Syn day?

I'm just beginning so things seem so confusing at the moment, you get told one thing, then someone else says something else. I'm sure I'll get to grips with it eventually.

Mummy Helen...do you go to group? Or use Lifeine Online? The answers are ALL there. Not peopl's misleading opinions of right and wrong, but the FACTS as stipulated by Slimming World. MUCH less confusing for you x

"At Slimming World we don't recommend that you save all your Syns up for the week, just so you can have a few drinks on a Saturday night. Depriving yourself throughout that week is like putting yourself in a tight corset. Before the Saturday night arrives, that corset could well have been flung off, and your eating plan been pushed aside for the week…then the month…then the year.

Food Optimising means that you can allow yourself a flexible Syn day once in a while, and not have to save up Syns beforehand, or deprive yourself afterwards"

"Q: Can I save up my Syns for the weekend?

A: Yes, if you want to, some people like to do this. Do consider though, whether you really will be happy depriving yourself for most of the week. You may prefer to be flexible with your Syns and increase your Syn allowance for a night out or a special occasion"

Yes I do go to class, and thats what I'm saying, my consultant said you could use 10 a day OR 70 a week, and now I'm hearing different, I wasn't accusing anyone of giving me misguided facts, maybe my consultant just didn't explain it very well and meant that you could only do it every now and then, but she didn't actually say that. Thats why I'll clarify with her tonight.

I'm glad I have you all to keep me on track though!

I do it every week because I always fail at weekends.My ex consultant told me to do it.My losses have been consistent since I started .I find it more sustainable as I have something to look forward to and dont feel limited every day.With ee its easy to save them.

I do wonder if some C's ignore all the training and make up their own rules within rules :-/

I think it all depends on the person,
it can work for some people and not others!

i normally have between 2-5 syns a day during week and on a sat nite i have around 50-60!

i ve only been doing s.w for 3weeks this time and have lost i stone 2lbs it hasnt interfered!

and the last time i did s.w a few years ago i lost 6 stone and done excactly the same thing!

but if some weeks i didnt lose much id just tweak it about abit!

I think your probably right but if it works for you then I don't see the problem with it.

i think you have to be flexible especially if you have tried and failed on diets before.. SW EE is so easy even i am losing weight... and i have tried everything!! you have to find what works for you following it to the letter might work for one and not the other as long as the principle is there?!?
;)

I think the reason that people think that a flexi-syn day should only be an occasional treat is because it eliminates what makes Slimming World a sustainable way of eating/life. Many diets fail because you are restricted to only the 'diet' food in the day and there is no scope for error. Saving all your syns up for 1 day on a regular basis means that you're living that restricted way 90% of the time then effectively bingeing.

My mother in law also follows Slimming World and she saves all her syns for drinks on the weekend but that means that through the week she's constantly saying "I can't eat that" if someone offers her something she'd have to syn. She's getting good losses now but personally I couldn't eat like that permanently.

You could try having a Syn box. basically you put your syn allowance for snacks in a container and pick at it throughout the week. If you know there's always a treat you could have if you wanted you're more likely to stick to it.

I think the idea of having a 'syn' box is a really good one, never thought of that but I'm going to get myself a box and put some nice treats in there so at least if I fancy something its there and also if I've not used my syns then I can just grab something quickly from there.

I do wonder if some C's ignore all the training and make up their own rules within rules :-/

Consultants are like drivers, the road planners are the people at HQ, they know the science and how it should work, the consultants are the ones who see why it doesn't they notice when people miss the stop sign, or the lights are out of sync. they then come up with improvements that they suggest and try out, they share ideas and best of all they can feed these ideas back and the plans change.

Yes there are some bad consultants but most want to see people do well so by saying aim for 10 syns not the 15 they are protecting the people who genuinely make mistakes how many people have weighed out 28g of cheese and been so busy watching kids cooking tea the bit over has gone in the mouth.

Mummy Helen...do you go to group? Or use Lifeine Online? The answers are ALL there. Not peopl's misleading opinions of right and wrong, but the FACTS as stipulated by Slimming World. MUCH less confusing for you x

I find this rude we have been asked to share what we do and why that is what a forum is about your post shows how SW say you can but we don't recommend it. So even the official line is confusing. No one is misleading anyone we are all adults we ask then we can take on board or disregard information.

I always have about 5 syns a day and save the rest to have about 30 or more on a Saturday for a good drink. If I didn't do this then I would feel deprived and restricted and more like I was on a diet. I eat so many lovely syn free or very low syn SW meals that I don't miss having more than 5 syns. Sometimes I'll blow 15 syns on a chocolate bar but it will usually still bring me to under 105 for the week.

This works well for me. My losses are small but I'm enjoying myself and not feeling deprived. I've kept this up for over a year now and lost well over 3 stone so I'm happy.

I think the best thing to do is to start off with what your consultant says and then experiment with varying how you do your syns. If your losses slow down then go back to what you were doing before. You need to do what is right for you and gives you the losses you are happy with.

As I'm getting nearer to target I'm finding it harder to lose. However, I love my food and drink too much to cut down on anything so instead I've increased my exercise which seems to have helped. I think once I reach target I can reduce my exercise and then hopefully maintain on what I'm eating and drinking now.

I think do it, if its one day a week and you know in yourself that you will not syn any other day then enjoy it allows you to have a few drinks and enjoy a meal without counting your syns x

I do exercise too, I go swimming every week day morning, and also do the wii fit in the evenings, plus I'm walking a lot more now, instead of driving. I still like the idea of the syn box so I'm definitely going to give that a shot. I hardly ever drink, so I don't miss that so much, my vice is the chocolate. But a fun size every now and then would at least satisfy the tastebuds.

It wasn't intended to be rude, but if that's how you chose to interpret it, then fair enough.

I like your analogy, but I would say SW writes the highway code, and the C's teach it. The ONLY correct way is SW's.

I'm sure nobody intended to be rude or cause offence to anyone. We're all here for the same reasons. And I appreciate all the advice and suggestions mentioned. xx

Back