard. Everyone knows that a wet cloth is a useless insulator from heat - so, is fatty skin a good conductor of heat (?) and therefore people who carry more weight have a larger surface area - are they more sensitive to cold??

So therefore, would someone that is "skinny fat" a, have little muscle mass to generate heat, and b, have a conductive layer that lose heat quickly be VERY sustable to the slightest bit of breeze?

Enquiring mind wants to know. :)

I have a lot of weight to lose, but I find when I'm out I'm always ALWAYS too hot. Even in deepest darkest winter. I do have high bp too so that might account for it, but I'm never cold (to the point where I flush and sweat noticably on my face. I must look like a shoplifter :giggle:) I can't wait for it to hopefully calm down come serious weight loss

Back