SW Free smash pizza

With regards to the debate on the 'smash' pizza base being synned or not being synned Ive viewed it this way.

When I make my instant mash pizza base I use one packet of Asda smart price instant mash, the same amount of instant mash I use for when I'm making a Quorn cottage pie or when Im making bubble and squeak or potato cakes.

So by using a packet of instant mash adding water to it and shaping it into a pizza base shape and then baking it in the oven makes it have syns because its class as 'food abuse' or there is chemical changes or whatever the actual reasons are some people are synning this via information from their consultants.

So......then when I do EXACTLY the same with my Quorn cottage pie only I put the layer of instant mash on top of my Quorn mince mixture and bake that in the oven until it starts to go a little crispy what was a once a free cottage pie on green is no longer because of the use of instant mash potato baked in the oven?!!!....lol.:8855:

I make potato scones and bubble and squeak with instant mash and bake that in the oven and yes I eat the lot the same as I do with the pizza and the cottage pie maybe not all in one sitting all of the time but if I don't manage it then defo for next days lunch or tea again.

So anyway this concept to do with the instant mash being synned I just don't get because it doesn't make sense, and it is actually contradicted many times because of the way it is used in other recipes.

I totally understand the food abuse concept but not on this one. I've reasoned with it the best I can and common sense tells me that really if this has to be synned then so does all the other recipes that call for instant mash has part of the ingredients to a recipe that ends up being baked in the oven.

All Im saying is get it down to common sense and you would have to make one helluva big instant mash pizza base a few times a week and eat it all to yourself everytime for it to make a difference to your weight loss I feel. I make omelettes and frittatas using sometimes 8 eggs at a time, is that not food abuse or should that not be synned because I'm sure I couldn't eat 8 boiled eggs or 8 fried eggs etc. Yes I know SW recommend that you don't eat too many eggs but that's not because you might be abusing a syn free food if you do that's because of their cholesterol content and SW having to adhere to government guidelines.

- Im just saying how I have reasoned with the concept of this and the common sense of it all.

please don't gang up on me lol, just trying to make sense out of what seems a huge contradiction :giveup:

:) xx

Wow I totally agree with you! common sense not to abuse, it's about healthy eating.
Do you think it would work with actual potato mash as it would solve everything?

Also anyone know any nice SW cake recipes? low syns please :)

Wow I totally agree with you! common sense not to abuse, it's about healthy eating.
Do you think it would work with actual potato mash as it would solve everything?

Also anyone know any nice SW cake recipes? low syns please :)

I suppose it would work the same but why bother I've just looked at the nutritional value for both 120g of potato vs 120g of instant mash and there's very little in it between them both, but still even with generic potato the same argument will rear its head and all common sense will leave the building :D x

Type in Petes Recipes in the minimins search bar, there's loads of stuff in there to cook :) x

From what C says I've asked again and she said she had taken this up in a c's meeting and what she got from head ppl was that if you're eating pizza as part of meal it's free but if you snack on it it has to be synned like potato scones She still eats pizza and counts as free! It's all to do with over eating free foods! So common sense!

Made this last night. I mixed passata and tom puree with some garlic and dried herbs and spread it on the base after I had got it quite crisp. I roasted some veg separately because I was a bit worried the juices would make the base soggy, then put them on top. I then sprinkled cheese on top and melted it under the grill. Really yummy and nice and crisp...even the husband (who was very dubious about it to begin with) said he loved it! Hurrah! No more craving for pizza I can't have!

That looks yum, prolly be a disaster but i'm gonna give this a go next wk/end.

Thanks for posting this lovely :) x

Hope you enjoy it Hun, I think as long as you don't use too much water in the mash then it's fine xxx

That looks delicious - thanks for posting the pics :)

The kids are looking with me and want to try some too!

That looks delicious - thanks for posting the pics :)

The kids are looking with me and want to try some too!

I think it can be great fun to make with the kids especially if you have some smaller baking tins it would be awesome to make mini pizzas for them to decorate too xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Make the mix, spread on clingfilm, cover with a second sheet of clingfilm & roll out to a thickness you want. place a saucer, lid or anything of a size you want & cut around, remove clingfilm & cook base in a shallow pan until it slides freely, turn over & repeat.
remove, add toppings as required, pre-heat oven to at least 200c, cook on a tray or pizza stone or one of them cooking mats from Poundland. Enjoy.....

Mini Pizza (Small).JPGMini Pizza-2 (Small).JPGMini Pizza-3 (Small).JPGMini Pizza-4 (Small).JPGMini Pizza-5 (Small).JPG

That looks delicious :D

I must make this!

What is it in smash that makes this work? I avoid stuff like smash like the plague, could you make it with normal mash potato? (I don't put anything in mine, just spuds?)

What are the actual syns of smash then - it says its up for debate...sorry for ignorance but I've never touched smash and am wondering whats in it to make it so high in syns?

What is it in smash that makes this work? I avoid stuff like smash like the plague, could you make it with normal mash potato? (I don't put anything in mine, just spuds?)

What are the actual syns of smash then - it says its up for debate...sorry for ignorance but I've never touched smash and am wondering whats in it to make it so high in syns?

Hey Hun
I am not sure what makes it so good for a pizza base, it could be the fact it is dried potato mixed with abit of water so it makes it easier to bind together to make the base.
I guess you could use normal mash potato but not sure if it would be as easy to bind as Smash.

The debate with the syns in Smash is that although Smash is syn free on Extra Easy & Green, alot of people say it has to be synned if it is not being consumed in its usual way.
So if you are eating as mashed potato it will be syn free but if it is made into a base or scones then it has to be synned.
It is a debate as some people like to syn it so they are following the plan 100% but some people still will class it as free. So the choice is really down to the individual.

I hope this helps.
Stacey xxx

I tried this today and it was lovely:D. I didn't know you had to syn the Smash - I would eat the whole packet anyway lol

I tried this today and it was lovely:D. I didn't know you had to syn the Smash - I would eat the whole packet anyway lol

I'm glad you enjoyed it Hun :)
I love it xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I tried this in the week and I have to say, although I was a little dubious about the whole instant mash thing....it wasn't too bad at all! The kids scoffed theirs all up too! X

all looks so yummy,gonna try this with the kids, but I thought that smash was free

Back