Susie's 2022 campaign

Howdy neighbour :) I am assuming you have had the hot weather like we have. Its cooler this week, thankfully. I hope you are enjoying your new life. Best wishes x

AWOL again, sorry all :). Time just seems to slip through my fingers - but unfortunately food and wine are slipping just as easily down my gob...

Lynne - yes it is getting really hot here, in the 30s most days and doesn't cool down much at nights - but the bedroom aircon is now working and I can get some sleep woohoo!!!!

News alert - am starting SW again tomorrow. There will be many hiccups no doubt - birthday next Sunday, friends coming to stay soon, can't get a lot of the stuff you rely on here (Muller Lights, eg) - but I thought to myself tonight, "It's any old excuse, really - always prevaricating!" - so tomorrow it is. My knees have been killing me so that's my first goal - lose a stone and hopefully get a bit more flexibility.

Stackie - I suspect my SW will become a bit like the Med Diet, love - you can't get Fry Light here, and TBH I never liked them anyway. too full of chemicals - so I'll use olive oil in a spray - sparingly :D.

Off to catch up on all your news.

I wonder whether the knee pain might be water retention and that when you start to lose the fluids, the pain will go. I suspect the same happens to my feet. Best wishes with the WoE and I like the fact you will be using the olive oil as a cooking spray, or maybe coconut oil would be good. I mean, in this weather it is very watery and might spray easier? Its so good to know you are on my wavelength re the heat the aircon AND the lack of certain food items. :) Anyway, best wishes x

Morning Lynne!

Been thinking overnight - SW relies on so much unavailable stuff, I've changed my plan and am going back to CC, but will use a lot of SW recipes :). Just need to make sure I log everything - but at least I should be able to cope with everything put in front of me. Have resurrected MFP and set it on 1800 a day for a 1-2 pound loss a week, plus 3 20 minute walks (if I can manage it - might just do a bit of Leslie Sansome until the knees complain).

And you may well be right about the knees and water, my feet have been swelling up during the day and are quite uncomfortable by night time, then go down overnight, and up again the next day. I'm drinking loads of water - 2-3 litres a day - but thought I was sweating most of it off! :eek:

I do also have coconut oil (not EVCO, sadly, can't seem to get it here) and it is always melted haha.

How are you going in Turkey? xx

Yes, I have books on Paleo, keto, Low Carb, Pescatarian, Mediterraneean etc etc. Overall, I am well tooled up for recipes but I often use them for inspiration, rarely following them to the letter.... But the main thing, is -you have a plan. I downloaded MFP recently and have found the database is massive and often has exactly what I need to log (Turkish food-wise), so I am very impressed. As for the coconut oil, believe me, in the winter my coconut oil sets hard..... :) I had forgotten about Lesley Sansome, so I have subscribed and will give it a go. I know I used to do it. Good idea to do indoors in front of the AC or a fan :) LOL!!

Going good here in Turkey. We clebrated our 9th anniversary here yesterday. We adore it here. Amazing to think next time it will be a decade of being here! How long have you been there now? Sorry I have lost track but suspect it might be close to a year?

Not that long for me - moved over in Feb and into my house in April. Still got a bit of work to do - plus all the stuff i thought had been done properly and wasn't (rewiring, gas boiler, etc) - hey ho, property is always a money pit eh?

TBH I don't feel really settled yet - the area is nice and I have met some lovely people (mostly expats) locally, but still feel a bit adrift. Think it's because I'm not working anymore. Try to set a project each day so i feel like I've achieved at least one thing - but when it's so hot like this the best I can manage is falling asleep on the sofa and waking up to find I've dribbled down my chin :D :D

Wow 9 years! That's brilliant! xx

Hi Susie, hope you're doing ok. How is the CC going? :)

Please look after your knees! I know from painful and on-going experience how important that is. Even though I've lost 12.5 stone now, I'm barely mobile and will be having my 4th knee op in month's time, with more on the cards, so I really can't over-emphasise how important it is. Sorry, hate to sound preachy, but if I could go back in time and stop them getting as bad as they did, I certainly would! Take care. :) xx

Hello all!

Time has again slipped by over the last few months, with visitors and lots of touring about. But it's time to knuckle down now and focus on losing weight. The clincher was a walk around a very steep village called Tornareccio last week - nearly killed me fitness wise walking up and my knees hated me going back down - definitely hear you Tracy on that front!

