Syn in energy gels

MissBlueEyes

I've been running a while now and I know before I tackle any run longer than 5k my body will require me to have something as I run. I've been looking into the runners gels that are recommended to have one every half hour to replace carbohydrates burnt.

My question is how many syns are in these energy gels??

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

They're roughly 100 calories, so approx 5 syns. Have you tried doing further with no fuel? I find I need water from about 8-10 miles and then some kind of fuel for anything past 12 miles, I haven't found anyone who has needed fuel for less than 8 miles before (although I realise everyone is different!).

I'm not sure if it's a fluid or energy problem. I start to feel dizzy and spaced out.

Going to try having either a banana or oats 30-60 mins before I run and try and keep myself hydrated during the day prior to running.

Sounds like a good idea. Porridge is great pre-run, I always have porridge with chopped banana before a race (and when I'm not following slimming world, a spoon of Nutella mixed in....drool!).

I'm running Friday so will let you know how it goes. Strange because last time I felt like that I was running 10k not just 5k.

Still if there's a prob that needs sorting it's easier if I can do it with sw free food. :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

Yeah definitely. I find SW more than sufficient fuel wise for running, I think timing of food is important too, as you want to give yourself an energy boost an hour or two before. If you don't have a hex b to spare pre run then a yoghurt and banana would be a good choice too.

Your muscles should have enough energy for about 45-60 minutes vigorous exercise. Sugar in the form of glycogen is stored in muscle tissue for immediate release. Further energy must come from the gut or liver. A High5 energy gel 100g contains 224 calories, which would be about 1.5 - 2km worth of effort depending on weight and fitness. If you exercise for weight loss, don't eat extra for it. Your liver will then replace your muscle glycogen from your fat reserves or currently digesting food. I have a gel on a long run or bike ride >90minutes to avoid "the bonk" when all available glycogen is depleted.

I used to eat skittles on my way around a run as well, I found they were better than the gels as I could have a smaller amount of them if needed and also tasted nicer. They'd be easier to syn but to be honest when I had them I was marathon training so I didn't following slimming world on a day I had a long run. Just the days in between.

Back