SW new dessert book - Lemon Meringue Pie disaster - Recipe has raw egg white

speckless

I just wanted to feed back that when I received the free copy of the new dessert book how I was looking forward to trying the Lemon Meringue pie. I purchased all the ingredients and followed the instructions to the letter. it was horrible! uncooked egg white on top as it was only grilled and not cooked in the oven. The taste of the lemon was horrible and filling was barely enough to coat the base of the pie dish.

My partner checked through the ingredients and said it felt that the recipe was wrong and when he tasted it he spat it out. I just wanted to warn people that they are better off spending more syns and having a much nicer pie.

it was horrible! Truly and I do blame the recipe in this case!

I, personally, have found quite a lot of SW dessert recipes not that great and usually have to tweak them (adding a few more syns) to get a decent result. Sometimes it's just worth having and synning the real thing :)

I'll say what I always say.... No such thing as a diet dessert/cake/pudding. Only the real thing will do.

Thanks for the warning, I was toying with the idea of making it.
Lots of Slimming World recipes have raw eggs in them. Personally, I don't think Slimming World is great for puds... "normal" food like curry, stirfrys, fish pie..etc are fine adapted to SW but puds and desserts aren't that great.

i agree - i dont tend to do slimming world puds, most of them are a very skinny slice (like a small pud cut into 12 slices and taste pretty rubbish).

Only slimming world pud i do is slimming world trifle (for 3.5 syns). Nothing else I would bother with except fruit salad with yoghurt. Maybe crush meringue into it - real ones tho not sweetner based ones.

I have the old dessert book and have tried quite a few recipes from it.... Every single one has been bloody rank..... When I exclaimed in class that the "chocolate cheesecake" was disgusting someone said oh you get used to it after a while.... Since when do you have to get used to pudding??? It's either nice or not.

I've since pretty much given up on the idea of a nice low syn pudding.... Sugar and fat are what make nice puddings unfortunately.

Except the 1/2 syn roulade which with some tweaks is lovely.

clairebrookes said:
I have the old dessert book and have tried quite a few recipes from it.... Every single one has been bloody rank..... When I exclaimed in class that the "chocolate cheesecake" was disgusting someone said oh you get used to it after a while.... Since when do you have to get used to pudding??? It's either nice or not.

I've since pretty much given up on the idea of a nice low syn pudding.... Sugar and fat are what make nice puddings unfortunately.

Except the 1/2 syn roulade which with some tweaks is lovely.

What tweaks do you use on the roulade?

teacherpiggy said:
What tweaks do you use on the roulade?

I add 50g self raising flour (stops it being eggy and having that strange texture) and put a sachet of white chocolate options in the filling.... Puts it at 10 syns for the whole thing but you get a good 5 slices out of it which is worth it for me.

jaylou said:
I'll say what I always say.... No such thing as a diet dessert/cake/pudding. Only the real thing will do.

Have to say i modified the black forest roulade recipe and my version Is one syn a portino and tastes fab their 4 syn version Is also fantastico and tastes like the black forest gateaux you get in supermarket freezer section

Back