Green Days syn free smoothies

Laddiesboy

I ♥ Slimming World :)
Hi all

I have a smoothie maker, and I'm not afraid to use it lol. I got it for christmas last year, and have only this morning taken it out of the box to use it.

I decided to mix up my 350ml skimmed milk (HEa) with a couple of bananas (-) to have for breakfast. The only problem was it was pretty bland.

Considering all the freebies we are allowed on green I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for smoothies?

I wonder if a Mullerlight thrown in might liven things up a little?

Please post any syn free / low syn ideas you might have and I will be more than happy to try them out :)

Thanks

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you mash or blend fruit, as you do in making a smoothie, then they are no longer syn-free. I can't remember how many syns you have to count for a mashed banana and don't have time at the mo to look it up but I'm sure someone will come along with the answer. But in short there are no syn-free smoothies.

I know its a bummer. I love smoothies.

I think it's the way we digest the food.

OMG!

I just peeled and weighed a banana, works out at over 6 syns!!

Have had to swap my dinner for tonight for one I was having later in the week to squeeze the unplanned syns in lol.

So glad I found out now, not later in the week! Thanks :)

when food is processed or cooked it breaks down the cellulose around each cell of the plant material

think orange here - an orange is full of little cells all containing juice
if you get rid of the cells (eg juicing) or cook them (they burst) the body does not have to work so hard to digest the food - therefore more of the fruit sugars are available to the body for far less effort

I do hope that science bit makes sense - let me know if you need further clarification

Aaleigha, thanks for the explanation, that does of course make sense now you have explained it. I need to be more careful about making assumptions lol.

tweety, I had already considered doing that and had I have enjoyed it more I would have been happy to do that - just count my syns amongst my daily plans. I was planning on trying different concoctions and recipes, but as it is gonna cost me a few syns each time I would rather use the syns on foods I prefer to have :)

Thanks

not only the science bit but imagine how much fruit you can drink rather than chew and eat - even the act of chewing uses more calories than a quick swallow

when you think of all the science behind slimming world its really not surprising you can eat so much and still lose weight :)

Thank you Aaleigha for explaining it so well.
I often try to explain to people why squeezed/cooked/dried fruit is syned but could never explain it as clearly as you have so they did'nt believe me. Now they may!

I am sure they will believe you
its surprising at how much knowledge I accumulated on my last SW journey (I am a have to know type person so researched like mad) and its stayed with me - knowing all this and also knowing I can eat what I like on ww and not what is good for me - and in a far more natural way more as our ancestors did - what made me try ww - it worked for a bit but I soon started pushing the boundaries eating so much processed foods and filling up on free veg :)

I also love smoothies and when started SW was gutted I couldn't have them every Saturday like I used to.

I now do the following. It does sound odd but stick with me...

Get a berry flavoured muller light out of the fridge and bring it to room temp. Get some frozen berries from the supermarket and defrost (at room temp) a handful. When the berries defrost them go really soft and release a lot of juice. In a tall glass mix the almost warmish yoghurt (it will be looser than normal due to the temp) and mix in the berries and the berry juice and stir. Drink!!

It is a yughurty version of a smoothie but I love it and it cures my craving when I need one!!

Hope that helps.

The other main thing with smoothies is you consume a much larger quatity of calories than you do with eating the fruit. Could you sit and eat 3 bananas, a pot of yogurt a hanndfull of berries, a dozen strawberries and two kiwis all in one 10 minute sitting. that is exactly what happens when you drink a smoothie. You would need to eat all the fibre that has been left behind for the smoothie to be good for you xx

Back