SW Margherita potato pizza base

Hi
Think it was the thickness of mine that I found a bit off putting - I may have another attempt and make 3 or 4 smaller pizzas.
Irene

yes as others have said the secret def is to make it as thin as poss otherwise you can really tell its potato (well sort of smash isnt really potato is it lol)...........i did use a pizza tray though so dont know if this made a differance :) x

my first attempt was REVOLTING! and the base was less than 1cm thick, but it was still too thick. it tasted ok around the edges but the middle was very potato-ee!

to make it taste like pizza the smash needs to be made up thick, so it's like a dough and when it's made into a base make it about the thickness of a dinner plate (3 or 4mm)...then when you bake it it needs to go crispy. also make sure you add plenty of tomato puree and herbs.

when you get it right it is lovely - when it goes wrong it's very off putting.

I'm gonna try making this 2moro for my tea .. i made some roasted onion smash 2nite and flattened it slightly when cooled,bagged it and put it in the fridge.Will try it with ham,pineapple and mushroom i think.Will let you know how it turns out :eek:)

Ohhhh forgot to come back and post. The one from the mag that I made turned out delicious. I didnt make the crust as thick as in the picture and took your advice to press it down thin and it turned out fab.

So delicious. Will be making it again this week for sure.

Mmmmmmmm yummy !

Is this different to the smash base? Could you post the recipe if it is? I am a pizza fiend:rolleyes:

have to say, im new and did give this a go. To be fair i did enjoy it in a weird way. The base i made was too thick ended up with pizza topping on soggy potatoe but it nearly was pizza

I tried this pizza - hilarious - made the base last night but cos it was a bit sticky to the hands, I decided (ahem) to stick it in the freezer overnight to harden properly instead of the fridge, thinking all it'd need is a coupla hours on the breakfast bar to thaw but still be solid - how wrong - it wldn't thaw, so I stuck it in a saucepan and warmed it thru gently - so we were back to how it looked last night! I flattened it into two sponge tins, glazed with the egg and sprayed with the Frylite etc - put the topping on and extra veg and it was totally edible, but was NOT a pizza unfortunately!!!!

if you buy a round pizza baking tray, spray it with some frylight, you can then really push the potato into the tray making it a perfect round shape and nice and thin so it goes really crispy. ;)

BritMumInCanada said:
if you buy a round pizza baking tray, spray it with some frylight, you can then really push the potato into the tray making it a perfect round shape and nice and thin so it goes really crispy. ;)

Hello , I haven't made the potato base pizza but have a base that is delicious and made from a chick pea concoction- tastes like a kinda pastry base and yummy!!?

Sure thing:

Pizza Base:-
1 large tin of chick peas, drained and washed
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
Fry light

Tomato Topping:-
1/2 large tin chopped tomatoes
1 small onion, finely chopped
Some passage
Oregano
1 pinch of sweetener
Salt & pepper

Toppings:-
28g HEX A Cheddar ( or use half fat)
And other veggies eg peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn onions

oPreheat oven to 220 deg C/ fan assisted 200 deg C
oPlace some baking paper on top of a flat baking tray & spray with frylight
oIn a food processor blitz chickpeas,salt and egg. Process until pureed.
oSpread mixture thinly (0.5-1cm) over baking paper and spray again with frylight all over pizza base. Bake for about 10-15 mins or until brown & crispy
oMeanwhile make the Tomato Topping:- in a non stick frying pan add all the Tomato Topping ingredients and cook on a fairly high heat. Add more passata if the mixture dries out. You can fry onions first if desired. Make sure the mixture is fairly thick and the onions are cooked through.
o Spread Tomato Topping over cooked pizza base
o Add your toppings and spray with fry light. Place back in oven and cook for a further 5-10 mins or until toppings are cooked.
oRemove from oven and sprinkle with cheese ( I often add more cheese as syn value or HEX A/B) bake until cheese has melted.
o Serve cut into wedges - enjoy!!

I have been known to eat it all as well as doubling mixture and taking to class.

Kx

Smash Pizza

Hi Guys first post here ! ekk

Do you definatly have to chill the base previous as im eager to try !! lol

Made the smash pizza the other night and it is very very nice. I added mixed herbs to the smash before thinning out on tray and usd passata instead of tomato puree. Quick and easy Syn free snack/meal. Made the SW coleslaw too!

In this months SW mag there is a recipe for margherita potato-based pizza that looks really lovely. I have heard of using mash for a pizza base before and wondered if anyone has tried it before and did it taste nice?

I will give it a try this weekend and will let everyone know how it turns out

x

Please does anyone have the recipe for the SW potato based (not the Smash one) pizza please? Thanks in anticipation!

Back