sw with a bit of a twist

Im doing sw with a bit of a twist :) for a week,when food is free i get carried away unfortuntly:( so im going to have 50 syns a day thats a 1000 cals plus 250mls of semi skimmed milk and eggs all veg and salads free. that way i can keep a eye on how much i can eat and not get carried away.:) its a bit like ww counting but i dont like ww because there diet so confusing but swlimming world 20 cals a syn it be easier to count :)
i will let you know in one week today if ive been successful.

So are you not planning on eating any free foods then? Just syns? :confused:

Can't really see how that would be sustainable. Would it not easier just to calorie count?

Why are you having 1000kcals, is that a figure youve just pulled out of thin air? If youre calorie counting (which is basically what youre doing) you need to work out how many calories you SHOULD be having not how many you just fancy having. Eating too little - which you will be on 1000kcals will probably totally affect your weight loss.

What youre planning isnt SW. Its not following ANY of the SW principles of free food, HEs etc. Nor is it calorie counting.

Sounds like this is neither one plan nor the other to be honest

Last edited:
agree with the above,

how long have you been doing SW? how much have you lost?

doesn't make any sense, both WW and SW have extensive research done so know how things work and why things work

interesting to see if it does work for you, good luck x

You can't do Slimming World with a twist you're either following SW or you're not and by doing what you plan on doing is calorie counting which is totally against what SW is all about :confused:

Plus 1000 calories is not enough and there is no way you would be able to keep it up!

beverley123 said:
Im doing sw with a bit of a twist :) for a week,when food is free i get carried away unfortuntly:( so im going to have 50 syns a day thats a 1000 cals plus 250mls of semi skimmed milk and eggs all veg and salads free. that way i can keep a eye on how much i can eat and not get carried away.:) its a bit like ww counting but i dont like ww because there diet so confusing but swlimming world 20 cals a syn it be easier to count :)
i will let you know in one week today if ive been successful.

That's mad!! SW allows you to eat free food until you are satisfied-that's how the plan works. You really need to give the plan chance to work, according to your other posts you've only just been doing it a week-and have about 4 stone to lose yes? Therefore as the others have said 1000 cals is nowhere near enough! if you want to be calorie counting then you should just do it, not try and change a plan that has been working for over 40 years! Good luck with whatever you decide-we can all only offer our honest opinions and advice on the situation-it's up to you whether you choose to heed any of it :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

hi all
yes im having some free food,eggs and fruit and veg,i dont want to change sw im just doing it this way for a week to get a idea of how much im consumming in calories,then it will give me a idea how much to eat without counting :)
i know it sounds a bit silly i just want to eat the right amount to lose weight and then when i go back to eating free food then i know my portion sizes.
bev xx

Sorry - i am a bit confused. Are you going to cut out free foods completely? In which case you won't be eating potatos, pasta, or meat or fish? How do you plan to get to your 1000 calories?

It sounds like WW pro points to me with a healthy extra a thrown in tbh!

beverley123 said:
hi all
yes im having some free food,eggs and fruit and veg,i dont want to change sw im just doing it this way for a week to get a idea of how much im consumming in calories,then it will give me a idea how much to eat without counting :)
i know it sounds a bit silly i just want to eat the right amount to lose weight and then when i go back to eating free food then i know my portion sizes.
bev xx

I understand what you are saying but you need to either follow SW or not! As I said in my previous post, SW allows you to eat as much as you need to feel full-so if you want to do it, follow the plan properly for 4 weeks-and give it chance-they offer a 4 week money back guarantee which as far as I'm aware they've never had to pay out on! Just trust it!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

if you just interested in what your calorie intake is just do the plan as it is supposed to be done and record your daily intake on myfitnesspal.com

then you'll see how SW naturally regualtes your calorie intake without restricting what you're eating

as everyone says you're either doing SW or not, it'll not work if you don't follow the plan

I'm with everyone else on this one - don't understand your way of thinking at all. I did a fair bit of research into various diets before choosing to do the SW plan and my main reason for opting for it was because I have a very healthy appetite (to put it bluntly . . . I'm a greedy pig that likes to have her plate piled high).

I knew I'd never stick to any diet plan where you have to count anything, be it points or calories and in my opinion SW is the only plan that allows you to each so much food.

My counsellor in class also says to all the newbies " the more superfree food you eat, the more you will lose" and she also says if you stick to the plan properly and you don't lose weight, she will give you your money back out of her own pocket as well as SW refunding your money. She has never had to pay up.

