Sweet and sour sauce

pizzle84

I will do this!!!
Any ideas how i can make a sweet and sour sauce for my stir fry?? free or low syn please :)

Theres a recipe in my sauces book...it says serves 4 1.5 syns per serving.
113g pinapple chunks in juice
5tbsp stock made with chicken bovril
2tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp wine vinegar
1tsp artificial sweetner
1 lvl tbsp tomato puree
2tbsp diced red pepper
2 level tsp cornflour
s+p

drain pineapple reserving juice. put juice in pan with stock, soy, vinegar, orange juice, sweetner, pepper and tom puree.

bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Mix cornflour with 2 teaspoons of water until smooth and stir into the sauce. heat gently until thickeneed.

cut pineapple into small chunks and add to sauce, and s+p to taste.

Thats perfect thankyou :)

If it's not too late, I've got a simple recipe for a SYN FREE sweet & sour sauce. I actually found it on the recipe thread (THINK it might be under 'Chinese sauces')

1 carton of passata
6 TBSP sweetner
6 TBSP malt vinegar
1/2 pint chicken stock
soy sauce to taste
1 thin red chilli, diced VERY small - seeds removed

Mix the vinegar with the sweetner.
Put the passata in a pan with the chilli (optional, but it's quite nice and not too hot).
Add the vinegar/sweetner mix, to the pan with the passata and chilli.
Stir.
Add the chicken stock.
Add salt/pepper/soy sauce to taste.

You can thicken this with cornflour, but if you let it simmer, it does go a bit thicker.
Alternatively, you can add some fine grated carrot to the sauce. If you let it simmer you don't get too much of the carrot taste.

Hope it's not too late. Enjoy!

Hi

We got given a recipe on our newsletter this week and had it on my stir fry last nite and was yummy!!

2 sliced onions
1 sliced green pepper
2 tsp english mustard powder
2tbsp tomato puree (1 sin)
1tsp worcestershire sauce
half pint chicken stock
2tbsp sweetner
2tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp mixed herbs

def recomend it :)

might give this a try myself. i love sweet & sour sauce with chicken. thank you

I use the same recipe as qbeewar and it is delicious. I often make a larger batch so I can put it in smaller containers, freeze and then it is already made up for whenever I need it! delicious!! xx

Posting so I can find again, made lonesticher's recipe the other week and it was delicious with some pork mince balls, veg and rice.

frugal fifer said:
Posting so I can find again, made lonesticher's recipe the other week and it was delicious with some pork mince balls, veg and rice.

I made that one too. It was v. Easy to do and really delicious. Will be making that often I think as everyone liked it. I made it with chicken and rice.

Back