Suze's Diary

Suzie31

I am on day 5 of Lipotrim and today is probably the easiest day of the week so far. It didn't help that I was coming down with flu in the days before starting Lipotrim. Day 2-4 have been incredibly difficult. Immense hunger. Hunger pains. Headaches. Feeling cold. Feeling sick. You name it. Today, day 5, things seem to have settled down a bit and whilst I am still hungry - it does feel some what manageable.

This is the second VLCD i have tried. About 3 years ago, I went on Lighter Life for 2 months and lost about 3 stone. I was coping well with not eating food. Then after a stressful day of a partner being in hospital and not eating anything all day, I decided to eat real food again. From then on it was a downward spiral. Psychologically because I had been deprived food for so long - I felt that I had to carb load and consume as much as possible before going back on. I never did go back on. Looking back it is what everyone says about these diets, that once you go off them in an uncontrolled way you put all the weight back on quickly and more. So why am I back on it again?

Because I think food is an addiction in many ways. When I am sad or stressed I use it like a drug to relieve the emotion I am feeling. Food numbs me. I can lose myself in eating food and the problems of the world disappear momentarily. These diets which take food out of the equation allow you to distance yourself from food emotionally. There are no healthy food choices to make except opening a packet and pouring water into it. No dilemmas over which food contains the most calories. The decisions for my day are all mapped out in front of me. There is something easy about that even though it is a hard diet. In some ways its the easiest diet you'll ever do. I think it is good to withdraw yourself from your relationship with food. Step back.

I remember when I started re-eating the last time. Food tasted different. My tastebuds had altered. Gradually, as food numbed me again, I ate bad food and I think returned my old ways. I always said I'd go back on but you never do, I'd try with sachets from Celebrity Slim but would manage a day before bingeing on something else. You really need to be in the right frame of mind.

This time, I feel focused. I didn't really like the group sessions from Lighter Life. I found them patronising and the time commitment was annoying. Also, it was really expensive - about £70 a week and you had to commit yourself for 14 weeks. What I liked about Lipotrim was that there is supervision but its not this americanised therapy session where we have to sit in a circle. I want to be weighed and have a short chat but I don't want to have to go home and make picture out of magazine cuttings for the next session. I have a life.

I must say that I have lost weight over the last 2 years, about 48 lbs in total. Small bursts and yo yo dieting. And even not dieting have enabled me to shift this weight.

Now I weigh 15 stone 7 pounds and this after being on Lipotrim for 5 days as well - which I think has probably caused me to drop at least half a stone just in that time.

I exercise daily, which I never did before on previous VLCD's. I exercise for an hour a day on the cross trainer and burn about 400 calories. This really difficult, exercising with very little energy - is hard and sometimes I feel lightheaded afterwards. I am hoping that this temporarily and will sort itself out.

I am looking forward to being weighed on Tuesday. 2 days away. Even after 5 days, I feel different, my stomach feels flatter and different. My face even looks noticeably different. There is also a feeling you get and I'm assuming this is what people describe when they are in ketosis. The hunger really isn't that bad, its manageable. And in restricting myself, and saying no and feeling like I have willpower where once I thought I had none - is somewhat exhilarating. It makes me feel like I have power over my life and myself.

I've decided that I will only tell those people who really need to know. There is so much judgement about these diets and its not for me to be their defender. I want to do it and not have to answer to anyone. The truth is, 450 or so calories is low and may be too low, it doesn't sound healthy but maybe we don't as much as we think we do.

In terms of the shakes, they are so so. I got only chocolate although may try the chicken soup and vanilla next time. In contrast to Lighter Life, you only get 3 instead of the 4 and they don't do bars - just flap jacks. In terms of calorie intake, it is slightly less than Lighter Life. I find that I need a blender to mix them, without a blender I just can't drink them. I think really the idea of having them on go is only going to work if I take my blender with me.

One thing I've noticed is that I am really really thirsty. Parched. My mouth is like the sahara. I can't believe the amount of water I've been drinking. This will probably and hopefully enhance the weight loss.

So yeah here goes.

