Sweetners.........confused

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Maisy Mouse, 16 May 2009 Social URL.

Post New ThreadFind New
  1. Maisy Mouse

Maisy Mouse Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    17st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(5.3%)
    Diet:
    weight watchers
    New to this so which sweetners r the best to use as there are a few on the market?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. maggielou

maggielou Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st1lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(14.84%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Maisy I use Splenda all the time now.. I have tried them all but splenda came tops for me. I use the granulated and the tablet. Hope this helps.

4. crazycrafter

crazycrafter I have collar bones!

Start Weight:
    11st2lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(20.51%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I use Canderel granulated, and Splenda tablets. We were given money off coupons for the granulated.

5. eternity

eternity Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(42.61%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    SW
    I use Splenda granulated and tabs too

6. Maisy Mouse

Maisy Mouse Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    17st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(5.3%)
    Diet:
    weight watchers
    busy writing shopping list so will add them both & see what Tesco have. Thanks everyone x

7. Indieflower

Indieflower I have my mojo

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st13lb(39.27%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Red
    I like to make sure I get a sweetener that doesn't contain Aspartame....a nasty little chemical! I know that Splenda definitely doesn't have it :)

K xx

8. ConfusedGirl

ConfusedGirl Full Member

Does anyone use that silverspoon one? Was gonna get some today, 75p from tesco! But changed my mind cos not sure how it tastes lol. I get that sweet N low one from asda at the minute its only £1!

9. ConfusedGirl

ConfusedGirl Full Member

What is aspartame? Oh no mine has this in!! :eek: I thought mine was called sweet n low but just checked and its actually called simply sweet.

10. Indieflower

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st13lb(39.27%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Red
    Apologies for the long post, but this is what I found to sum it up best. I avoid this like the plague! You will find it in alot of Sugar free squash as well.

Aspartame changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, blocking or lowering the levels of serotonin, tyrosine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. Therefore, it is typical that aspartame symptoms cannot be detected in lab tests and on x-rays. Textbook disorders and diseases may actually be a toxic load as a result of aspartame poisoning.

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

Side effects can occur gradually, can be immediate, or can be acute reactions

According to Lendon Smith, M.D. there is an enormous population suffering from side effects associated with aspartame. Then, there are users who don’t ‘appear’ to suffer immediate reactions at all. Even these individuals are susceptible to the long-term damage caused by excitatory amino acids, phenylalanine, methanol, and DKP.
    Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:
    Eye
    blindness in one or both eyes
    decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
    pain in one or both eyes
    decreased tears
    trouble with contact lenses
    bulging eyes
    Ear
    tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
    severe intolerance of noise
    marked hearing impairment
    Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    headaches, migraines and (some severe)
    dizziness, unsteadiness, both
    confusion, memory loss, both
    severe drowsiness and sleepiness
    paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
    severe slurring of speech
    severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors
    Psychological/Psychiatric
    severe depression
    irritability
    aggression
    anxiety
    personality changes
    insomnia
    phobias
    Chest
    palpitations, tachycardia
    shortness of breath
    recent high blood pressure
    Gastrointestinal
    nausea
    diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
    abdominal pain
    pain when swallowing
    Skin and Allergies
    itching without a rash
    lip and mouth reactions
    hives
    aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma
    Endocrine and Metabolic
    loss of control of diabetes
    menstrual changes
    marked thinning or loss of hair
    marked weight loss
    gradual weight gain
    aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    severe PMS
    Other
    frequency of voiding and burning during urination
    excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
    increased susceptibility to infection
    Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
    death
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects, including mental retardation
    peptic ulcers
    aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
    hyperactivity in children
    severe depression
    aggressive behavior
    suicidal tendencies
    Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Epstein-Barr
    Post-Polio Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Grave’s Disease
    Meniere’s Disease
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    ALS
    Epilepsy
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    EMS
    Hypothyroidism
    Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
    Fibromyalgia
    Lupus
    non-Hodgkins
    Lymphoma
    Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

Aspartame poisoning is commonly misdiagnosed because aspartame symptoms mock textbook ‘disease’ symptoms, such as Grave’s Disease.

11. paperclip

paperclip Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(13.04%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    Sticking up for science

Kerry is right that there is a lot of controversy about the sweetener Aspartame, but please don't be overly alarmed. If you choose to avoid it, that's entirely up to you and you won't be doing yourself any harm, but if you do have small amounts every day/week/month/year, you're highly likely to be fine as well.

An aside, but possibly interesting for anyone vaguely interested in science and how it affects us - diets are heavily spoken about in connection with science. If you're busy, skip over this! Please note I'm not disagreeing with Kerry or want to start a debate on Aspartame, but science is misunderstood and as the general public, you're entitled to understand it better!
    To give you some background to science (and its misunderstandings) - anyone can call themselves a scientist and anyone can publish results of experiments or research carried out. In fact, right now I'm publishing this. I'll tell you that three of my t-shirts got hit by bird poo on the washing line today while they were drying. What does this mean for the danger of washing getting hit by bird poo you may ask? Answer - no-one knows - I haven't told you enough about my 'study' on bird-poo, t-shirts and washing lines, and nor has my methods of studying said washing events been independently evaluated by a leading expert in the field. For research to be credible, it must have been published in an open, peer-reviewed journal with full details of the study, which in turn, must be relevant to the statements we use to summarise and apply the results of such research.

Secondly, side effects/symptoms. If I got 100 of you to take part in an approved clinical trial I have now, following all the restrictions above (do the experiments properly and fairly, get them published, etc etc) and 80 of you lost weight, 6 had a runny nose (it is pollen time after all), twenty of you felt bloated (green days anyone?), one had diarrhoea (dodgy curry?), and one was sick in the mornings (pitter patter of tiny feet?), I would still have to publish all of these things as confirmed side effects of the drug I was testing. Whether you would have had these symptoms anyway, I can't say, but I must say that because, when you were taking the drug, you experienced these things, they may have something to do with the drug.

Now look at the list of things aspartame might be causing. Is it aspartame, or is it not?

Food for thought?

Indieflower likes this.
  12. Indieflower

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st13lb(39.27%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Red
    Entirely true Paperclip, and definitely food for thought! But for me, I choose not to take the risk. Without doubt no one should be overly alarmed, in moderation I should imagine effects would not be felt.

The way I like to look at these things are, many years ago it was thought that Tobacco could do us no harm!! A scientfic stance is always subject to change :):)

K xx

13. Cinnamon_Girl

Cinnamon_Girl Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I avoid aspartame too! When I was in the states I was alarmed to see Aspartame had to be labeled on every food product, some even looked like the warnings you see on cigarette packets but it isn't labeled on anything over here, only if you study the ingredients! Worrying! Anywho, so cos of this i use Splenda.

14. paperclip

paperclip Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(13.04%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    Aspartame is usually labelled differently over here - you'll normally see the mention of 'contains a source of phenylalanine' - check a can of diet coke next time and you'll see it. In the USA, they say what that source usually is (Aspartame - this breaks down in the body to give the natural amino acid phenyalanine).

There's a few unfortunately folk who can't have phenylalanine in their diet, so anything that contains it, or a source of it, must be very clearly labelled.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.