Sushi Excitement!

ruthiebusybee

I am so over-excited!

Just realised that I can make my own sushi for near enough free!

The whole sheets are only 0.5 syn each, so you could eat LOADS for only 1.0syn ish!

Yeay!

I know what I will be doing tomorrow!

vicki123 said:
Oh i love sushi, where do you get the sheets from??

I have seen them in my Tesco , along with the rice etc , but don't have a recipe - can you help?

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

No dont have any recipies im afraid but thought just sushi rice, raw vegi's and maybe a little salmon or tuna.

Im sure can find a few receipies on google

Yep, I get my stuff from Tescos, in the same aisle as the rice and stuff, although my local doesn't have the pickled ginger. The Soy Sauce off the ethnic aisle is much cheaper and more authentic than the Amoy one too.

I just cook the rice according to the packet (250g rice, washed really well, then put in a saucepan with 330ml water, bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes then turn off and leave lid on for further 15 minutes - it's really important not to stir the rice or take the lid off once cooking begins), and then at the end once you are allowed to take the lid off to cool it, transfer it to a large glass dish and add a couple of tablespoons of Rice Wine Vinegar and stir about really well, supposedly fanning it with something, but I didn't have anything and it was fine.

To make the sushi, take a sheet of Nori, place on rolling mat (really useful and almost a must-have, they have these with the other sushi stuff and they're less than £2 and you can keep them forever!).

Wet your hands (to stop the rice sticking) and then layer rice over 2-thirds of the nori sheet from one end, about 8mm thick-ish, then loads in your ingredients in a line jsut off centre of the middle of the rice and use the mat to roll the sushi in the direction towards the end with no rice.

Wet the edge of the Nori with no rice, and continue rolling, the Nori will stick together to hold the roll.

You need to try to roll it tightly, but this will get better/easier the more times you do it.

Then slice as you like.

For fillings, I tend to prep everything and get it laid out and then have a random go. I use;

- Tuna mixed with wasabi and ex light mayo
- smoked salmon, but into strips
- carrot strips
- cucumber strips (I tend to cut the seeds out to stop it going soggy)
- radishes
- pepper
- and anything else in the fridge really!

I have sushi for lunch today too, with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger to go with it - it lasts a couple of days in the fridge, but if you use raw fish instead of tuna and smoked salmon bear that in mind of course.

Enjoy!

ruthiebusybee said:
Yep, I get my stuff from Tescos, in the same aisle as the rice and stuff, although my local doesn't have the pickled ginger. The Soy Sauce off the ethnic aisle is much cheaper and more authentic than the Amoy one too.

I just cook the rice according to the packet (250g rice, washed really well, then put in a saucepan with 330ml water, bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes then turn off and leave lid on for further 15 minutes - it's really important not to stir the rice or take the lid off once cooking begins), and then at the end once you are allowed to take the lid off to cool it, transfer it to a large glass dish and add a couple of tablespoons of Rice Wine Vinegar and stir about really well, supposedly fanning it with something, but I didn't have anything and it was fine.

To make the sushi, take a sheet of Nori, place on rolling mat (really useful and almost a must-have, they have these with the other sushi stuff and they're less than £2 and you can keep them forever!).

Wet your hands (to stop the rice sticking) and then layer rice over 2-thirds of the nori sheet from one end, about 8mm thick-ish, then loads in your ingredients in a line jsut off centre of the middle of the rice and use the mat to roll the sushi in the direction towards the end with no rice.

Wet the edge of the Nori with no rice, and continue rolling, the Nori will stick together to hold the roll.

You need to try to roll it tightly, but this will get better/easier the more times you do it.

Then slice as you like.

For fillings, I tend to prep everything and get it laid out and then have a random go. I use;

- Tuna mixed with wasabi and ex light mayo
- smoked salmon, but into strips
- carrot strips
- cucumber strips (I tend to cut the seeds out to stop it going soggy)
- radishes
- pepper
- and anything else in the fridge really!

I have sushi for lunch today too, with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger to go with it - it lasts a couple of days in the fridge, but if you use raw fish instead of tuna and smoked salmon bear that in mind of course.

