Syn free burger problem

catswhiskas

Last night i attempted to make quorn spicy bean burgers. However, I couldn't get them to bind? So I put them in the pan and they just fell apart? I have got half the mixture in the fridge. Any idea how I can make it stick better? Here is the recipe:

frylight
200g chestnut or button mushroomsfinely chopped
salt and pepper
400g can kidneybeans
1 onion peeled and finely choppped
1 garlic clove , peeled and finely chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
small bunch of coriander - stalks removed
350g pack Quorn mince
2 med eggs

Spray large nonstick pan with frylight
Fry onion and garlic.
Add chopped mushroomsand season and fry on high for 5 mins
take off heat

Drain the beans thoroughly, place in a bowl and roughly mash with potato masher or fork
Add the onion, garli, chilli and mushrooms

finely chop coriander leaves and add to bean mixture with quorn mince.
Add the beaten eggs and stir to mix well
season and divide into 8 portions
shape each portion into burgers

Heat a large nonstick pan and sray the burger on both side with frylight
when pan hot add the burgers and cook for 6-7 minson each side until golden brown and crispy

I have found completely by accident that mine bind better without the egg the egg seems to make it sloppy and break up.

What about adding some fresh breadcrumbs so it soaks up some of the moisture and using the bread as a heb.

Or make something completely different like a shepherds pie type thing.

So how would I make bread crumbs? That does sound like a fab idea? I have put the egg in now so don't think I could turn it into a chilli :(

To make them you can grate the bread or use hand held blender.

What about a meatloaf sounds like the ingredients are all there, make it in to a rectangle shape put on baking paper or frylighted baking tray and bake at 180 for 25/30 mins until it feels firm.

Did you refirgerate them after you shped them? That helps, as does freezing them before you ccok them x

I was going to suggest putting them in the fridge. Also I don't use any egg or breadcrumbs in my recipe, just mince and herbs and spices. Shape and put in the fridge for a couple of hours and then cook.

Thanks guys for all your help...... will see if They will work this time with some bread crumbs, if not will make a meat loaf. You lot are ace!

Whenever I make homemade burgers, I always make them the night before, cover them and put them in the fridge, im doing that tonight for tomorrows burgers, they come out lovely and the dried herbs and onions smell gorgeous! xx

if you don't mind mixed flavour you could whizz it in food processor. I like to freeze mine as I find they are more moist when cooked.

Back