SW and illness

Hi Dustqueen,

Im not sure on the tablets, I remember when i first got ill i lost about 2 stone in a matter of weeks and went down to 8 stone. I started anti depressants 6 months into being ill and my weight did start to creep up but i thought it was more due to inactivity for me.

When i did my first week at slimming world I lost 3 pounds and i did NOTHING activity wise just ate well...so that gave me a boost knowing i could still lose weight. Hopefully your body is just adapting to the tablets, see how you get on and maybe speak to your doc if its still a problem in a couple of weeks.

Im really impressed by your loss so far and you should be really proud of yourself for keeping trying, thats the thing with M.E. it makes us detirmined to keep fighting WE WILL GET THERE!!:)

Hope this relapse passes soon for you, keep warm, fed and watered!
Mel x

Thanks guys I'm hoping it's just temporary I'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes :) wi tonight and it's going to be a big gain, not looking forward to it. How are you guys doing?

Good luck with the weigh in and dont worry about it tommorrow is another day, and as the opposite is true to most things...the only way is down!!!! (with the weight i mean)!:)

myonlysunshine said:
Good luck with the weigh in and dont worry about it tommorrow is another day, and as the opposite is true to most things...the only way is down!!!! (with the weight i mean)!:)

Thanks sunshine +4 so could have been worse :) hopefully my weight will stabilise soon and start going down again :) how are you doing? X

Hi Daisy & Dustqueen!

Sorry to hear that your'e both feeling rough at the moment...this illness is a bloomin pain in the neck..literally:mad:

In answer to your question Daisy, i have had M.E. and Fibro since 2005 after a virus and that was that basically, its only in the last few months that ive learnt to accept it because im a stubborn mule who doesnt do well with change and setbacks. I have two children (both boys) and a fab hubby who is a great help (unless football is on!).

I have been going to Slimming World with a good friend who is not to be messed with! She is the most proactive person i have EVER met (not sure if this is a helpful having M.E.??) and really encourages me if im struggling.

As you will both know however, its really hard explaining to other people how its hard to prepare meals and plan efficiently to get the best out of slimming world.
Im back to using a food diary so i know exactly what im eating, and ive decided that if i want this to work, ive got to stop the all or nothing attitude. And if i have had a bad day or a bad week, just pick myself up as quicky as i can and see how i get on from there, i suppose im trying to be realistic and not overwhelmed with it becuase its not easy is it?

I went to weigh in last night and have put 3 pounds on that i have lost so im fired up (for now!) to get back on track and on plan...I really hope we can keep this thread going and support each other im sure it will really help us. Keep posting! :)

Mel x

hi mel,
my heads feeling a bit clearer tonite.
sorry i cant always get back to you as soon as i like to,yesterday i didnt seem to be able to look at the laptop very long.
like you i have 2 boys,they are 17 and 15.ive been going out with mrcupcake for 6 years now,but we live in different cities - hes wonderful,he has a muscle disease which has a lot of similarities to fibro but has worse long term outcome,its very sad.
my boys are really helpful and i feel like they really understand that i need help running the house now- i was really bad in the winter,unable to look after them and really stressed by the situation.
ive been prone to being overweight all my life.when i was in my early twenties,i rapidly put 2 stone on and looking back i think it was due to endometriosis(bleeding outside the womb,forming lesions).i was diagnosed with it when i was 37,like a nutter i'd put up with pain,stomach aches,bad periods for years.i had a four hour op to remove it and a hysterectomy.i think the endometriosis triggered the fibromyalgia- all this adds up to a body that doesnt really function properly.ive also got an underactive thyroid....
yes it is really hard to accept isn't it ? i tried cognitive therapy last year,pacing - it was get the hoover out,sit down for 5 mins,hoover for 5 mins,rest,hoover,rest,put hoover away.i found it impossible.though writing down my days activities did make me realise i was getting somethings done .so im still in the cycle of racing at tasks then collapsing.
my appetite has actually decreased but i was choosing all the wrong /easy foods,too knacked to cook from scratch most of the time,but in may i had a little spate of every time i got on the scales it jumped up 3 or 5 ! i had cream cakes on my birthday and a meal out,a takeaway(over about 3 weeks),i put on the stone i keep losing and putting back on(over last 2 years) .
at the moment im eating my healthy extras, fruit,salad and yogurt basically but im hoping to increase cooking,so im not really doing sw properly.i dont think im eating enough really,im taking orlisat , i doubt i'd be losing very much at all without it,my activity level is shocking,i find small jaunts out really tiring so dont walk very far any more.i can swim tho (40 lengths last wk)but have to be feeling ok to go.
when you are ill like us its not surprising that we slip off the wagon,being in pain is exhausting,food is lovely,its a guaranteed pleasure for me,but being the size i am now is not doing me any favours and i dont want to get any bigger.
mel its great you have the support of your friend,its great having someone to go with.i found i couldnt keep up attending and also sitting on a plastic chair for nearly 2 hours was rubbish for me. its hard for anyone who hasnt experienced a condition like ours to really know what a struggle it is to function some days, never mind be on a diet.

