Syns - on snacks/meals/both

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by gobolino, 19 November 2009.

1. gobolino

gobolino Well-Known Member

Do you think you have a better day (ie stick within your daily syns or feel more in control of your eating) if you have your syns for your snacks, for your meals or a bit of both ?

I've been going off plan over the last few days and wondering about where is best to use syns in order to feel more in control.
  2. malaika

malaika Lover of Extra Easy

Personally, I try and make all my meals (or my hubby does, as he does most of the cooking) syn free and use my syns for my tipple and anything else I fancy.
    Doing EE is so easy, I feel I am stuffed with syn free meals without "wasting" my syns.
    Perhaps that is because my taste buds have changed drastically and I really prefer plainer meals with no sauces or gravy etc.
    Everyone is different, so what works for you is just fine.
  3. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

It's not that one is better than the other - it's more what fits with your lifestyle and enables you to stay on plan. Some people use all their syns on alcohol, chocolate and crisps and none on cooking. I don't drink or eat any of those things and not having any syns to use in cooking would bore me rigid. I use my syns to enhance the taste, variety and range of meals I have. This means I eat the same as people who are not on the plan instead of having to stick to SW recipes, syn-free meals or recipes that use food in bizarre ways just so it becomes low syn. If I want to use coconut milk or cream in a recipe then I do.
  4. gobolino

gobolino Well-Known Member

Thanks both - I think I just need to find what suits me.... hit and miss with me just now :)
  5. Honeyoc

Honeyoc Is a crunchy mama!

I agree with you 100%! I'm don't like frylight at all and splenda makes me break out in a rash so I use olive oil and sugar/honey in my cooking. Having said that, I discovered a lovely cooking spray with a little less oil than frylight so I'll be using that instead. Bought it in Australia though! LOL!
  6. Lindyxx

Lindyxx Well-Known Member

I do EE, and personally think there is enough food u can eat for free with out having to use syns, I usally save mine up for the weekend when I go out, this keeps me on track cos I have something to look forward to at the weekend, so dont really feel deprived of anything. I usually use no more than 5 syns a day ( and save the rest) on things like mayo and ketchup.
  7. Lonestitcher

Lonestitcher Well-Known Member

I use them for both, depending on how I'm feeling.

Usual for me is to have 10.5 syns a day on 42g of Minstrels, but the other day I didn't feel like making a curry from scratch and so used a jar mix. 1/2 a jar counted for 9 syns, so I cut back on the amount of chocolate.

Some days its just spent on chocolate, some days 50:50, other days all meal (take-away chow mein ;)). I don't have fixed days of what to spend my syns on, but remember EVERYTHING has a cost and reward.

Syn free meals = More chocolate treats
    Syns in meals = Less cooking if I'm short of time
    Syns all in meals = No cooking time and usually a 'treat' meal.
  8. jerricebenton

jerricebenton Well-Known Member

I do EE, so rarely need to use syns in my meals (though I usually keep 3 or 4 aside for things like gravy or mayo). I use mine for treat or snacks.
  9. Mrs V

Mrs V Loves Life!

I use my syns for both too. Yesterday I had mayo and tomato sauce with my meals, but today I feel like I need crisps and chocolate, so my syns are all going on that.