SW Newbie who doesn't eat fruit!!!

MummyPig

Hi people, just wanted to introduce myself :)

I have been following the SW EE plan for about 2 weeks now, and stalking the site!!

I am doing it from home, but I do have all the literature... my problem is that I don't really like fruit :rolleyes:

I blame my mother...who never fed me it as a child as she hadn't been fed it as a child as the war was on so she never got a taste for it........:D I always have a fridge full of fruit for my own children though- they love it!! So I am pleased to say I have broken the cycle!! :D

Anyhooo...I don't mind the the taste so much but the textures make me gag :9529:

Although I will eat apples and strawberries..but I am worried about getting my superfree's in. I do love veg, and eat most kinds but I am struggling with what to snack on if I get peckish between meals as fruit salads etc are obviously out. Even the chunks of fruit in my yoghurts are a problem and I am forcing myself to swallow the whole lol!! Is it correct that we are not allowed to puree the fruit to make smoothies etc?

Can I get enough superfree food in from the veg in my main meals?

I am losing at the minute but I am worried that once I get used to the plan my lack of fruit will cause me problems!!

Thanks for your help!!! x x x

Hi and welcome! As long as you get your 1/3 superfree from your veg then you'll be fine. I have a friend who doesn't eat eggs and many other foods but there's so much to choose from and she's lost 3st so far! X

It is indeed true that you can't puree or blend the fruit. Numerous reasons, but the main one being that once blended, mashed, cooked or pureed it's nowhere near as filling as it is whole and you can eat a whole lot more of it than normal.

I like fruit in sugar free jelly - lovely as a snack!!

I would suggest trying something new each week - you might be surprised and find something that you love!

Fruit is not compulsory. Eat vegetables instead. If you want to have a snack you could have carrot sticks, or celery.

Or, you can have your fruit pureed, but you will have to syn it.

I'm in a similar situation to you only I dislike veg. That being said I have been on the plan 5 months now & lost over 4 stone by making my 1/3 superfree (albeit before or after my meal) fruit. Like others have said there is plenty of choice with the plan so you shouldnt find any problems leaving the fruit out & having veg instead.

how can you not like the texture of fruit?
fruit texture varies as much as vegetable textures do and you have no problems with them...
you ought to "force" yourself to try different fruits and more often..
it's only learned behaviour and can be unlearned over time..

Hi
I used to go to class with my friend who hardly likes any fruit and most veg and she managed to still lose 3 stone. I guess its a case of trying out some new things to see if your tastebuds have changed.
I know mine have in recent years as there are some fruits/veg I used to hate the taste of and now I dont mind it as much.
Stacey xxx

how can you not like the texture of fruit?
fruit texture varies as much as vegetable textures do and you have no problems with them...
you ought to "force" yourself to try different fruits and more often..
it's only learned behaviour and can be unlearned over time..

Absolutely! Now is the perfect time to get over that childhood hang-up. There are so many different types of fruit that you can't possible dislike them all. Look on it as a food adventure rather than torture :)

And that is from some who didn't eat any fruit as a child - an apple was only good if it was in a crumble!

I'm the same, I can't bear fruit skin. I can only eat it in very limited quantities due to my ibs, but I do make an effort to get myself some fruit. Its good to try new stuff every now and then and you may be able to find something bearable which you can build on.

I'm the same with the yogurts though, cannnnnot bear them!! And tomato skins in jar sauces, yarghghgh!!! :(

Good luck and keep trying x

I must admit that skin in tinned toms ( and the green bit where they attatch to the plant ) are one of my pet peeves..
I don't like the skin on pears because it's rough, but a sharp knife or peeler takes care of that..

I know I know it's irrational lol! I find pears gritty, bananas too slimy, oranges stringy and cannot cope with the seeds in raspberry and the similar! And I have to admit those basic fruits put me off trying others! I suppose I need to 'man up' and give something else a try!! But I am not sure where to start lol!

I don't think blueberries would be too hard - no seeds or fibrous textures (agree with you about pears and don't even get me started about 'fuzzy' fruit like peaches!). You could also think about chopping up fruit and putting it in yoghurt in the first instance. You could skip fruit entirely but it seems a shame not to give it a go. I have bananas when they are still almost greenish, much less slimy then. Personally I hate melon but lots of people seem to like that, and that's got quite a smooth texture with no bits.

It's nice to feel "normal"!! My teeth are on edge just thinking about the skin on peaches & kiwis, bananas are so slimy and smell, I hate apples that are what I call "potatoey"!! God I'm fussier than I thought :)

The fruit I have found I like and eat loads of in front of my childen (!) are pink grapefruit, oranges, granny smith apples and satsumas (but no other little oranges as I can't stand the smell!) Most berries are ok too. Good luck :)

I used to HATE fruit .. but have been trying new types till i find ones i like :)
If you like Citrus try Pomerelo (Spelling???) from Lidle .. YUM and not as messy as other citrus like orange / grapefruit :) they are HUGE and only £1 and very filling :)
i also LOVE frozen rasberries and Blackberries microd for 30 secs to defrost then mixed into Muller vanilla with choc sprinkles NOM and pink lol and i HATE lumps in yougarts.. but as these are whole and not slimmy i find no probs :)
Good luck :)

Back