recently ive been taking dihydra codeine for pain,worse mostly in hip and left shoulder,i was so tense + i felt i couldnt put up with the pain any longer,this coincided with me being able to start healthy eating again.
by the way my sister also has fibromyalgia.
i hope youre managing to keep to the plan,i have to write it down,im hating how much im having to think about it.this site is really helping me tho,and if we can keep in touch (with dustqueen too) i think it will really be beneficial.
sorry this is a bit meandering,my concentration is not being helped by the pain killers,good job i dont drive....
nite nite daisy

Hey guys
Yeah it is so hard to explain it to people who don't understand
I've been sleeping 0500-1530 recently so that doesn't help :S
They've put me on some new tablets (antidepressants) to try and help my recovery from this relapse and it's making me balloon. I did success express last week and stated within syns etc was expecting a big loss and got +1/2 this week I had a day off last thurs but think I'm looking at a +5 gain! Must be the bloody tablets mustn't it? :(

hello dustqueen,sorry for the slowness.well im in exactly same sleep pattern....
despite falling asleep on settee for about 3 hours yesterday evening (dentist- came home wiped out)and getting into bed earlier than i have the last few days.my son came home from school at 1,made me a coffee because i so wanted to get up,i then fell back asleep with the cup 3/4's full in my hand for 2 hours till my other son came home and the door made me jump and i spilt some of the coffee (aghh had to change sheet).it like theres no way of getting awake enough to get out of the bed.my legs are driving me potty,its like theyre itching inside and i dont think i slept properly.recently i have felt better pain wise because of the dihydracodeine,i also take 25mg amitryptaline.what are you taking,i ve been on the latter for about a year but dont know if it added to the weight gain,its a pretty low dosage.im also on thyroxine and hrt i dont think hrt helps weigh wise.
my first week following sw i was + a pound, i thought what chance have i got to lose weight when i do try i still put on...but the next week minus 7.i weigh myself thursday mornings ,i feel like im practically starving myself at the moment because i havent been up to cooking any big pasta meals or roasts or even chunky soups that i do.
what day do get weighed next,i hope it settles,dont get too despondant,i m doing sw on my own but have attended classes,its awful when people think you've not been doing it.
have you tried orlistat ever ?
got to try and do some coursework now,its the only time my head feels clear enough-im doing a textiles degree by distance learning ,im right a the start and it takes 6 years!
hope you feel a bit brighter,its rubbish i only feel brighter at the time everyone else goes to bed...
got vitamin d deficiency result of blood tests today,have you had yours checked dear ?
daisyx

