sweet potatoes

alexisemma31

can you bake these as you would ordinary jacket potatoes?

what else can you do with them?

Yep you can bake them in their skins and eat them the exact same way as a jacket potato, they take slightly less time to cook though.

Also great chopped up and added to curries, casseroles etc.

or chopped up into chunks or as chips, sprayed with some fry light and baked/roasted.

I like them mashed together with carrots, tastes lovely.

i make spicey sweet potato soup - frylight onions and then add garlic and water when transparent...............boil the sweet potatoes (I used two medium sized) and two medium carrots - add chilli flakes or powder to the onion mixture and to the boiling carrot and sweet potato.

When the sweet potato and carrots are cooked through (I usually cook the carrots first and then add the sweet potato as the sweet potato cooks a lot quicker) - strain them and add to the onion and water mixture - liquidize until smooth - add a bit more of the strained juices if it's a bit thick and season to taste.

THIS is gorgeous.

Jamie Oliver did a sweet potato mash on his 30 minutes meals programme. I have copied and pasted the recipe. (I am guessing the olive oil and mango chutney could be left out)

• 700g (1lb 9oz) sweet potatoes
  • A small bunch of fresh coriander
  • 2tbsp mango chutney
  • Soy sauce
  • 2 limes
Wash the sweet potatoes, trim off any gnarly bits, then stab them a few times with a knife. Put in a large microwave-safe bowl, halve one of the limes and add to the bowl, then cover with a double layer of clingfilm and microwave on full power for 12 minutes, or until cooked through.

Finely chop the coriander on a large wooden chopping board, setting a few leaves aside for the garnish. Add the mango chutney, a good splash of soy sauce, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, the juice from ½ a lime and the reserved chopped chilli. Chop and mix everything together on the board.

Get the sweet potatoes out of the microwave and check they are cooked through, then use tongs to squeeze over the juice from the hot lime halves and discard them.

Carefully tip the sweet potatoes on top of the mango chutney mixture and use a knife or masher to chop and mash everything together, including the skins. Season to taste, adding more fresh lime juice if needed.

Back