SW restaurant

Lots of good points everyone, especially as it is a good idea, so yeah, why aren't there any?? you'd thing SW would be keen to promote the healthy eating word.
Will email them and see where we stand with them, if they dont allow it then the idea starts to be dead in the water.

Dragons den would be a good idea though.
Someone i know said something about a business angel ( so rather like a dragon, but with out the tv show) a backer for the project.

For what it's worth I think it's a great idea and was thinking about doing similar myself, however I'd be too scared to take the risk and so it's just a pipe dream for me.

I've also heard that SW analyse the food once a year and it is very expensive, however, you could possibly get round that by not having it SW approved but doing a kind of take on it by having 'sins' and 'healthies' (for the A&B) for example on the menu? Not sure on the legalities of that, but if you have friends in the law world then it's worth asking them.

Good luck and when you become successful please open one in Manchester :D

Just googled Slimming world restaurant
Found this
Restaurant Details
Not sure if its still open am having a look. would be interesting to see how they went about the SW menu.

Yes there is one in Liverpool, it does sw and ww points and syns for all its meals. Ive never been but I may go in the interests of this board, its just my kids looove KFC and won't go anywhere else!

Maybe better to market yourself as a stand alone resteraunt but that you are approved by sw and ww, as putting sw's actual name on it might bump up costs and outgoings and loyalties.

also, this way youl be open to a much wider market- many people are unwilling to try somewhere new if they THINK its too healthy or are not understanding of the plans- make it fun different, whilst advertising the healthyness of it all.

I think its a great idea. wishing you all the best-i'd visit u! x

i approched sw about this a bit back and they says they would not be interested as there is to much work involved when i then asked how come butchers can market stuff they says its something that they did in the past but its not something that they would consider at this time they say there is to much work involved trying to keep tabs on full meals macking sure everything that was past did change

sw used to have healthy sw eating meals at Brewers Fayre ? (or I might be wrong?) - it probably fizzled out because not enough people chose to eat at them or eat the meals ? Or are they still producing SW meals at Brewers Fayre places - it's been a few years ago now?

As an idea I think its a good one but in reality I dont think it will work.
6 people go out for dinner and only one is on SW so why would the other 5 want to go there as opposed to there favourite restaurant next door?
A restaurant that puts syn's, points etc next to everything on a normal menu would work as you could please everyone.
I do think restaurants need to look at low cal options on there menu's as we dont want chicken or salads all the time !

Whatever you do I wish you luck

As an idea I think its a good one but in reality I dont think it will work.
6 people go out for dinner and only one is on SW so why would the other 5 want to go there as opposed to there favourite restaurant next door?
A restaurant that puts syn's, points etc next to everything on a normal menu would work as you could please everyone.
I do think restaurants need to look at low cal options on there menu's as we dont want chicken or salads all the time !

Whatever you do I wish you luck

The other 5 would go there, because as your friends or family, for one meal out they can support you on your weight loss and go out to eat at a restaurant where you can have choice of the whole menu and not have to make do with what ever you can to keep it low syn. Us, as the dieter often have to compromise our diet to go to the restaurant of their choice, why shouldn't the rest of your 'party' give SW food a go. Any of the things i was thinking that could be things on the menu are just normal food. just not cooked in oil/butter,
If my friends or family wouldn't join me for a evening at a SW restaurant so for once i could have the choice of the entire menu, then i think i would be feeling that my friends and family are very selfish!!!

or are you being selfish for not going to a '' normal'' restaurant and having the poached fish, grilled chicken, 3 types of salad, grilled steak etc ?

I just dont see it being a profit making business. Of course everyone on here would go to it, if we all lived in the same place but we dont.

Having said the above if you open up and I am in the area I would stop by.

Good luck
Ian

I'm in the restaurant industry myself, and the best piece of advise I could give you is not to pigeon hole yourself... niche markets are great, but given the lifespan of a restaurant and the risk involved means that you have to try and appeal to as broad a customer base as you can, and by branding yourself as a SW restaurant you would seriously limit your overall appeal.

As a couple of people have said, I don't think SW approval is necessarily the way to go, as I can imagine that the fees / audits involved would make the whole thing prohibitive, however healthy eating is on the rise and being able to cater to everyone with delicious and healthy meals is an excellent idea. I would approach this as a healthy / fresh / natural concept, focusing on the fact that everything is prepared from scratch using (if possible) local produce and catering to those looking for good food that remains health conscious. I think the reason a cafe is more likely to develop in this direction is that when people go out for a meal in a restaurant, there is the feeling of 'treating' yourself and the minute they think it's a diet restaurant it will, unfortunately act as a turn off because they don't realize that you can eat healthily and well at the same time ;)

I completely understand the fact that you would want to go the restaurant route, and maybe a bistro style restaurant would be the way to go, open for lunch a dinner, with a menu that can be adapted to all the core diets / ways of eating out there... SW / calorie counting / low carb and so on... it would take quite a bit of research, but when I think about what I cook it's actually easy to adapt, you could then work out a personalized value / rating system that would tell customers what each dish contains.

Anyway, I've waffled on for way too long :) I think it's a great idea and well worth exploring! Good luck :)

Kay x

when people go out for a meal in a restaurant, there is the feeling of 'treating' yourself and the minute they think it's a diet restaurant it will, unfortunately act as a turn off because they don't realize that you can eat healthily and well at the same time ;)

This is what i was going to say. Alot of people when they go out to eat wont want to go out and pay for healthy food. If they were better educated about it maybe but theres a huge proportion of people that arent.

I agree with everyone who says that you shouldn't pidgeon-hole yourself too much. Business, as you already know as you're self-employed, is about profit.
When I go out in the evening I usually choose something that I wouldn't cook myself and as I can cook all the SW foods and recipes myself, than I would want more choice on the menu. I would probably only use a SW cafe/restaurant at lunch time, if at all.

I don't want to go to one place all the time either. Just because a place does SW foods, doesn't mean I want to go there everytime I go out.
Research has shown that environment/atmosphere, decor and service rate on a par with the actual foods served.

You can't afford to be too blinkered and you have to move with the market.
Good luck with getting it off the ground.

Having been a restaurant manager I can tell you its a lot of hard work but get it right & its very rewarding, the food hygiene isnt really an issue you can get your certificate in a day and in terms of setting up the environmental health people are invaluable - if you go for it and have any questions feel free to PM me x

Having been a restaurant manager I can tell you its a lot of hard work but get it right & its very rewarding, the food hygiene isnt really an issue you can get your certificate in a day and in terms of setting up the environmental health people are invaluable - if you go for it and have any questions feel free to PM me x

Hi Thanks, I think i will pm you and 'pick your brains'

Back