Love your post good luck. They say though you shouldn't exercise too much for the first few weeks

Day 6, a Sunday, I woke up early and headed off to the gym. To exercise or not on VLCD? Its difficult. For me its not about the weight loss, I want to get into a routine where it feels normal for me to go to the gym. Where its like brushing my teeth, a daily activity. Yes its difficult on such few calories, but I find that if I go early in the morning, right after my shake - its doable. The effects afterwards, I feel much happier, more motivated and determined to continue.

Today, i did cross trainer and swimming - though with all the kids in the water - it was near impossible to really do lengths seriously without being dive bombed by 5 years olds. So that was more of a splash around and a nice break really. The gym felt good today, an hour on the cross trainer and I was maxed out.

I got a black coffee to take home from Starbucks and I must say that is pretty revolting. I put some sweeteners but I really can't stand black coffee. I think I'm just going to give that a miss really.

After the coffee though, I didn't feel like I wanted a shake straight away when I got home - which I'm usually dying for after the gym. The coffee had killed off some of that hunger. I felt like I had to go and sleep for a bit though, so had an nap for an hr. When I woke up, I felt ready for the shake. These are boring details really but the overall point is that I was listening to my body and how it felt.

Also, another thing I've noticed is that I really can't stand the shakes anymore. I see them now as a 'medicine' that I take 3 times a day and not a meal. I used to sit there and drink them slowly whilst on the computer or watch tv, like a proper drink but now I just want to get the process over with - I see them as a fuel not a food. Something that will get me to my goal of losing weight. I think this shift from seeing food as fuel and just calories required to do things - is a massive change from food as pleasure and indulgence which I think most of us are guilty of normally.

Day 6, is easier than the rest. I must be in ketosis now and the hunger is not as bad. Looking forward to my weigh in on Tuesday and hoping for a big loss.

Also, I must say that the hardest time of the day is definitely the evenings. I try to go upstairs and stay away from the kitchen. The other day I caught myself opening the fridge and staring into it. I stopped and thought 'what the hell am i doing'...I was on autopilot and it was robotic for me to open the fridge and peer in. Last night, I watched some movies, had a long bath and really had to think of ways to distract myself from the hunger. I am thinking that one solution will be to go to the gym in the evening, not to work out but rather to use the pool, jacuzzi, steam room etc - more of a spa that a work out - to fill up the hours and reward myself in a different way.

Lol... Delighted someone else does that zombified auto sequence fridge patrol... Totally agree about the pool jacuzzi etc.. Take all your pamper goodies with you and have some me time ( intensive conditioner in the steam room does wonders :)) Totally virtuous - and the cravings have usually gone btt u get home :)

Hi Suze:)
Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
A great diary entry which I enjoy reading. I certainly agree with pampering yourself on the evening, you deserve it.
Keep up the good work:) what do you currently weigh ? How much are you hoping to lose? How long do you intend to do LP for?
I know what you mean about wanting the gym to become part of your lifestyle. I joined the gym few months before starting LP but I didn't not go to it regularly & I wasn't impressed with that. When u started LP I pushed myself & I sessions with a personal trainers& it has worked & I now go to the gym 3-4 per week , one session with the trainer & other time I go workout myself :)
All the best with your journey x

12 pounds

Well this morning I got weighed and I've lost 12 pounds. Which is a great loss! My jeans feel looser and i do feel the loss. I was really looking forward to getting weighed today but now the thought of a whole new week of the diet does feel like a lot of my shoulders. You really do have to psych yourself up. I weigh 216 pounds now, or 15st 4 pounds. Last night I occupied myself with an evening swim and found it very relaxing. I wasn't trying to exercise really but rather just not be thinking about food. Really looking forward to my next weigh in and getting past the 1stone mark. I can't believe how quickly this first week's weight has come off and I know next week won't be as big but here is to hoping.

Also today I tried the Chicken Soup and I must say it made a nice change from having only chocolate.

