SW chips compared to oven chips

frankied

Silver Member
I eat a lot of SW chips as don't eat mash, jacket, boiled (fussy I know) I used to eat a lot of oven chips, but I had a thought about whether Slimming World are actually any better calories wise (I know we ain't meant to count) than oven chips what do other people think?
As it eat a lot I was wondering is it actually any better?

Sorry if I wasn't very clear I mean to ask if there is actually much difference in calories between SW chips and normal oven chips

Thanks Shirleen x

Wow...that is shocking. It makes you wonder about the other stuff they toss on the oven chips to make it almost double the amount of calories.

I find SW chips a bit of a hassle to make if I'm honest, I have the mccain rustic chips which are 1 syn per 100g frozen weight, you get about 6 chips for that but they're nice and chunky and I also think it helps with portion control and means I fill my plate with more salad/ veg.

Well done on your weight loss Frankied! You're nearly at 2 stone wow! The nurse will be impressed when you go back!! xx

hi, i do my sw chips in the mirco, so much quicker only 15mins(no parboil) a lovely quick snack:D

I think oven chips are coated in fat and seasoning - depending on the brand. This will account for the increase in calories!!!

I do love oven chips - but i dont love gaining weight - which is why i CHOOSE to have SW chips instead now.

I think they taste great - x

I do love oven chips - but i dont love gaining weight - which is why i CHOOSE to have SW chips instead now.

I think they taste great - x

Same :)

Wow...that is shocking. It makes you wonder about the other stuff they toss on the oven chips to make it almost double the amount of calories.

McCain Original Homefries:

Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, Batter (Wheat Flour, Modified Starch (Maize, Tapioca), Rice Flour, Salt, Corn Starch, Natural Colours (Turmeric Extract, Paprika Extract)).

McCain Oven Chips (straight cut and rustic) are just potatoes and sunflower oil. The rustic ones have 3% fat and the straight cut ones have 5% fat.

The McCain Simply Gorgeous chips are 11% fat and are cooked in beef dripping and sunflower oil.

Information taken from the Sainsburys website, which is a great source for nutritional information about packaged foods, if you want to know before you go shopping rather than squinting short-sightedly at the back of the packet!!

When I do my SW chips. I don't peel the spuds, I par boil far more than I need and then when cool seal the extra in a zip lock bag in the 'fridge.

At the moment though I am addicted to Roasted new potatoes, done exactly like SW chips, except I slice them if large or halve them as necessary.

You can freeze the parboiled chips and thn use thm as you would oven chips.
How to Freeze Potatoes | eHow.com

I find SW chips a bit of a hassle to make if I'm honest, I have the mccain rustic chips which are 1 syn per 100g frozen weight, you get about 6 chips for that but they're nice and chunky and I also think it helps with portion control and means I fill my plate with more salad/ veg.

Rumbletummy - if you mean the parboil & drying bit then just miss that bit out. Slice spuds, spray, sprinkle seasoning & cook. Just as nice & you can have more than 6 this way!

I zap my chips in the microwave for 7 minutes before putting them in the oven which I find loads easier than parboiling and they come out better.

I hate oven chips now, can only eat the rustic ones! I had some normal oven chips at a friends and hated the fact that I wasn't enjoying eating them at all when I could make my lovely SW chips in the actifry!

To be honest I never par boil mine, just cut up and go! Put them in the oven and leave, no hassle. Ready in about 3/4 of an hour depending how many I do. Love them, having them again tonight with cod

I zap my chips in the microwave for 7 minutes before putting them in the oven which I find loads easier than parboiling and they come out better.

Exactly what I do and they come out great!! :D

Only have them occasionally though as too many potatoes stall my weight loss!

We had the Actifry and they were great, but in 2 years 4 different ones blew up on us or died, last time it happened we phoned up Lakeland who said they had stopped stocking them but took it back and gave us 100% refund so it didn't cost us a penny for 2 years use. Will probably get another in a year or so as they are very good, just need to wait for a mire reliable version.

Back