cupcakedaisy said:
hi mel,
my heads feeling a bit clearer tonite.
sorry i cant always get back to you as soon as i like to,yesterday i didnt seem to be able to look at the laptop very long.
like you i have 2 boys,they are 17 and 15.ive been going out with mrcupcake for 6 years now,but we live in different cities - hes wonderful,he has a muscle disease which has a lot of similarities to fibro but has worse long term outcome,its very sad.
my boys are really helpful and i feel like they really understand that i need help running the house now- i was really bad in the winter,unable to look after them and really stressed by the situation.
ive been prone to being overweight all my life.when i was in my early twenties,i rapidly put 2 stone on and looking back i think it was due to endometriosis(bleeding outside the womb,forming lesions).i was diagnosed with it when i was 37,like a nutter i'd put up with pain,stomach aches,bad periods for years.i had a four hour op to remove it and a hysterectomy.i think the endometriosis triggered the fibromyalgia- all this adds up to a body that doesnt really function properly.ive also got an underactive thyroid....
yes it is really hard to accept isn't it ? i tried cognitive therapy last year,pacing - it was get the hoover out,sit down for 5 mins,hoover for 5 mins,rest,hoover,rest,put hoover away.i found it impossible.though writing down my days activities did make me realise i was getting somethings done .so im still in the cycle of racing at tasks then collapsing.
my appetite has actually decreased but i was choosing all the wrong /easy foods,too knacked to cook from scratch most of the time,but in may i had a little spate of every time i got on the scales it jumped up 3 or 5 ! i had cream cakes on my birthday and a meal out,a takeaway(over about 3 weeks),i put on the stone i keep losing and putting back on(over last 2 years) .
at the moment im eating my healthy extras, fruit,salad and yogurt basically but im hoping to increase cooking,so im not really doing sw properly.i dont think im eating enough really,im taking orlisat , i doubt i'd be losing very much at all without it,my activity level is shocking,i find small jaunts out really tiring so dont walk very far any more.i can swim tho (40 lengths last wk)but have to be feeling ok to go.
when you are ill like us its not surprising that we slip off the wagon,being in pain is exhausting,food is lovely,its a guaranteed pleasure for me,but being the size i am now is not doing me any favours and i dont want to get any bigger.
mel its great you have the support of your friend,its great having someone to go with.i found i couldnt keep up attending and also sitting on a plastic chair for nearly 2 hours was rubbish for me. its hard for anyone who hasnt experienced a condition like ours to really know what a struggle it is to function some days, never mind be on a diet.

recently ive been taking dihydra codeine for pain,worse mostly in hip and left shoulder,i was so tense + i felt i couldnt put up with the pain any longer,this coincided with me being able to start healthy eating again.
by the way my sister also has fibromyalgia.
i hope youre managing to keep to the plan,i have to write it down,im hating how much im having to think about it.this site is really helping me tho,and if we can keep in touch (with dustqueen too) i think it will really be beneficial.
sorry this is a bit meandering,my concentration is not being helped by the pain killers,good job i dont drive....
nite nite daisy

Hi Daisy
I tried pacing too for the last year or so with only a little improvement if any I actually find trying to keep note and trying to keep my levels up is actually too stressful and counterproductive so I've stopped recently

dustqueen,what's tha name or do you prefer dq ?
yes the cognitive therapy didnt work for me,even going to the appointments,i was having reiki there on another day and i was going to see the hygenist at the dentist loads nearly killed me ,i got so i couldnt even manage a cup of tea and was in bed about ten days at mrcupcakes house.x

