SW advise needed!

Hi All, I'm hopping you can help me with a little issue I have. Joined SW 3 weeks ago.Week one lost 3.5lb then for some stupid reason haven't followed it since. I really want to lose weight but as soon as I have a social event it just wrecks everything. I put on 1.5lb last week and I know ill have a gain this week. Do you think I should go and re-join a new meeting so I can get that fresh start and a new book. I feel like I have failed as people would usually have a sticker by now and nothing but losses. not sure what to do ? x

I have joined SW about 4 or 5 times in the past and have NEVER got a sticker until this time. I am dreadful at sticking at anything, I let a bad day become a bad week and generally as soon as my brain cottons on that it's "on a diet" I start to rebel against it and crave crap. I couldn't even lose weight (with WW back then) for my own wedding.

For some reason though, this time it's all clicked and I feel motivated and truly believe that I could eat this way for life.

Hi All, I'm hopping you can help me with a little issue I have. Joined SW 3 weeks ago.Week one lost 3.5lb then for some stupid reason haven't followed it since. I really want to lose weight but as soon as I have a social event it just wrecks everything. I put on 1.5lb last week and I know ill have a gain this week. Do you think I should go and re-join a new meeting so I can get that fresh start and a new book. I feel like I have failed as people would usually have a sticker by now and nothing but losses. not sure what to do ? x

No what I think you need to do is change your approach. There are always going to be social events but you need to have a strategy for coping, planned out in advance. Saving syns, deciding in advance what you are going to eat and how many syns you are going to use, making sensible choices from the menu or asking for dishes to be prepared differently, or flexisynning if its a once in a blue moon special occasion. And you need to make sure that one night out doesn't become a week off plan. When during image therapy someone says they have say a birthday next week, my consultant says "well yes, but it's a birthDAY not a week". If you do go off plan, learn from it and get right back on plan, don't let it carry on x

I'm the same as Snozberry. Tried everything over the years, but usually failed by the end of the first day! But SW is really clicking with me this time. I actually didn't go out for the first 5 weeks as I knew I'd give in to temptation and go off the rails completely. I went out for lunch this Sunday and whilst I pretty much had what I wanted for the first two courses, I amazed myself by turning down dessert. And the menu was to die for - I was literally salivating at some of the desserts (I'm not going to describe them, that would be plain nasty of me!). I'm still thinking of those desserts two days down the line but I didn't have one and I'm still amazed. It helped that my friend (you know the friend I mean.... 5ft 7ins tall, slim, blonde hair, attractive, well-dressed, manicured, no wrinkles) said she wasn't going to have dessert and I knew I'd look like a fat pig if I gave in. And I only had one small glass of wine (unheard of for me).

I really think it's all about getting your head in the right place - so much of it is in the mind. I've done a LOT of positive self-talk. And I think back to how I felt in January when for the first time, I couldn't get the seat belt done up in a plane and had to ask for an extension strap. I could have died with humiliation. I have to keep thinking of how I felt at that minute in time and by golly it spurs me on!

Thank you guys for all your advise. Your all right I need to start doing this as a way of life and not a quick fix. As I have messed this one up I'm going to go to a different meeting and re-join. I love that Idea of not doing anything for 5 weeks it will get me really in the right frame of mind but if I do go out I need to start planning in advance. I feel more positive now And I can have a fresh start and really get my teeth into the plan. If you have any tips that you think really helped you could you pass them on? X

Hi again fatfighter,

The not going out for the first few weeks was the kick start I needed. Although I have to say it wasn't that difficult - the weather was diabolical for much of the time and I had a load of programmes to watch on catch up! And no particularly wonderful invitations came my way during that time so I didn't feel I was missing out on anything.

I really find that thinking back to how I felt when asking for that extension belt on the plane hits the spot for me. It was a bit of a turning point in my life. Is there something you haven't been able to do very well - or would do better if you lost some weight that you could concentrate on? Or maybe pin up a particularly unflattering photo somewhere in the kitchen? As I said, a lot of it is in the mind. I keep hoping people will see me and remark about how much weight I've lost, but they haven't yet (and to be fair I've only lost a little over a stone now and have a LONG way to go) - but the old me would have got fed up with nobody noticing after all my struggling and I would have probably thought "why bother, no one notices" - but the new me is saying to myself "ok, keep going because one day soon someone WILL remark on my weight loss and won't I feel GOOD".

I haven't set myself any targets or goals - that won't work for me. But I'm very much looking forward to being able to buy something in the the next dress size down, so that keeps me motivated (any dress size without a 2 at the beginning will be wonderful) and I have made a deal with myself that when I get to 10% of my body weight off, I will be able to go swimming without having to do that "walk of fear" from the changing rooms to the pool. I think it's really important that YOU decide what works for YOU. I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm here for the long haul so looking at weight loss over, say, a two month period rather than week to week is the key for me. If your weight loss journey is going to be many months, or even years, then one week of that time is such a tiny proportion that we shouldn't be worrying about one bad week. I definitely haven't had a very good week, but it was my choice - you have to still allow yourself to have a life you enjoy and I'm not going to be beating myself up about it!

Thank you Ladybird23 you comments have really helped me out. I'll keep you all posted how I get one. All the best on your journeys xxxxx

PMI - positive mental attitude. You need to remind yourself why you wanted to do this in the first place. (That photo you hate, that dress you can't fit into - get them out as a reminder). Write down just why you are on this journey and then plan - FOOD DIARY,FOOD DIARY,FOOD DIARY,FOOD DIARY!!!!!!

The other thing I would say is small goals always work best. Half a stone at a time is a good amount to focus on, don't worry beyond this. Slow and steady wins the race :D

I really relate to the OP - especially wanting to go to a different group to avoid going back to the one where I felt I'd 'failed'. I'm also very prone to restarting if I feel that things haven't gone completely perfectly - which means a lot of restarts because life is not like that.

A clean slate is great and sometimes just what is needed, but be careful - starting over (and over and over) can be a dangerous game! I'm pretty sure a big part of my weight problem is down to all the Sunday night over-indulgences before the 'diet starts (again) on Monday'. Plodding on, even when things go awry is difficult, but it is the way to make progress.

You have only been going to your current group for three weeks - you haven't 'failed', just had a bit of a false start. Whether you go back to your original group, or join a new one I think the key is not to say you are going to be 100% perfect, but to say that you will keep on going, whatever happens.

Just remember - you dont fail by falling off the wagon - you fail by not getting back on xx

I know how you feel, I had a bad week last week and feel since then it's gone downhill! I see all these people losing weight and it's disappointing. I try avoiding eating out at all costs. X

Back