Well done that's great

Today as been a really hard day. There is this high and an elation from being weighed in but the thought of doing this for weeks on end is really challenging mentally. The diet is a total psychological challenge. Being surrounded by people eating and having to refrain. Walking into the kitchen and making a shake and not opening the fridge or eating. Ignoring the smells and the talk about food and meal times. It really forces me to zone out from the world. Socially, also I have zoned out this last week and do not think it is possible to combine the two at this early stage. I am feeling good at the big weight drop but today, felt sluggish at the gym - had to sleep for most of the afternoon and really felt like I had no energy. I am hoping tomorrow I feel better and motivated. On the plus side, I do look different. I noticed my cheek bones were actually returning and that my face shape had altered slightly.

Day 10, ah this diet is so boring! Fed up of the shakes. I gulp them down now like medicine that I have to take. Luckily, my social calendar is somewhat empty at the moment. Thankfully. Seriously, the thought of being on this diet for weeks on end is hard. Still, I've not broken the diet and the thought of consuming food is a massive no no...so i plod on...step by step, taking each day at a time and hoping time will pass quickly.

Day 13, I'm excited about my weigh in on Tuesday. I feel different. I have noticed a difference. I am still sick of the shakes and vow to get more flavours at the next visit. I am incredibly surprised at how quickly the weight is dropping off. Though really we are consuming such a small amount of calories it is to be expected. How can we not! We barely have enough calories to function. I am hoping that by Tuesday I will have lost 20 pounds overall in total. 12 in week 1 an 8 in week 2. Then my goal for week 3 is to reach the 2 stone mark. Ambitious! Yes. Here goes.

Best of luck
:D:D
let us know how you get on at that weigh in

I am day 9 today

yesterday was awful but did do a big clean in both my kitchen and bathroom as at least some thing positive came out of it !

Day 16 today, I was weighed yesterday and lost 6lbs. Did feel a bit disappointed as I thought I would lose more. Feeling focused and wanting to get to that 2 stone mark now. So that's 18 pounds in total in 2 weeks. You can't really argue with that!

Hi - I have just joined this forum and just read your diary - you are doing so well. 18 pounds in 2 weeks ! Wow!! I hope I can do that too! I just had chicken soup for the first time and it was nice! Added some pepper to it and it was good. Phew. Loved the chocolate but hated the strawberry!
Good luck!

Hi Cookie, the first week is hard but once you are over the first 4 days - it gets much easier. I'm on day 18 now, coming up to my third weigh in. Things I'm struggling with this week is drinking enough water, I find it so boring and the constant trips to the toilet. I really need to try to drink enough water tomorrow. One tip I saw online was instead of just refilling glasses or your bottle is to measure out all your water into all your bottles and put times on them - hours of the day, 10 o'clock 12 o'clock etc and have a line next to them so that you know how much you need to drink by that time in the day. Worth a try.

One thing I want to try is adding ice to my blender to make these shakes more palatable. I am truly sick of them all. But this may make them a bit different.

I have been living off chicken soup recently, adding black pepper and blending it and pouring it into a bowl and convincing myself that hey I am actually having a meal.

One problem I am having is that because I am so sick of these sachets, some days I have only eaten 2 instead of the 3. In the evenings, I really couldn't face the thought of them and just went to bed. I know this is not healthy and cannot be surviving on 2 sachets a day - and really need to sort myself out.

In terms of social occasions, I have pretty much cancelled everything that I've been asked to do so far. Weekends away. Holidays. Drinks. Anything that would require me to be in a 'challenging' environment. I think that this has been important though, I don't really want to explain what i'm doing or feel upset that someone hasn't noticed my weight loss. These last 18 days have been so difficult and then for no one to notice feels so difficult. So I want to really leave it. That being said, I have been asked to go for drinks tomorrow and I have told them I am not drinking and they have been perfectly accepting - whether I go or not is a question I will decide tomorrow. I think the sensible thing to do would be to not go and leave it a bit longer until at least after my third weigh in.

My weight loss is definitely slowing down. My first loss of 12lbs really was amazing and 6lbs was great too. This week I am hoping for 5lb which will bring my tally to 23 and then another week and I will have lost 2stone hopefully in 4 weeks.

As far as clothes are concerned my jeans are looser and I can finally do up my work suit jacket which had been extremely tight around my middle. This is really incredible. As well as pounds I can tell I losing inches also. This is great.