cupcakedaisy said:
hello dustqueen,sorry for the slowness.well im in exactly same sleep pattern....
despite falling asleep on settee for about 3 hours yesterday evening (dentist- came home wiped out)and getting into bed earlier than i have the last few days.my son came home from school at 1,made me a coffee because i so wanted to get up,i then fell back asleep with the cup 3/4's full in my hand for 2 hours till my other son came home and the door made me jump and i spilt some of the coffee (aghh had to change sheet).it like theres no way of getting awake enough to get out of the bed.my legs are driving me potty,its like theyre itching inside and i dont think i slept properly.recently i have felt better pain wise because of the dihydracodeine,i also take 25mg amitryptaline.what are you taking,i ve been on the latter for about a year but dont know if it added to the weight gain,its a pretty low dosage.im also on thyroxine and hrt i dont think hrt helps weigh wise.
my first week following sw i was + a pound, i thought what chance have i got to lose weight when i do try i still put on...but the next week minus 7.i weigh myself thursday mornings ,i feel like im practically starving myself at the moment because i havent been up to cooking any big pasta meals or roasts or even chunky soups that i do.
what day do get weighed next,i hope it settles,dont get too despondant,i m doing sw on my own but have attended classes,its awful when people think you've not been doing it.
have you tried orlistat ever ?
got to try and do some coursework now,its the only time my head feels clear enough-im doing a textiles degree by distance learning ,im right a the start and it takes 6 years!
hope you feel a bit brighter,its rubbish i only feel brighter at the time everyone else goes to bed...
got vitamin d deficiency result of blood tests today,have you had yours checked dear ?
daisyx

Wow can't believe you manage such long posts I'm knackered just reading it :)
Don't worry at all I only manage to reply because it's on my phone I wouldn't manage a laptop but it's nice to have some human contact, I don't get much these days apart from Mr Dust :)
Wow 7lbs? That's great :) yeah it is so hard I spend a lot of up time cooking huge vats of freezable food but still have problems
I get weighed on weds my consultant is very good actually put my as a shift worker when I told her about ME so if I'm not well enough I won't be charged back fees and she's very understanding (as much as someone who doesn't understand the illness can be :) )
Yes I tried orlistat I think is that the one where you poo orange fat? I couldn't deal with that, excuse tmi but oily farts and terrible trouble cleaning yourself afterwards, I was having a bad health period when I tried it so kept eating badly and having trouble with it :S
Yeah I hate being nocturnal, your textiles courses sounds good must be nice to have something like that to concentrate on :)

cupcakedaisy said:
dustqueen,what's tha name or do you prefer dq ?
yes the cognitive therapy didnt work for me,even going to the appointments,i was having reiki there on another day and i was going to see the hygenist at the dentist loads nearly killed me ,i got so i couldnt even manage a cup of tea and was in bed about ten days at mrcupcakes house.x

Either is fine :) my real name is Carly ;) it was from when I did a vlcd because it's basically flavoured dust lol
I was quite lucky they came to my house but I don't think it helped, I've not tried reiki how did you find it? I hate being stuck in bed so depressing and frustrating :(

Wow can't believe you manage such long posts I'm knackered just reading it :)
Don't worry at all I only manage to reply because it's on my phone I wouldn't manage a laptop but it's nice to have some human contact, I don't get much these days apart from Mr Dust :)
Wow 7lbs? That's great :) yeah it is so hard I spend a lot of up time cooking huge vats of freezable food but still have problems
I get weighed on weds my consultant is very good actually put my as a shift worker when I told her about ME so if I'm not well enough I won't be charged back fees and she's very understanding (as much as someone who doesn't understand the illness can be :) )
Yes I tried orlistat I think is that the one where you poo orange fat? I couldn't deal with that, excuse tmi but oily farts and terrible trouble cleaning yourself afterwards, I was having a bad health period when I tried it so kept eating badly and having trouble with it :S
Yeah I hate being nocturnal, your textiles courses sounds good must be nice to have something like that to concentrate on :)

yeah im all or nothing when it comes to saying anything.
thats good about attending.i was a member in manchester but couldnt always go and part of me hates even texting someone when i feel crap.
i think im ok on orlistat because im a veggie and worse experience was after a sainsburys danish pastry,must be made with loads of oil.its a bit personal but the pain killers make you constipated so the combination just makes it about right...no oily farts thank god.
i started the textiles course because i felt like i was just drifting on with no focus,time just smeared into itself.i didnt go over to manchester this week,(i usually go for 3 days) because i really wanted to get on with my work but i havent done that much.i feel better tho,i'd got to a point of feeling over whelmed again.cant find things like my keys,getting nowhere.
did you get weighed today ?
daisyx

