Syns - on snacks/meals/both

gobolino

Gold Member
Do you think you have a better day (ie stick within your daily syns or feel more in control of your eating) if you have your syns for your snacks, for your meals or a bit of both ?

I've been going off plan over the last few days and wondering about where is best to use syns in order to feel more in control.

Personally, I try and make all my meals (or my hubby does, as he does most of the cooking) syn free and use my syns for my tipple and anything else I fancy.
Doing EE is so easy, I feel I am stuffed with syn free meals without "wasting" my syns.
Perhaps that is because my taste buds have changed drastically and I really prefer plainer meals with no sauces or gravy etc.
Everyone is different, so what works for you is just fine.

It's not that one is better than the other - it's more what fits with your lifestyle and enables you to stay on plan. Some people use all their syns on alcohol, chocolate and crisps and none on cooking. I don't drink or eat any of those things and not having any syns to use in cooking would bore me rigid. I use my syns to enhance the taste, variety and range of meals I have. This means I eat the same as people who are not on the plan instead of having to stick to SW recipes, syn-free meals or recipes that use food in bizarre ways just so it becomes low syn. If I want to use coconut milk or cream in a recipe then I do.

Thanks both - I think I just need to find what suits me.... hit and miss with me just now :)

It's not that one is better than the other - it's more what fits with your lifestyle and enables you to stay on plan. Some people use all their syns on alcohol, chocolate and crisps and none on cooking. I don't drink or eat any of those things and not having any syns to use in cooking would bore me rigid. I use my syns to enhance the taste, variety and range of meals I have. This means I eat the same as people who are not on the plan instead of having to stick to SW recipes, syn-free meals or recipes that use food in bizarre ways just so it becomes low syn. If I want to use coconut milk or cream in a recipe then I do.

I agree with you 100%! I'm don't like frylight at all and splenda makes me break out in a rash so I use olive oil and sugar/honey in my cooking. Having said that, I discovered a lovely cooking spray with a little less oil than frylight so I'll be using that instead. Bought it in Australia though! LOL!

I do EE, and personally think there is enough food u can eat for free with out having to use syns, I usally save mine up for the weekend when I go out, this keeps me on track cos I have something to look forward to at the weekend, so dont really feel deprived of anything. I usually use no more than 5 syns a day ( and save the rest) on things like mayo and ketchup.

I use them for both, depending on how I'm feeling.

Usual for me is to have 10.5 syns a day on 42g of Minstrels, but the other day I didn't feel like making a curry from scratch and so used a jar mix. 1/2 a jar counted for 9 syns, so I cut back on the amount of chocolate.

Some days its just spent on chocolate, some days 50:50, other days all meal (take-away chow mein ;)). I don't have fixed days of what to spend my syns on, but remember EVERYTHING has a cost and reward.

Syn free meals = More chocolate treats
Syns in meals = Less cooking if I'm short of time
Syns all in meals = No cooking time and usually a 'treat' meal.

I do EE, so rarely need to use syns in my meals (though I usually keep 3 or 4 aside for things like gravy or mayo). I use mine for treat or snacks.

I use my syns for both too. Yesterday I had mayo and tomato sauce with my meals, but today I feel like I need crisps and chocolate, so my syns are all going on that.

Back