SW the Vegan or Vegetarian way....

Would you believe my mum did exactly the same last week !

Silken tofu is good for making the dip or in desserts

When I went to sains they only had one type. Now I realise I should have looked in chilled rather than food from other countries. Haha. Now I know! Might pop down later to rectify the mistake. Like I said, it tasted good regardless :)

The picture of tofu I posted for the dip is firm tofu and is from Tesco. It is just on the shelf with all the sushi Japanese and Chinese stuff.
The one in the fridge is cauldron tofu and the also do a pre marinated and smoked one which is nice. The smoked one can be pressed but the pre marinated one is in chunks already

Yes, "naturally smoked" tofu is free.

I need to investigate further because all my sainsburys do is the firm silken kind. Not great considering its a large sainsburys too! Maybe I'll pop to tesco next week :) thanks guys very very helpful xx

Or maybe I'll bulk order online ;) I do love an amazon subscription! Haha

I got some of the cauldron tofu at asda. I'm at tesco tues so I'll have a look there too. I'm obsessed with getting it right!!

My vital wheat gluten is on its way. I ordered from ebay as the one from amazon said out of stock.

It was £4.99 for 500g

My friend has also given me her tried and tested recipe to make seitan which involves white beans and nutritional yeast.

I can post it but obviously I haven't tried and tested it yet.

Here you go.

I haven't tried it yet

In her words

Sorry its in American measurements
1/2 cup cooked or canned, drained and rinsed white beans
1/4 cup soya sauce (way too much imo, half that was more than enough)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 cups veg stock
2 cups wheat gluten flour
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (I leave out with it having the soy sauce
Preheat oven to 350oc (about 175oc).
Blend the beans, soy sauce, oil and stock until smooth.
In a large bowl add all dry ingredients and mix. Stir in the above liquid and knead for 3 minutes.
Shape into oval loaf.
Place the loaf on a oiled sheet of foil and wrap. Place in a baking tin with a inch of water and cover the whole tin with foil.
Bake until firm around 1 hour 45.I generally add a lot more seasoning and just use whatever I fancy, quite often I use a fair amount of dried rosemary.
I usually use the full tin of beans too as it makes up for less of the soy sauce. Its really great for freezing in little chunks too.

She says any tin of white beans will do

Let me know if you make it before I do. I need to find nutritional yeast next

Thanks for the recipe, I will try it next batch I make. I have the American cup measures so that's OK, if you don't a 8oz teacup is the same. So take a teacup and it holds 8 floz that's the right size x

Sent from my D6503 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hello, I'm so pleased to find this thread. I'm considering joining SW but wasn't sure how suitable it is for a veggie. I'm stuck in a rut with WW and want to cook better meals for my family. Might go along to a meeting tonight!!! Eeekk!!

It's infinitely suitable for veggies :) I have done so much better on the plan since giving up meat. Plus although they start you on extra easy you can follow the green plan and get double the healthy extras. That makes a massive difference to me, although I don't always use my hex a choice as I have very very little dairy and tend to use it for almond milk.

Hello, I'm so pleased to find this thread. I'm considering joining SW but wasn't sure how suitable it is for a veggie. I'm stuck in a rut with WW and want to cook better meals for my family. Might go along to a meeting tonight!!! Eeekk!!

I agree with LTL - SW is fantastic for veggies. When you get your new members talk your consultant will tell you about a plan called Extra Easy which everyone starts on, but mention to her you're a veggie and she should mention the Green plan which is a slightly different plan most suitable for veggies. If she doesn't not to worry as it'll be in the books she gives you. It really is great. Welcome!

Hi guys, I'm veggie and follow EE at the moment but really should I be doing green days? I'm a bit confused though as he only difference I can see between them is the extra healthy extra but as I've been doing 1 HE of each I'm worried if I start having 2 this may affect my losses? Any help would be appreciated :D thanks x

The reason why they recommend you do green if you're veggie is you get calcium and fibre from meat, so if you're a meat eater EE works well with just on of each of the healthy extras but as a veggie you might not be getting enough of each, just depends on what you eat. I've always done green days with the odd Red day thrown in every now and again, but if you're doing well on EE and you've no healths problems I wouldn't worry x

Back