Either is fine :) my real name is Carly ;) it was from when I did a vlcd because it's basically flavoured dust lol
I was quite lucky they came to my house but I don't think it helped, I've not tried reiki how did you find it? I hate being stuck in bed so depressing and frustrating :(

carly,how long have you had m.e ?
reiki was marvelous,when i went i was very tense,unhappy and sad.i didnt know what to expect but it really helped me feel ok and i had unbelievable sensation of pain traveling down my arm from my shoulder ,i went for 12 sessions.im going to get back in touch to see her again at some point.

Oh btw the tablets they've put me on are sertraline for depression and anxiety as my therapist and doctor think my anxiety and stress is hampering my recovery

i hope it helps,my friend e is on anti depressants,i'll ask her what she takes,shes had m.e for about 15 years but is a lot better than she was.
daisyx

cupcakedaisy said:
yeah im all or nothing when it comes to saying anything.
thats good about attending.i was a member in manchester but couldnt always go and part of me hates even texting someone when i feel crap.
i think im ok on orlistat because im a veggie and worse experience was after a sainsburys danish pastry,must be made with loads of oil.its a bit personal but the pain killers make you constipated so the combination just makes it about right...no oily farts thank god.
i started the textiles course because i felt like i was just drifting on with no focus,time just smeared into itself.i didnt go over to manchester this week,(i usually go for 3 days) because i really wanted to get on with my work but i havent done that much.i feel better tho,i'd got to a point of feeling over whelmed again.cant find things like my keys,getting nowhere.
did you get weighed today ?
daisyx

Yeah the other week when I had to text it was a bit stressful so I do understand
I have ibs anyway and tend to go more often thankfully I hate being bunged up
Yeah I know that feeling
I'm supposed to be doing my phD but coming up to 2 years off sick :( depressing
Yeah +4 could have been worse :)

cupcakedaisy said:
carly,how long have you had m.e ?
reiki was marvelous,when i went i was very tense,unhappy and sad.i didnt know what to expect but it really helped me feel ok and i had unbelievable sensation of pain traveling down my arm from my shoulder ,i went for 12 sessions.im going to get back in touch to see her again at some point.

Wow sounds great :) I was diagnosed at 18 and I'm 30 this year

cupcakedaisy said:
i hope it helps,my friend e is on anti depressants,i'll ask her what she takes,shes had m.e for about 15 years but is a lot better than she was.
daisyx

Yeah my friend is on Prozac and says it really helps

right got to do an hour mixing green paint,its like being in infant school.whats your phd in ?
ive got some family in oxford,we spent last christmas day there.
hope you feel ok tomorrow, im going to attempt a train trip to chesterfield for the bric a brac market.
nite daisy x

cupcakedaisy said:
right got to do an hour mixing green paint,its like being in infant school.whats your phd in ?
ive got some family in oxford,we spent last christmas day there.
hope you feel ok tomorrow, im going to attempt a train trip to chesterfield for the bric a brac market.
nite daisy x

Have fun :)
Particle physics :S
It's lovely here really wish I could get out more and enjoy it
Thanks daisy x hope you sleep well eventually x

Hi everyone,

Hope you got some sleep and are ready for the day ahead.

I thought it might be a good idea if we could post any suggestions for SW friendly meals that we have tried that are easy to prepare and that we are possiblly able to double up on to put an extra portion in the freezer. I thought its helpful to write down at least one or recipes that we can manage to do, and it would make us feel more confident that we can manage at least one meal that helps us keep on plan. (does this make sense?!)

Im going for my sleep now, but will post later with some ideas and hopefully catch up with you are all doing.
Mel x

Back