Sweet potato help!

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
Hallo lovely people... need a bit of advice!

I bought sweet potatoes to have with tonight's chilli but have just realised I've got no idea how to bake them. I have tried Google but there are so many ways to do it, I dunno which method to use.

I know everyone has their own way of baking ordinary potatoes so what is your way of baking a sweet potato? Do I prick it, cover it in foil, microwave it first, cut off the ends or what???? :confused:

Thank you:) x

Doesn't really matter, you can cook it any way tbh :confused: How are you intending to have it? Halved, like a jacket potato? If so then just cook it exactly the same way you would a jacket - prick a few holes in it and roast or microwave until done.

Or are you intending to have it as roasted wedgies? if so, exactly the same, cut into wedgie shapes and cook as for SW chips.

Nothing special about them :) Theyre a little softer in the middle than normal potatoes, thats all :)

Hi Erm

Thanks for your reply. I'm just going to bake them. So will just prick them and bake them like a normal potato?:D

I was reading hundreds of ways to do them, some people peeled them first then pricked then covered in oil and cut the ends off, then massaged them gently and all sorts of weird stuff.... I've never cooked one before and couldn't find a basic recipe.

Hi Erm

Thanks for your reply. I'm just going to bake them. So will just prick them and bake them like a normal potato?:D

I was reading hundreds of ways to do them, some people peeled them first then pricked then covered in oil and cut the ends off, then massaged them gently and all sorts of weird stuff.... I've never cooked one before and couldn't find a basic recipe.

Bizarre! :eek: No, Id just prick them and bake, you can do it in foil first if you like, and with/without oil, same as a normal jacket really. But personally if you're doing it whole Id probably zap it in the mic til nearly done, then crisp up in the oven, saves time. But some people would say thats not an 'authentic' jacket :D

What strange rituals people have :confused: Got to go and see what this 'massaging' sweet potatoes is all about! :D

I love baked sweet potatoes, they are my fave! I just cook them the same way I'd do a normal baked potato but I find they don't take as long. I love the skin on baked sweet potatoes, it's so yummy, those who peel them are really missing a treat!

Pricked them and stuck them in the oven. Got the timer set for an hour cos they're massive!

Erm I would normally nuke them too but seeing as I've never cooked them before I wanted to do it properly :D

Mmmm I'm looking forward to them! Got a massive batch of chilli to go on them :drool:

Oh my god I love sweet potato. Why did it take me this long to try them? :drool:

They are beaut!!! I always get them when Aldi do them on the offer for a bag for like 50p...always have them with cheesey beans :D and they are really nice with tuna mayo and cucumber too, the sweetness is just so delicious as opposed to a normal spud.

I often make mash with them too and also wedges. They are just so lovely. OH doesnt like them. . . he must be weird!!!!!

They are nice in soups too, heres an interestind ricipe I found for when the days warm up somewhat

Ingredients
  • 6 cups stock (chicken, vegetarian, duck)
  • 3 good sized sweet potatoes
  • 3 leeks (they usually come in bunches of three)
  • Freshly ground pepper if you have it but black pepper will work
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper – Warning, read above
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Sea salt
  • Chopped basil for garnish (the original called for chives but I had fresh basil on hand so I went with it)
Prep Time
  • Have the stock ready to go whether you make it yourself, buy it canned or reconstitute the stuff I like. Peel and quarter the sweet potatoes.
  • Leeks - You are only going to use the white and tender green parts of the leeks so cut the hairy tip off the root as well as the dark green leafy top which by the way would be a great ingredient for your own veggie stock. Leeks can be full of sand so you want to cut them up into ¼ inch slices, separate the rings and give them a good washing in a colander under cold running water.
  • Ginger – Peel and grate the ginger. I use a spoon for peeling and my Microplane grater/zester. Works great for these types of jobs.
How to Make Sweet Potato Vichyssoise at Home
1) In a pot big enough to hold all these ingredients (I used a 4 ½ quart sauce pot that worked fine), add the stock, sweet potatoes and leeks and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once at a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. When done, remove the pot from the heat and let it cool some before attempting the pureeing.
2) Here you can use a blender or food processor and work in batches to puree the potatoes, stock and leeks. I prefer to use my hand blender to minimize the cleanup and avoid the mess from spilling during transfer. Whatever method you use, you want the ingredients to become a smooth puree.
3) Before you finish, add the pepper, cayenne and ginger and puree some more. If you used a blender or food processor, pour the soup into a large bowl and let cool. Since I used a hand blender, I just left everything in the pot.
4) Once the soup becomes lukewarm, add the heavy cream and stir to mix well. Here’s a good time to taste and adjust the seasoning with a little salt and I can almost guarantee it will need salt to boost the flavor.
5) Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until the soup is well chilled. This soup will last in the refrigerator for a couple of days and get better each day. When ready to serve, taste again to adjust seasonings and garnish with a little chopped basil on top.

Sounds like it could be nice hot too, of course you will have to omit or use a fat free alternative to the cream

They are nice in soups too, heres an interestind ricipe I found for when the days warm up somewhat

Ingredients
  • 6 cups stock (chicken, vegetarian, duck)
  • 3 good sized sweet potatoes
  • 3 leeks (they usually come in bunches of three)
  • Freshly ground pepper if you have it but black pepper will work
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper – Warning, read above
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Sea salt
  • Chopped basil for garnish (the original called for chives but I had fresh basil on hand so I went with it)
Prep Time
  • Have the stock ready to go whether you make it yourself, buy it canned or reconstitute the stuff I like. Peel and quarter the sweet potatoes.

• Leeks - You are only going to use the white and tender green parts of the leeks so cut the hairy tip off the root as well as the dark green leafy top which by the way would be a great ingredient for your own veggie stock. Leeks can be full of sand so you want to cut them up into ¼ inch slices, separate the rings and give them a good washing in a colander under cold running water.

• Ginger – Peel and grate the ginger. I use a spoon for peeling and my Microplane grater/zester. Works great for these types of jobs.
How to Make Sweet Potato Vichyssoise at Home
1) In a pot big enough to hold all these ingredients (I used a 4 ½ quart sauce pot that worked fine), add the stock, sweet potatoes and leeks and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once at a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. When done, remove the pot from the heat and let it cool some before attempting the pureeing.
2) Here you can use a blender or food processor and work in batches to puree the potatoes, stock and leeks. I prefer to use my hand blender to minimize the cleanup and avoid the mess from spilling during transfer. Whatever method you use, you want the ingredients to become a smooth puree.
3) Before you finish, add the pepper, cayenne and ginger and puree some more. If you used a blender or food processor, pour the soup into a large bowl and let cool. Since I used a hand blender, I just left everything in the pot.
4) Once the soup becomes lukewarm, add the heavy cream and stir to mix well. Here’s a good time to taste and adjust the seasoning with a little salt and I can almost guarantee it will need salt to boost the flavor.
5) Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until the soup is well chilled. This soup will last in the refrigerator for a couple of days and get better each day. When ready to serve, taste again to adjust seasonings and garnish with a little chopped basil on top.

Sounds like it could be nice hot too, of course you will have to omit or use a fat free alternative to the cream

Sounds delicious! I might have to try this :D

zap it in the mic til nearly done, then crisp up in the oven, saves time. But some people would say thats not an 'authentic' jacket :D

Yeah, this is how I've always done my jacket potatoes ever since I've had a microwave. I think it's authentic, saves energy (mine too :D)...and its PDQ into the bargain!!

Back