Syn Valued Resturaunt Meals...

My C said something about it being £200 to be assessed by SW or something. If that's per item it's a hell of a lot of money to get a whole menu approved!

About the 82 syn pudding wouldnt it have been great if there had been a sw alternative at a low syn value replacing the cream with yog or similar.

There are loads of sw alternative recipies that could bring syn values right down.

I like the idea of maybe opening a resturaunt of our own that would be focused on healthy eating and could have syn and points values with low syn alternatives available on request, Eve certainly has the skills to produce all these......

So keep the replies commin please was hoping for a lot more than the response i have had so far...

A huge thanx to all who have posted all your feedback is being noted..

xxx

Gra

I think you're going off on a different subject there. While many chain restaurants will probably be quite happy to provide synformation (see what I did there ;)) on their menu's changing it is a different kettle of fish!!!

I would love it if I could eat out for once without worrying about how many hidden syns there are. I usually have to work out where i'll be eating and what to eat before I even get there... kinda spoils the fun in eating out to be honest
But if there were syns already shown on the menu it would be so much easier and I think i'd be alot more confident about ordering than I am now :)

I would LOVE this sort of information! I find eating out SO difficult, all that trying to estimate what syns are likely to be in this or that - it takes a lot of the pleasure out of it!

I seem to remember years ago a restaurant chain or franchise called something like 'Skinny Lizzie's', but it certainly didn't last. Maybe it was ahead of its time, but surely NOW there is room for a low calorie, healthy eating chain? Or would people still not choose to go there?

Judging by the number of cookery programmes and articles that use such ridiculous ingredients - double cream, butter, oil, chocolate etc etc, perhaps it is NOT what people want. I remember a discussion on here a year or so ago, when lots of us said that we would love a Slimming World friendly type of cookery programme for a change!

Anyway, I would definitely support any campaign which gave us more information about syn values on menus - feel sure it would boost trade!

I was discussing this very thing with my husband and he agreed that it would be a great idea to have syn values, maybe just for the low syn stuff, so like Blah-yummy food item- only FIVE syns per portion... :)

*B U M P*

great input thanks to all who have replied so far..

only one thing...

133 views and only 16 responses come on what does it take to write a few words people.....

:)

Hmm, not quite sure those words would encourage people to post....:rolleyes:

Anyway, here's my opinion for what it's worth:-

This is a very good idea for those places which give you the same portion regardless of where you eat it - eg Brewers fayre. If you have a lasagne in a brewers fayre in one town, it will be the same as in another as they just ping it so this would work well.

For places which cook from scratch then it would be more difficult as all ingredients would need to be synned and then divided into the portions.

For me, I think the beauty of SW is that you can have a good idea of what you can and can't have - if I go out I'll have a steak, new pots (without butter) and peas and salad. This is pretty much a free meal on SW. If I go out for lunch, a jacket spud with beans and salad is a free meal too.
If I go to an Italian restaurant (my fave) then it's obvious to me that the creamy based sauces are a no-no and the tomato based sauces are good.
We have so many free foods on SW I personally think it's easy to make good choices, but then I've been doing this a long time. Also, I think people often forget or choose not to talk to the chef or serving staff - the paying customer can ask for no dressing, not butter, less oil when frying the steak etc etc.

So, in answer to your original post, I'm not sure it would make any difference to me but I can see how it would help others.

yep i think it would only really work in the big chains as jaylou said as they tend to have the same portion sizes etc but yes omg it would be fantastic and i would eat out!!
at the moment im too scared to eat out!!

That's a good point about asking the staff. I went out for lunch with a fellow WW recently and we deliberated over the soup on the menu. So when the waitress came over she asked could the waitress ask the chef what was in it. No problem. The girl came back with a list of all the ingredients. I have to admit it would never have occured to me to do that but my friend has done it several times since and it's never been a problem. Maybe we should all get into the habit of asking more questions & making our plans that bit easier to stick to :)

Everyone is different. For me, as I don't get to eat out very often and the SW plan MUST fit in with my life, I choose whatever I fancy to eat and deal with no weight loss or gain as it happens. I'm thrilled when I get to eat out and so order with a devil may care attitude. For people who eat out on a regular basis it would be difficult to lose weight doing this and they must make healthier choices, some of which may not be obvious unless you are very familiar with the plan.

I also think that large chains or singular restaurants are both equally able to accurately syn a meal. The option to have a healthier choice, as in the eton mess, would also be valuable as maybe the other member of the party are not on SW or have my attitude!;)

I think it would be a really good idea.

A pub in my village me is run by a SW member. She's persuaded her chef to adapt some of their menus to be SW-friendly. Although they've not been approved by SW, she has basically worked out the syn contents & has printed menus for our group. There are about six low syn meals, including their Sunday roast. This appeals to me because I quite often eat out on a Sunday. It's great to know I can get a low syn roast. Yum yum!

Back