After dithering between CC or SW, I'm going to try a form of both - mostly SW principles (because it's impossible to avoid pasta here) and I've made a list of SW substitutes -

Fry Light - becomes olive oil in a spray and synned
Quark - found a Lidl where they sell it
Muller Lights - make my own skimmed milk yog/plus found a supermarket that does 0% - that'll have to do!
Pasta n sauce - will make my own and have in the freezer ready
HiFi bars - have found a sort of Bounty bar choc thing, if I divide it up, that should be equivalent to HiFi's

Wish me luck! And back at you all, of course xxx

I'm glad you are finding replacements or finding ways round the foods you need. I am very much wishing you luck Susie and know how you feel because I am the same. Since yesterday the weather has cooled, so it is possible to go out and walk and not end up in such a terrible shape with feeling faint and sweating to an alarming extent. I feel more in control, I hope you do. x

Hi Lynne

Oh boy I am so appreciating the cooler weather - endless days of 30+ heat were doing my head in (and the a/c went all night!), so the slightly cooler weather makes it easier to get stuff done.

Had a lovely evening playing Mah Jong, a regular get together now and a lot of fun. I hosted tonight and made a SW-friendly pasta arrabiata (with home made passata, go me!) which the Italians present liked and asked for seconds of, so I was pleased with that. Much happier now I've got a lot of social stuff lined up - marketing with friends in Atessa tomorrow morning, then dinner out tomorrow night at a local pizzeria, and out on Friday in beautiful Vasto - will pop into the Lidl there and stock up on cottage cheese and quark.

Found the most fantabulous blog about a gay couple oop north who have been doing SW for a while - the blog is hilarious, highly recommended, as are the recipes - google twochubbycubs.

Sxx

Ooh, thanks for the blog recommendation. have bookmarked it AND shared it with a friend. Will read tomorrow because by then the glue will have set on my glasses which broke this afternoon. :) Looks like fun. Not thinking of following SW, but will enjoy blog I am sure and I just know some of the recipes will suit me too. :)

I've never played real Mahjong. I play the app which I think its utterly not real Mahjong. I suspect the real deal needs a tactical brain, and mine is genetically close to a butterfly's.......

And we're off, Day 1 of SW. Very depressing to hop on the scales this morning, am now at my heaviest - but what has gone on WILL come off :).

Lynne - Mah Jong is pretty much a luck game, there is some strategy but it's easy, and we're having a lot of fun with it. Will keep us entertained in the cold winter months!

Oh thats interesting. Will look into it.

Best wishes with SW. OK you're shocked at your weight, but maybe that will spur you on effectively :) Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on. x

Morning!

Well I've done a U turn (as is my way) - after a good long talk yesterday with a friend, who is also a nutritionist (handy), she thinks my best plan for sustainability is low carb - yes, in the land of pasta and pizza! I tend not to eat much pasta anyway - I love it but the love ain't returned - plus it's a bit more disciplined than CC to keep me on the straight and narrow. I can always make low carb bread - if i can find the ingredients! It makes perfect sense to me, I'd been umming and ahhing about CC and SW and not feeling committed to or excited about either - but low carb gets me a bit giddy so will give it a go!

Won't start until Friday - am out for meals the next two days.

Right, off to the bank. Have a good one, all!

Last edited:
Love it!! How absolutely brilliant to be able to talk to a nutritionalist so you can be sure ,from the start, that you are on the right track. Plus it seems you have been inspired too. Roll on Friday :)

Great eh? Just back from a successful shopping trip - managed to find soya flour and coconut flour, now just need to order psyillium husks online :).

Also stocked up with lots of pork and chicken, plus a bit of cheese and green veg, so am pretty much ready to go!

Isn't it quiet in here?!

WOW you did well. I can get soy flour here. I have some. I havent used it yet. Yes its very quiet. Maybe people have got out of the habit..... :/ Shame. As for me, I am off to uk next week for 2 weeks, so damage will be done. I con self I will sort it when I get home.....

Oof. I could never do Low Carb, but if you're enthused and really feeling it then fingers crossed. I know that when you're in the zone the weight loss just happens!

Although, lots of chicken and cheese can never be a bad thing :D

Hey Stackie, good to see you :).

I've done low carb before and did well, and as long as I say no to pasta, pizza and bread I should be fine here, especially when eating out - most restaurants have a mixed grill with veg on the menu. And I do love cooking with olive/coconut oil, so we shall see how I get on. Looks like a Friday or weekend start date, so will have a little carb blow out today (naughty but had to be done :D).

And we're off! Going to keep the eating plan pretty simple - protein and veg, plus eggs, and see how I get on for a couple of weeks. I'll do two meals a day - don't usually feel like brekkie most days, just a cup of tea.

Will include toms (hard to avoid them here!) and my one morning tea, so it's not strictly Atkins Induction but will try to keep around the 20g carbs a day mark for a bit. I do still have my Atkins book so will take a look at it this afternoon, as the temperature is dropping and it's a day for curling up and reading :).

L - bacon and eggs
D - chicken lorma with sauteed cabbage
W - lots!
S - chicken bouillion

MFP stats - cals 1339, carbs 22.

Last edited:
Back