Syns in Chinese Noodles ? Also confusion over HEX

BigChief

First off getting close to target now so thanks to everyone who has been answering my questions over the past month or so :)

I was planning on attempting to make a stir fry tonight. I got some chinese noodles and some blue dragon stir fry sachets. I cant seem to find the specific brand on the slimming world website but from what i can gather noodles are free. My question is are they free or is it only certain types ?

Next question :p

Over the past 8 weeks i have been using my Healthy option B on a piece of bread. Sometimes i will have more than 1 piece so i will syn the second one as expected at 3 syns.

The past week i have found a tasty snack that i prefer which is mini pizzas made with a 57g wholemeal bap which replaces the piece of bread. Due to them both being healthy option B's i figured that they would be the same syns values. Last night i found them in my book while skimming through and they were 6.

My question is how 1 slice of bread and 1 57g roll be so different in syns especially since they are both healthy extras.

If anyone can enlighten me on this i would really appreciate it as currently it stands that i had about 30 more syns last week than i thought i had :p

Cheers,
JP

The bread will be the same weight. I think it's the really small bread buns you can have. I'd weigh the buns you've got just to make sure. A full size bread bun is a round 13.5 syns.

If the noodles are dried and with no seasoning/flavours on the they will be free.
If they are cooked noodles they are about 2 syns per 100g, as there is some oil used.

Noodles: usually dried noodles with no added flavours etc are free. If they're semi-cooked, chilled or have flavours etc added they are probably synned. If you post the nutritional values someone will calculate it for you.

Bread: 57g of wholemeal bread is a HEX, and like I said in an earlier post 1 HEXB is about 6 syns - NOT 3. This *usually* equates to 1 slice from a large (800g) loaf or 2 slices from a small (400g) loaf.

If youre using the extra bread as syns you you should check exactly what brand and size it is to calculate the right amount of syns. If you dont know just weigh it - 57g of any wholemeal bread is 1 HEX or 6 syns as its always 1 syn per 20 calories.

I dont know where you got the idea a HEX was 3 syns from? Maybe you were using 2 small (400g) slices as a HEX, as they would be 3 syns each? But as 2 small slices are 1 HEX thats still 6 syns. If its a larger loaf its 1 slice as a HEX so 6 syns for the slice.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Sorry have repeated a lot of what Soph said as she posted while I was still typing, it takes me weeks to type stuff out :D

I think it's the really small bread buns you can have. I'd weigh the buns you've got just to make sure. A full size bread bun is a round 13.5 syns.

yeah I think I've only ever met one bread roll that was 57g, theyre *miniscule*! :D A 'normal' bread roll will be at least twice that size. :(

Couple of things to respond to :p

First off i just checked the book and think i see were i went wrong. It says

Wholemeal Bread Full Size 400/800g loaf
Thin Slice 3
Medium Slice 4
Large slice 5

But in my defense shouldn't there be a separate section for the 400g and the 800g loaf ?

Secondly the baps that i am using are attually 61g i let myself off with the extra few grams :p But it is quite a nice size of a bap. Probably about the length of a credit card . If anyone interested in getting them for yourself i can try and find an empty packet and get the name :) Just leave a comment.

Kinda disappointed now as it means that my mini pizzas are only to be had once a day. I tend to save my syns for chocolate :) And occasionally Beer :)

Couple of things to respond to :p

First off i just checked the book and think i see were i went wrong. It says

Wholemeal Bread Full Size 400/800g loaf
Thin Slice 3
Medium Slice 4
Large slice 5

But in my defense shouldn't there be a separate section for the 400g and the 800g loaf ?

Yeah that's rubbish, definitely not written clearly :confused:

p. 24 of the Food Optimising book is better. Basically the rule is 57g is a HEX/6 syns. Enjoy your pizzas :)

like Erms said, the easiest way to make sure you have the correct HEb's, is to just remember 57g of any wholewheat bread = 1 HEb

the stir fry sauces are always going to be 1 syn for every 20 calories, as they have no free food allowance.

noodles must be the dry plain variety to count as free.

Back