sweet potatoes

mumtheshopper

Silver Member
Am i right in saying that sweet potatoes aren't free or a healthy B on a red day? Sorry, just need to clarify as thought they were healthier than ordinary pots.

Thanks
Lydna

Yes you're right

Basic/Non Branded Foods Vegetables, Potatoes, sweet, raw/boiled/steamed 28g

red.gif
Original 1 Syns
green.gif
Green Free

they are healthy from the point of having a low glycaemic index but not enough fibre in them to make them a healthy b option. In the same way avocados are healthy they are high in fat so have to be eaten in moderation (i.e a small one is 7 syns each )

Also, normal potatoes have to be eaten on a red day with their skins on to count as a healthy B (increases the fibre) - you don't eat sweet potatoes unpeeled (or at least I don't)...

I ahve them with the skins as jackets, just like baking pots. I much prefer them, but not to worry, I can still ahve them on a green or EE.

Thanks folks

Lynda

I'm glad i have read this thread....i didn't know that to have potato for hexb it had to have the skin on, does that mean mash potato has to be mashed with the skins?

I'm glad i have read this thread....i didn't know that to have potato for hexb it had to have the skin on, does that mean mash potato has to be mashed with the skins?

No, you can't mash potatoes with the skins on.
You'll have to syn them or have an EE or a green day, where you can eat loads!

Before the fab EE plan, on a red day I used to mash pots with their skins & it worked fine. I didn't know there was a rule saying you couldn't do this?

Before the fab EE plan, on a red day I used to mash pots with their skins & it worked fine. I didn't know there was a rule saying you couldn't do this?

Sorry, it doesn't say you can't. I just thought it as I don't think it is very appealing but if it works for you, that is just fine as long as you eat the skins!

I'm glad I read this thread as I wasn't aware of the potatoes having to have skins on to count as HE.

Thanks girls!

Lizabeth

Sorry, it doesn't say you can't. I just thought it as I don't think it is very appealing but if it works for you, that is just fine as long as you eat the skins!
TBH they mash down quite well, also if used in something like cottage/fish pie, by the time it bakes in the oven you'd never actually know there was skins in it..it seems to completely break down.

Cool thanks for that, i would never have known! :)

Back