The plan works - why fix what aint broke?

If you like your food, then choose superfree (and superspeed) first, before going for free foods. If you have got a lot to lose you will be amazed at your losses. Like others have said, keep a food diary and stick to the plan for 4 weeks before you decide to do something different.

beverley123 said:
hi all
bev xx

But you said you're only eating 1000 cals a day. Surely that proves nothing. As someone already said the only way to truly see how much you're taking in cals (though doing that kinda goes against why people do sw) is to eat as normal and count those cals

This baffles me. You see it everywhere on minimins people making changes to diets they claim to be following

Oh I don't need any syns at all and I'll have one HEa

I should be on 42 points a day but I'll just have 30

I should be eating 1900 kcals but I'm going to have 1000

I need 3 packs a day but I'm just going to have 2

When people commit to s diet why are so many reluctant to do it properly and think they know soooo much better.

All these companies have invested millions in ensuring their diet is safe and effective. Why can't we just trust them

But you said you're only eating 1000 cals a day. Surely that proves nothing. As someone already said the only way to truly see how much you're taking in cals (though doing that kinda goes against why people do sw) is to eat as normal and count those cals

This baffles me. You see it everywhere on minimins people making changes to diets they claim to be following

Oh I don't need any syns at all and I'll have one HEa

I should be on 42 points a day but I'll just have 30

I should be eating 1900 kcals but I'm going to have 1000

I need 3 packs a day but I'm just going to have 2

When people commit to s diet why are so many reluctant to do it properly and think they know soooo much better.

All these companies have invested millions in ensuring their diet is safe and effective. Why can't we just trust them

I'm not a SW-er but I think the flawed logic in not eating everything a plan allows is due to the constant brainwashing in the media of "eat less =lose weight". So you start a plan and think I'm allowed 1600 cals but if I only eat 1300 I'll lose more quickly......wrong.

I think the problem for some with SW is that people hear the word "free" and take it as the green light to eat everything in sight and don't hear the follow up of "until you are comfortably satisfied".

I've toyed in the past with doing the SW plan but there is just something about the "syn" system that puts me off especially if you are using them for healthy foods.

You don't need to work out how many calories you are eating on SW. You eat until you are full, not stuffed so you can't move, but pleasantly full! Thats the beauty of the plan....NO counting!
It's simple!
SW is not a calorie counting diet....the point is, some days you may eat more than other days but this will even itself out. You decide how much you eat rather than having a certain set which helps with the mindset side of dieting.

Honestly, give the plan a go....you'll see it works!

tranquility said:
I'm not a SW-er but I think the flawed logic in not eating everything a plan allows is due to the constant brainwashing in the media of "eat less =lose weight". So you start a plan and think I'm allowed 1600 cals but if I only eat 1300 I'll lose more quickly......wrong.

I think the problem for some with SW is that people hear the word "free" and take it as the green light to eat everything in sight and don't hear the follow up of "until you are comfortably satisfied".

I've toyed in the past with doing the SW plan but there is just something about the "syn" system that puts me off especially if you are using them for healthy foods.

Syns are used for your extras eg alcohol, sauces, chocolate, sweets. The majority of your food comes from the free foods and healthy extras :)

Makes no sense whatsoever. It's like someone posting in the Slim Fast forum saying "I'm going to follow the Slim Fast plan but I don't trust the shakes to work so instead of having a 200 calorie shake I'm just going to measure out real food and substitute the shakes for 200 cals of food." yes its still a diet but you wouldn't be following any of the Slim fast plan so why bother posting it? Same thing here. You're clearly just counting calories NOT following any part of the Slimming World plan so dont post in this forum, try the calorie counting forum.

Don't be put off by the 'syn' system!
Syn is short for 'synergy' which just means two or more things functioning to produce a result. So, we have 1)free foods, 2)healthy extras and then 3) syns........
So simply put.....follow these 3 things and you will get results.
You only have to read these boards to know it works!

lentil2 said:
Don't be put off by the 'syn' system!
Syn is short for 'synergy' which just means two or more things functioning to produce a result. So, we have 1)free foods, 2)healthy extras and then 3) syns........
So simply put.....follow these 3 things and you will get results.
You only have to read these boards to know it works!

That's why they changed it from sIn to sYn as too many people associated them with bad stuff :)

Back