Enjoy!

:wow: thankyou for that.

That sounds soooooo good

Kx

Wow thanks ruthie. Off to by ingrediance after work tomorrow and then going to have a sushi evening

I am definitely becoming a convert - and considering a purchase this Friday.

Having only tried it once and only a couple of pieces - how filling do you find it?

Also Ruthie , for the amount of cooked rice that you stated - how many nori sheets will you need ?

Thankyou

Kx

Well, I made 4 sushi rolls, but it could have done 5 really, especially if you want them to be almost bitesize. There are 5 in a pack which is handy!

Mmmmm DH can't wait!

I will be putting it on my Tesco list for sure and photo it once I've made it!!

Kx

Just got back from shopping - and I forgot to buy this - arrrggghhhhh

Oh no, I have been making sushi but I thought it was free because the boxes you buy at the supermarket are free aren't they? :eek: AREN'T THEY?

Eek, don't think they are, no. They use mayo and stuff in them.

Here's some of them; (syns are in order of EE, Red, Green)
Tesco, Sushi Pack, California Rolls, chilled, 203g pack 4½ 11½ 4½
Tesco, Sushi Snack Selection, chilled, 98g pack 1½ 5 1½
Tesco, Sushi Box, Veggie, chilled, 147g pack 1 9 1
Tesco, Prawn, Tuna & Vegetable Sushi Box, chilled, 142g pack 1½ 8½ 1½
Tesco, Fish Sushi Box, Small, chilled, 149g pack 2½ 10 2½
Tesco, Mini Fish Sushi Box, chilled, 100g pack ½ 5½ ½
Tesco, Medium Fish Sushi Box, chilled, 222g pack 4½ 11 4½
Tesco, Vegetarian Sushi Pack, chilled, 157g pack 1 10½ 1
Tesco, Salmon & Veg Snack Sushi Box, chilled, 142g pack 1 7 1
Tesco, Salmon Snack Sushi Box, chilled, 103g pack 1½ 5½ 1½
Tesco, Fish & Vegetable Medium Sushi Box, chilled, 240g pack 3½ 15 3½
Tesco, Large Fish Sushi Box, chilled, 284g pack 6½ 15½ 6½
Tesco, Chicken Sushi, chilled, 147g pack 2½ 9½ 2½
Tesco, Fish & Vegetable Sushi Box, chilled, 151g pack 1½ 7 1½
Marks & Spencer, Vegetarian Sushi, chilled, 158g pack 1 9 1
Marks & Spencer, Medium Fish Sushi Selection, chilled, 189g pack 3½ 11½ 3½
Marks & Spencer, Eat Well Sushi, chilled, 96g pack ½ 5 ½
Waitrose, Taiko Sushi, chilled, 262g pack 6½ 13 6½
Marks & Spencer, Californian Sushi Roll Selection, chilled, 225g pack 4½ 12 4½
Marks & Spencer, Large Fish & Vegetable Sushi, chilled, 320g pack 11 15 11

So they aren't massive syns (apart from the M&S ones) but you do need to count them.

90% of the ingreadients are free, but the nori sheets are 0.5 syn each and then whatever saucey stuff you use has to be syned too. I loved the Tesco smoked salmon and dill rolls but the sauce they use is defo mayo based.

It is filling though, so probably a really good "grab and go" choice.

I am so over-excited!

Just realised that I can make my own sushi for near enough free!

The whole sheets are only 0.5 syn each, so you could eat LOADS for only 1.0syn ish!

Yeay!

I know what I will be doing tomorrow!

Nori has a syn value?????? I always thought it was free. I love sushi and make my own version quite a bit but had assumed it was all free except for the wasabi or the avocado fillings if I'm feeling very self indulgant.

Afraid so, only 0.5 syn per sheet though. So, even if you ate a whole pack's worth, it's only 2.5 syns. Assuming you're using the 5 sheet packs of course!

Well, thanks for the confirmation. Tbh, I'm no longer that scrupulous about syn counting and such a small syn value won't make a difference. But it is good to know should I feel the need to tighten up again in the future

Back