I go to the gym daily and even though this is difficult I know that it is a good habit to form the future. Even if I go and just do a mere half an hour I know that I am getting there and doing more than I would if I was sitting on the couch.

I am using Myfitnesspal also to clock my exercise and calories (obv not much to enter there) but it is good to get in that habit for when I do start to eat once more. I also love using Pinterest to pin recipes that are healthy that I would like to eat in the future and motivational comments and quotes.

One thing I am obsessed with is food. Even though I cannot eat it, I find myself watching all sorts of food programmes and cookery shows. It is a bizarre act really knowing that I cannot eat. I don't know why I do it but I imagine it fulfils something in my brain visually to watch food even if I can't eat it. Also, I am enjoying learning cooking processes which previously I wasn't interested in. Interestingly, the food I am craving is not what I thought I would, it is not chocolate or cake, rather the crunch of vegetables, a cucumber, a chicken salad...healthy food now seems like this dream world to me.

Looking forward to getting past the 20 day mark. The longer I go on, the further I go, the more days, the more I know I cannot quit and must see this through.

Cookie77 said:
Hi - I have just joined this forum and just read your diary - you are doing so well. 18 pounds in 2 weeks ! Wow!! I hope I can do that too! I just had chicken soup for the first time and it was nice! Added some pepper to it and it was good. Phew. Loved the chocolate but hated the strawberry!
Good luck!

Hi I just joined this forum too & thought it may help to give & receive support. I have done 5 weeks on Lipotrim it's really hard and boring but gets results 2 stone gone hurray & 25.5 inches in total! Boring as it is it's easy cos it's do strict I have gotten used to watching others eat whist I have water & a black coffee! I am having a break for my week holiday so started Refeed yesterday I am scared of putting weight on but also want to see if I can be sensible & maintain what I have achieved. Just had a cuppa with milk bliss!! I will restart Lipotrim on 31st August definitely!!! Will post how I get on

Suzie - keep going. I too am now obsessed with food I think, watching the tv shows, and am back to my usual sniffing food...which seems strange,but actually helps. Don't skip a sachet or you will feel awful and your mind/body wont function properly (I guess it doesnt really function properly on 3 in my case!!). I am also waiting for my chicken soup in the evenings, adding pepper and having it in a bowl. I have sparkling water in a wine glass(dont laugh) but it does make it feel like a meal ..ish.. Keep thinking of the goal, remember yourself bigger and that helps. Keep going!x

Day 21, I get weighed tomorrow morning. What a long weekend! Sigh. Feeling quite pleased with myself for sticking this diet out for so long. 3 weeks of this is no easy feat and mentally I do feel stronger. It is amazing, how strong your will power can be when you actually want it to be. I have quit smoking during this time. People have asked me, how and why? Last time I did a VLCD I smoked like a chimney, every time I thought of food I would spark up. It is funny, I do feel like my tastebuds have changed and this also applies to smoking, just the thought of smoking actually makes me feel sick. Bizarre! In terms of social activities, I managed to go out at the weekend and drink sparkling water and avoid any temptations. I am looking forward (well perhaps too strong a word) to completing week 4 and hopefully getting to the 2 stone marker. That will be a real achievement I think. My sister visited me today and I haven't seen her since I started 3 weeks ago, she noticed a difference in my appearance and said I looked visibly thinner. I think it is these kind of comments that drive you forward - if no one notices you feel a little bit annoyed especially as you are going through all this. I am hoping that after week 4, I will look like I've lost weight. Fingers crossed.

I have also been listening to a lot of stuff by Jillian Michaels. I know it is very American but granted I am not eating but her advice is good for life in general. She does a podcast and I have been listening to it whilst walking on the treadmill. Things she talked about today were how to avoid snacking - not an issue now but for future referring. I feel like all of this period of non eating is also about retraining ourselves and breaking bad habits. Formulating plans and methods for avoiding our addictions and bingeing. So this is helping some what.

Grangi, wow that is a great loss. Are you scared of going onto refeed? That is one thing I do worry about.

Cookie, great idea with the wine glass - I will have to try it.

Back